Selecting the Best Truck Cover for your Pickup
There’s nothing like a pickup truck –unless of course, it is a pickup truck made even better through the addition of a truck topper! Think about it, trucks are such versatile vehicles, offering one extra storage space, easier moves and the ability to haul everything from a tricycle to a generator with ease. Then, when you add a topper or cover, you can now protect the items you are hauling or storing from the elements. Better yet, adding a cover actually improves the trucks fuel efficiency because it makes the vehicle more aerodynamic.
But, you don’t necessarily want to go to a truck toppers store and purchase the first cover you see; you will want to do some homework to help you determine what truck toppers will work best for your truck as well as how you will be using it. Typically, today’s truck toppers are made of either fiberglass or aluminum and each of these have their own advantages. Here is a brief comparison:
- Can be painted to match your truck
- Prices begin at $1,000
- The shells are made from custom molds, which were designed specifically for a particular make, model and year.
- The Fiberglass truck covers are designed to contour around your truck so that there is a nice custom fit.
- Color choices are limited
- Prices start at $400
- They do not contour to your truck
- They are made from a standard mold and are only made to fit the bed of your; the front of the cap may be lower or higher/longer or shorter that your actual truck’s bed.
It should be noted that there are softer tops, which can be retracted as needed. These allow for a great deal of versatility when hauling items, but can be easily sliced open with a sharp blade.
Not only do you want to consider the material the truck topper is made from, but you will want to consider the answers to the following questions, as well:
- Why are you purchasing a truck cover? As different types of truck covers have different capabilities, it is helpful to list how you intend to use your truck once the cover is installed.
- How much security do you need? Oftentimes, people use a pickup with a topper on it as extra storage space. If you are one who wants to be able to securely lock the topper then select a harder top that can be padlocked, if necessary.
- What type of whether conditions will be facing on a regular basis? In regions with moderate weather, soft covers are fine, but if you are in an area where there are frequent strong winds, heavy rain or snow or extremely high temperatures, you will find that the harder truck toppers are best.
- Do looks matter? If you are not too concerned about appearance, then a soft top such as a vinyl or canvas will be sufficient. However, if you want your truck to look modern and glassy, then fiberglass is the way to go.
Truck toppers are a great way to enhance your vehicles appearance, efficiency and speed. They offer a practical way to give your truck a style all your own while still providing a useful element. If you are interested in learning more about truck covers for your vehicle, contact Toppers and More in Minneapolis.
About the Author:
Many websites provide additional information on the topic of truck covers and toppers. One such site worth visiting is http://www.toppersandmore.net/
Janet Slagell independently authors articles for WebDrafter.com, Inc. for search engine marketing. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those solely of the author, and not of any other person, company or organization. No guarantee or warranty, express or implied, is made regarding the accuracy, fitness, or use of the content herein.
No comments yet.