It's that time of year when when the weather begins to create driving visibility challenges. In Texas, it seems particularly annoying because we experience so few weather-related annoyances during the rest of the year. We can go months and months without using our wipers. You sometimes have to think about which knob or switch actually turns them on.
You can take a few simple steps to help prevent some of the more common challenges you may be faced with this winter. I particularly dislike foggy windows. I hate getting into a vehicle and watching the windows fog up. The next least favorite is having icy windows. No one wants to stand out in cold weather trying to scrape or de-ice their windows.
Rain-X offers a great group of products that make winterizing your windshield and window glass a breeze. I love how rain repellent their products are. I have driven in heavy downpours without having to use my wipers at all. I highly recommend their products.
Rain-X Washing & Waxing Products
I've heard it said that if you do a thorough wash and wax twice a year, all the other times in between will be much easier. My husband swears by that. Just before the winter, and just before the summer he does a thorough wash and wax to his Mazda Miata.
Rain-X makes some great wash and wax products to help clean and protect your vehicle. They are:
- Bug and Tar Pre-Wash Gel - this product is great for removing tough stains caused by bugs, tar and birds. It does not require scrubbing. You spray it on, let it soak and dissolve the particles, then wash it off. You can use it on the metal, glass and plastic of the exterior of your vehicle. I recommend doing this after long trips or a lengthy night trip.
- Rain-X High Foaming Wash & Wax- this product is a deep cleaning foam that dissolves and lifts the filth that has accumulated on your vehicle's surface. Soft gel Carnauba beads (wax) are suspended in the product that help protect the finish.
- Rain-X Foaming Car Wash Concentrate - This product is a highly concentrated high-foaming wash that reduces spots leaving a high gloss finish. or a high gloss finish.
- Rain-X Fast Wax - This spray-on product can be applied to either a wet or dry surface which makes it far easier to work with than traditional paste car waxes.
Rain-X Wiper Blades
There's nothing worse than getting caught in a heavy rain with a bad set of windshield wipers. I recently swapped vehicles with my daughter only to discover in a heavy rain that her windshield wipers were split. I eventually had to reach up and grab the flopping piece. Do yourself a favor and check your wiper blades often. They recommend that you change them every six months.
Rain-X makes a couple different wiper blades:
- Rain-X Latitude Wiper Blades-they're easy to install, are high performing due to their graphite-coated rubber blade and they are ice resistant because the minimized the amount of exposed metal parts
- Rain-X Weatherbeater Wiper Blades-they're easy to install, made of long-lasting galvanized steel with friction reducing blades made of natural squeegee rubber that resists splitting, cracking or tearing.
Rain-X Glass & WIndshield Products
Rain-X offers a variety of window products. I remember the first time I tried the rain repellent and hit a heavy rainstorm. I didn't have to use my wipers at all. The rain beads up into tiny droplets and slides off the windshield.
- Original Treatment-apply to the exterior of your glass and watch the rain bead up and slide off. It comes in several forms (spray bottle, 3.5 oz bottle, 7 oz. bottle, towelettes, and wipes.
- Glass Cleaner-cuts through tough tree sap, dirt, road grime and bug juice. Safe for tinted windows. Leaves a streak-free clean window.
- New Rain-X X-treme Clean-removes harsh build-up front windshields and headlights. This product actually renews glass and plastic by removing discoloration and haze.
- New Rain-X 2-in-1 Clean & Rain Repellent- a simple spray and wipe product that leaves the windows clean and will now repel rain. Also keeps snow, sleet, bugs, etc. from sticking so easily to the windshield.
- De-Icer - this is a highly concentrated liquid that quickly melts ice and snow from your windshield. They recommend that you start your vehicle and turn on the vehicle's defrosting system. Then you spray your windshield from top to bottom and turn on the wipers.
- Anti-fog - this product comes in a wipe that you apply to the interior mirrors and glass to prevent them from fogging up.
Windshield Washer Fluid- comes in different formulas such as Bug-Remover, All Season 2 in 1, De-Icer, and De-Icer and Bug Remover
Great Links and Resources
- Rain-X: Outsmart the Elements | Wiper Blades, Windshield Treatments, Weather Bug and Tar repellent p
Rain-X: Outsmart the Elements with Rain-X wiper blades, windshield treatments, washes, waxes and tar and bug repellent products
More by this Author
Looking for some last-minute Halloween costume ideas to wear to work? I have lots of cute ideas.
Driving around looking at beautiful Christmas light displays is a fun pastime in Texas. This is a directory of some of the best.
A fascinating look at Beatrice Wood, the woman James Cameron modeled Rose Dewitt Bukater Calvert after in the movie "Titanic".