Revealed! 2011 Jeep Phoenix Based On Fiat Panda 4x4!
Revealed! The 2011 Jeep Phoenix 4x4, a remarkable 1.3 litre, 5 door, four wheel drive mini-Jeep that is going to take the North American market by storm, while still getting almost 59 mpg!
Based on the Fiat Panda Cross 4x4, the Jeep Phoenix is simply rebadged, but completely suited to North American offroad conditions. It is also an exceptional city car that gets far higher mpg than any hybrid on the market, including the Honda Insight and the Toyota Prius. And all that with a conventional gasoline engine with no hybrid technology anywhere!
The new Jeep is very aptly named Phoenix as it is the type of vehicle that will allow Jeep to arise magically from the ashes of the devastated Chrysler. Just days away from what may be the last days of Chrysler, it is important to note that there are virtually no scenarios that allow for the Jeep brand to disappear from the face of the Earth. For many years, Jeep has been the most powerful brand in the Chrysler lineup and it is effectively inconceivable that Jeep will not continue in one way or another even in the death throes of Chrysler: Perhaps as a standalone brand, or maybe as a brand belonging to another major automotive manufacturer
The Panda / Phoenix 4x4 is definitely the way of the future for Jeep. It's a small, incredibly economical and thrifty car that can go anywhere. Yes, its barely 1.3 litre engine would make it the smallest displacement automobile currently sold in the USA with only the Smart Car having a tinier engine, but the Panda / Phoenix delivers. It can very comfortably cruise at highway speeds and the powerplant contains enough grunt to take the little mini-Jeep up frighteningly steep inclines.
With an innovative four wheel drive system which is engaged by viscous coupling with two Electronic Locking Differentials that cut in below 20 mph to brake wheels that find themselves without grip and slipping and proceed to transfer torque to the other wheels, the Panda / Phoenix 4x4 can handle anything the street or the dirt can throw at it.
Here are some specs for the Panda/Phoenix 4x4:
ESTIMATED NORTH AMERICAN PRICE • $10,500
SPECIFICATIONS & OUTPUT
- Body Style • Hatchback
- Doors • Number of • 5
- Seats • Number of • 5
- Engine Displacement (cc) & Cylinders • 1248 / 4
- Valves • Number of • 8
- 1st • 3.909:1
2nd • 2.158:1
3rd • 1.345:1
4th • 0.974:1
5th • 0.744:1
Reverse • 3.818:1
Final drive ratio • 4.062:1
- 4x4 Specs
- Incidence angle • 24°
Exit angle • 42°
Slope angle • 24°
Climbable gradient • 50%
- Type of Fuel • Unleaded
- Maximum Power (bhp @ rpm) • 54 / 5000
- Torque (lb / ft) • 65
- Engine Layout • Front
- Wheel Drive • Four Wheel
- Overall Length (mm) • 3538
- Overall Width (mm) • 1578
- Overall Height (mm) • 1540
- Front Seat Head Room (mm) • 940
- Front Seat Leg Room (mm) • 1010
- Rear Seat Head Room (mm) • 935
- Rear Seat Knee Room (mm) • 585
- Trunk Capacity Seats Up (litres) • 206
- Trunk Capacity Seats Down (litres) • 860
- Turning Radius (m) • 9.1
- Towing Capacity (kg) • 800
- Curb Weight (kg) • 840
- 0 to 60 MPH (secs) • 15
- Top speed (MPH) • 93
EQUIPMENT AVAILABILITY & PRICING
SECURITY & SAFETY FEATURES
- Automatic Transmission • Option Not Available
- Central Locking System • Standard Equipment
- Power Assisted Steering • Standard Equipment
- Seat Belt Pre-Tensioners • Standard Equipment
- Driver Side Airbag • Standard Equipment
- Passenger Side Air Bag • Standard Equipment
- Anti Lock (ABS) Brakes • Standard Equipment
- Vehicle Immobilizer • Standard Equipment
- Visible VIN • Standard Equipment
- Secure Spare Tire • Standard Equipment
- Etched Parts • Standard Equipment
- Window Etching • Standard Equipment
- Side Impact Safety Bars • Standard Equipment
- Rain Sensing Windshield Wipers • Standard Equipment
CONVENIENCE & COMFORT FEATURES
- Adjustable Steering Height • Standard Equipment
- Power Front Windows • Standard Equipment
SOUND, NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS
- Theft Proof Radio • Standard Equipment
- CD With RDS • Standard Equipment
- City MPG • 39.2
- Highway MPG • 58.9
- Combined MPG • 49.6
- Fuel Tank Capacity (gallons) • 7.7
- Carbon Dioxide Rating (g / km) • 135
- Estimated Average Insurance • $273.00
- Percentage Value Retained (3 Years / 36,000 mi) • 33.00%
- Estimated Average Monthly Lease Cost • $175.00
- Maintenance Factor • 24
- Estimated Maintenance Cost Over 3 Years • $680.00
- Maintenance Intervals • 9,000 mi
- Manufacturer's Warranty Term • 3 Year / 40,000 mi
Yes, of course, there is no such thing as the 2011 Jeep Phoenix. Not yet anyway. However, this Hub goes to show how there is no need for extensive redesigning and reskinning of some of the best Fiat models. They can go on sale right away, without having to be extensively modified in any way other than to meet North American safety and emissions regulations!
I've driven a Panda for thousands of miles in Europe and can assure anyone that it is a spectacularly capable car, with ridiculous amounts of room considering the overall size of the vehicle, and more than powerful enough to shred any highway speed limit in North America. It is nothing short of an amazing small car and when dressed up in Phoenix 4x4 garb it will make an astounding, proper, suitable, and extremely welcome economy addition to the Jeep lineup.
I'd buy one as soon as they hit the showrooms. They may not be Chrysler showrooms, but there will be some dealer network somewhere that will carry this exceptional mini 4x4 onroad/offroad great city car!
More by this Author
Sylvester Howard Roper's 1868 steam powered bicycle gave a whole new meaning to steamed buns. The Daimler Maybach Reitwagen Pierre Lallement's 1866 Patent drawing for a pedal bike. Baron Von Drais'...
A reliable, fun, street legal brand new 100cc Honda that gets 100 mpg and costs under $1,000? If Honda was smart enough to bring it from India to North America, they'd sell by the thousands!
This is the definitive guide to the fuel economy of the 250 top-selling motor scooters from 50cc to 800cc expressed in mpg and km/l.