Scooter Performance Upgrades
Scooter Performance Tuning PartsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Scooter Performance Kits
If you are looking for a little more performance from your scooter or moped you might have considered adding some performance upgrade parts for your GY6 Engine. Depending on your scooter size, there are specific scooter parts you can indulge in. What I am going to cover is a small list of GY6 parts that can help boost performance, some which are difficult and some which are easy. Of course, you can never expect any one upgrade to somehow turn your 50cc scooter into a Batman bike. It just won’t happen! Be realistic with your expectations for a performance scooter.
GY6 Performance Upgrades
- Performance Air Filter - Pros are that this gives you unrestricted air flow.
- Performance exhaust – A high quality stainless steel performance pipe will increase power at the low end and also give you some more power at the top end. With the can less restricted and the header pipe a much wider diameter than the stock pipe, it will also give you a nice deep throaty sounding bike.
- Clutch Rollers – Depending on the type of riding you do there are two different upgrades that might suite changing the rollers. A heavy clutch roller kit or a light clutch roller kit is the options. This will determine where the gears grab. The sizes are 5.5 grams for acceleration or 7-8.5 grams for top speed.
- Jet Kit – Increases amount of fuel running through the main jet hole and controls how well the scooter will run when the throttle is most of the way open. Jetting your carburetor can be tricky but usually a slightly running the mixture slightly rich is the best for performance.
- Airbox for the Carburetor – With more gas flowing through the Jet Kit, you will need to also have more air flow for the proper air-gas mixture.
- Big Bore Kit - The pros on the big bore kit is that it gives you more power. The cons are that it reduces the engines life. As well, with scooters and mopeds, you cannot just install a big bore kit without also doing a few more gy6 swaps and parts upgrades. To do a big bore installation you will need to also include the above performance upgrades with it.
- NGK Iridium Spark Plug (if not already equipped) – The iridium spark plug is a great upgrade because of the more consistent and hotter spark. These spark plugs are also more likely to have better durability and last longer.
- (Some of the SAGA Scooters are very easy to upgrade but we don’t recommend until you are comfortable and have the approval from the manufacturers or have spoken to the service tech that has been approved to not void your scooter warranty.)
- Perfromance CDI – A performance CDI (computerized direct injection) for your GY6 is unrestricted which will allow for your motor to reach optimum rpm.
- High Output Coil – A performance coil will give your GY6 motor an enhanced spark, for better startup.If you know of some other nice little upgrades for scooter mopeds please leave a comment for others to read! Thanks.