Licence laws for International drivers in Melbourne, Victoria 2011-2012
Foreigners, tourists, students, expats and other travelers, do you have a valid licence to drive in Melbourne? To make this guide useful and easy to understand, it has been divided into two sections – Drivers with a temporary visa, and Drivers with a permanent visa. Check out an overview of the latest licence laws (2011-2012) given by Vicroads that apply to you as an international driver in Melbourne and the state of Victoria in Australia.
Contact the immigration department if you are not sure whether you are on a temporary visa or a permanent visa.
International drivers with a temporary visa
A tourist, student or a limited work visa are generally classified as a temporary visa. If you are on a temporary visa and are going to be in the state of Victoria, Australia on a temporary basis you can drive on your overseas licence subject to the following conditions.
- Your overseas driving licence should be current and valid
- Your overseas driving licence should be in English and if it isn't, the licence should be accompanied by a valid translation
- You may drive on a valid International Driving Permit which is in English
International drivers with a permanent visa
If you are on a permanent visa and wish you drive on Victorian roads, you are free to do so on the basis of your overseas licence subject to the following conditions.
- Your overseas licence should be current, in English or accompanied by a valid translation, or an International Driving Permit
- You can drive on your overseas licence only for 6 months from the date you entered in Australia if your permanent visa was granted to you before you entered the country
- You can drive on your overseas licence only for 6 months from the date a permanent visa was granted to you if your visa was granted while you were in Australia
- To continue driving on Victorian roads after the expiry of this 6 month buffer period, you should either convert your existing licence (if applicable) to a full or probationary Victorian driving licence, or apply for a new Victorian learner permit.
More by this Author
This article matches your body type, attitude, and style with the best Levi's for you. Men, make sure you read this comprehensive buying guide for Levi's jeans before you get your next pair.
Is it a sign that my ex still loves me if he keeps calling me? Find answers to this question and more. This post discusses some of the telltale signs that your ex is still not over you.
Has your boyfriend changed his behavior? This article discusses some of the everyday signs that show that he isn't interested in you or the relationship any longer.
No comments yet.