R32 Skyline Part Weights
Skyline Parts Weight Reference Guide
I have compiled a fairly significant list of R32 Skyline part weights for those who are interested in possibly removing some excess weight from their Skyline, or for those who are just interested in where the weight is.
More than a few Skyline veterans were shocked by just how much weight can be removed from the interior of an R32 Skyline without completely stripping both the front and back. All weights listed in the first list is rear interior and trunk weight only. Nothing removed from the front of the car.
The second list of parts are parts that are not "interior specific". This includes things like the AC system, washer bottle, and a few more items. These are items that can be found mostly in the engine bay. They can be both simple and/or a major pain to remove.
Every item in the picture on the right was painstakingly weighed three times each to ensure there was no variation in the final number that the scale was coming up with. A few of the smaller parts seem to have "interesting" weight numbers, however other people have seen similar numbers, so I'm assuming it is accurate. If you find any weights you feel are innacurate, leave a comment to let me know so I can rectify the problem!
Rear interior + Trunk
- Rear seat belts (minus retractors), rear floor mats, underseat fuzzies, rear trunk carpet, 2 rear rubber strut top covers, OEM scissor jack mount (not the jack itself) = 12.6lb / 5.7kg
- Rear wood spare wheel cover = 3.8lbs / 1.7kg
- Rear speaker tray cover = 3lb / 1.4kg
- Rear firewall cover = 4.6lb / 2.1kg
- Rear upper trim = 4lb / 1.8kg
- Rear lower trim = 6lb / 2.7kg
- Trunk trim side pieces = 1.6lb / 0.7kg
- Trunk cardboard piece behind firewall cover = 0.6lb / 0.3kg
- Upper rear seats = 18lb / 8.2kg
- Lower rear seats = 13.6lb / 6.2kg
- Both rear speakers, oem amplifier, one front speaker = 4.6lb / 2.1kg
- Trunk jack mount + random bracket = 2.2lb / 1kg
- OEM radio, coinslot DIN, drivers side circular vent = 3lb / 1.4kg
- Both rear seatbelt retractors + all bolts and washers = 4.4lb / 2kg
- Spare wheel = 32.4lb / 14.7kg
- Foam pads stuck to rear chassis pieces = 1lb / 0.5kg
- Various rear bolts and screws = 0.2lb / 0.1kg
- All rear sound deadening (under rear seats and all trunk) = 9.6lb / 4.4kg
- Rear wiper assembly + motor = 4.5lb / 2kg
Total weight removed from rear interior = 129.5lb / 58.7kg
Note: It is worth mentioning that all OEM wiring remains intact on my car. There is significant weight that can be removed should you chose to optimize the wiring in the rear of the car. This includes things like rear wiper motor wiring, speaker and aplifier wiring, etc.
Misc Front Interior Part Weights
- Center console with metal bracket = 3.8lb / 1.7kg
- Both front floor mats = 6.4lb / 2.9kg
- Glove box + the piece it swivels on + interior fusebox cover = 3lb / 1.4kg
A/C Related Components
I realized after the fact that everything but the belt pulley and the belt itself were weighed. The official number here on this article is 38.4lb, when in fact it's more likely close to 41lb taking into acount the missing parts.
Removing the A/C is a one man job that will take, at bare minimum, about 3 hours if it's your first time. When removing the A/C, drop the compressor out the bottom of the car. Remove the bracket, too.
A/C System Part Weights
- All A/C Engine bay lines up to the AC matrix = 1.6lb / 0.7kg
- A/C pump and engine block bracket = 20.8lb / 9.4kg
- A/C Radiator fan = 2.8lb / 1.3kg
- A/C Radiator = 7.8lb / 3.5kg
- A/C Matrix (in passenger side dash) = 5.4lb / 2.4kg
Total: 38.4lb / 17.4kg
HICAS System Part Weights
- All fluid, lines, front and rear solenoid = 30.5lb / 13.8kg
The exterior of the R32 GTS-t doesn't share the same aluminum front fenders and hood as the R32 GTR. Significant weight can be decreased by converting a GTR front end. This section is a work in progress.
More parts and assosciated weights will be added when possible. Check back later.
- R32 GTS-t OEM metal hood = 51lb / 23.1kg
- R32 GTR OEM Rear Wing = 12lb / 5.4kg
- R32 GTR OEM Wheel (no tire) = 16lb / 7.3kg
- R32 GTR OEM Hood = 21lb / 9.5kg
Engine Bay Part Weights
- OEM Front strut tower bar = 6.4lb / 2.9kg
More by this Author
I've finally managed to put together an RB20 Camshaft upgrade article, read it here! Nissan's legendary Skyline GTR captured the imagination of millions of fans, appearing in countless movies and video games. Despite...
The Nissan Skyline is legendary, thanks to far too many appearances in video games, movies, and manga. While the car is certainly way too much fun to be legal, it's not without its problems. The RB...
So I finally managed to get around to writing this article, hopefully it's everything you've been hoping for. There's what can only be described as a massive amount of information online regarding the Nissan RB20DET...