The 25 Wackiest Motorcycles Of All Time
We have all seen motorcycles on the street that make us do a doubletake, but even I have to admit that if I saw a bike like some of these on the highway, my head would swivel right around like Linda Blair in the Exorcist and I might drive right off into the ditch! It seems that motorcycles uniquely lend themselves to rather extreme personalizations, so let's sit back and check out 25 of the weirdest, wackiest, strangest motorcycles of all time. Vote on them in the comments and by all means suggest your alternatives. I'd love to see them!
Oh, ok... I admit it. I'm a trekkie... live long and prosper and all that stuff. But this TOS Enterprise bike has me lusting to put on my pointy ears, Klingon forehead ridges and a freshly starched TNG Captain's uniform (later season) and go where no man or no one or whatever has gone before!
48 cylinders anyone? And you thought that a GoldWing, 1300 Voyager, CBX or even a Benelli Six was excessive! I would sure hate to have to fill this thing up at the local gas station at $4.50 a gallon!
Practice Safe Bike! I can come up with at least three or four dozen punchlines for this, but I think that since it's a family Hub, I'll leave it alone....
No, this wasn't a sportbike that hit a wall. This 19 year old from Toronto took a Segway, put two wheels and an abbreviated motorcycle chassis and body on it, and ended up with a remarkably rideable "something!"
Not to be outdone by the Canuck kid, why don't we just take one really humongous wheel and stick the engine and the rider right inside? It must have really been a great idea by the ninth or tenth beer.
Does this thing actually move? Is it rideable? Am I still sane?
"But mommy... Little Billy down the street just got a Big Wheel and I want one just like his... with a Hemi V8!"
Did somebody say "Big Wheel"? This is the perfect motocrosser for those times when you want to crush more sedans than Bigfoot.
Hey goofus! You wouldn't have to have such a weird look on your face if you weren't relying on those little training wheels!
All the readers who think that these maxi-motorcycles are built by guys who are making up for an insufficiency somewhere else shout "Teeny Weenie!" Oh... yeah... sorry... family Hub...
OK, this homemade tractor bike does qualify the rider for the Gold Medal in the Oversized Completely Stupid Motorcycle category!
Yes, someone actually did spend untold thousands of dollars to build a Kawasaki Ninja with triangular roller track things on it. If it worked it would certainly give you some serious traction! The tire contact patch on this contraption is likely 100 times larger than on your bike!
"Yeah... it's a slow day here at Chrysler Research & Development. We can't sell our SUVs and trucks because it seems no one in the head office figured that once gasoline went over $4 a gallon customers would run away screaming from big engines... so why don't we pull a V-10 out of a Viper and stick it in a motorcycle! Nobody wants to buy cars or trucks with V-10s, so maybe they'll buy the engine in a bike!"
Chrysler R&D? Who needs them! I'll just take a wimpy little Boss Hoss, throw out that puny V8 and stick a Viper V-10 in it! Let's see what the chicks down at the high school think of this ride!
This lady once rode a Honda 70 scooter to work and then her friends told her that bigger was better and she just didn't know when to stop!
$24,349.00 for a new loaded Gold Wing? What do you think I'm made of money? Heck no, dude. I've got this old rusty Fargo pickup truck in the backyard, some old tractor parts and a welding torch and I'll show you how I can slap together a tourer that will out Wing the Gold Wing and cost me... maybe... 20 bucks!
Watta is wronga with a you, are you somea kinda peasant? Get your lousya littlea MV Agusta outta my facea! I have a Ferrari V-8 ina my motorcyclea!
Ferrari motorcycles? I eat Ferrari motorcycles for breakfast! Let's see them mess with a jet engine on a bike. I won't just leave them in my dust, my afterburner will charbroil them to a nice brown crisp!
Double your pleasure, double your fun? Whatever you can say as to what those two ladies are doing on a motorcycle owned by such a charming, gracious gentleman, you do have to admit that the second rear wheel could be an inspired touch of genius. Not only does it act as a wheelie bar, but it increases the bike's rubber contact patch by 50% without affecting cornering ability. Not a bad idea!
Do you think that this whole aerodynamics thing has been taken just a touch too far? This is about as close as you can get to a form-fitting motorcycle!
No, I'm not really sure as to how he steers this Morticiacycle either! The best I can figure is that those tiny handlebars have some sort of linkage that goes straight down to the base of that front end extension girder and that very tiny chromed rod acts on some sort of cam to turn the front wheel. I know one thing. I couldn't ride it for more than 100 feet without getting gravel rash!
Yes, radial engines were a great idea in World War II aircraft, however in a 21st century chopper, they are a bit... er... strange.
"Honey, don't worry. We can get rid of the gas-guzzling eight seater minivan and get a motorcycle that can still take us and our six kids everywhere we want to go!"
"And honey, we can get rid of that huge diesel pusher motor home too. To heck with enormous Winnebagos! We can enjoy all the comforts of home as we ride in the wind on the open road on our new motorhomecycle!"
"Goldurnit! I said I want an ATC that won't sink down into the mud! Do I have to go out and make one myself???"
Check out Hal's latest Hubs:
Also don't miss Hal's many other Motorcycling Hubs!
- An $85,000 Diesel Cruiser. But It Gets Great MPG!
- Could MPG Alone Get You On A 250 Cruiser?
- Nothing Exceeds Like Excess: Boss Hoss
- Same Bike, Different Name: Suzi Boulevard Vs. Kawi Vulcan
- The Biggest & Meanest: 2007 Kawasaki 2000 Vulcan
- The Wacky World Of Mini-Choppers
- Which Cruiser Engine Layout: A V-Twin Or Straight 3?
- 2007 Factory Choppers Buyer's Guide
- 2009 Yamaha V-Max VMX17: The wrong bike at the wrong time
- All the Fuel-Saving Devices that do nothing but rip you off
- American Vs. Metric Cruisers
- CanAm Spyder: 3-Wheel Cruiser Or Roadgoing Snowmobile?
- Finally! 2009 Official EPA Harley & Yamaha MPG Figures
- Hal's Master Motorcycle & Scooter MPG Reference Hub
- Harley Davidson's Outrageous Pricing Ripoffs
- Honda Fury vs. Yamaha Raider: Perfection Meets Grotesquerie
- How You Can Ride Captain America's Panhead
- Hypermile your motorcycle up to 179 MPG: No snake oil, no scams!
- Is it time to retire superbikes?
- Motorcycle Ergonomics: Getting That Kink Out
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: BMW
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Ducati
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Harley-Davidson Big Twins
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Harley-Davidson Sportsters & Below 1201 cc
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Honda Boxers & Sixes
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Honda Off Road
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Honda Street Singles
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Honda Transverse Fours
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Honda V-Fours & CBRs
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Honda V-Twins
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Honda Vertical Twins
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Kawasaki Ninjas
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Kawasaki Singles
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Kawasaki Vertical Twins, Fours & Sixes
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Kawasaki Vulcans
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Suzuki Singles & Vertical Twins
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Suzuki Sports & Fours
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Suzuki V-Twins
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Triumph
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Yamaha Sports & Fours
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Yamaha V-Twins
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Yamaha Vertical Singles, Twins & Triples
- Motorcycle nostalgia items I would gladly pay $$$ for!
- MPG Guide: The Fuel Economy Of 700 Top Selling Motorcycles
- MPG Guide: The Fuel Economy Of 250 Top Selling Scooters
- Pugang 125: The motorcycle built by starving slave laborers
- Revolutionary Harley Trike Has 2 Front Wheels That Lean
- Riding Your Bike For Maximum MPG
- R.I.P. XLH: How Could Harley Kill Off The Traditional Sportster?
- Sportster Iron 883: The Bike That Won't Save Harley
- Styling: Why Harleys Look Right & BMW Sedans Look Wrong
- Suzuki 350 runs on water. Pigs fly. Film at 11.
- Suzuki-ENV Hydrogen Fuel Cell Motorcycle?
- Suzuki's 2008 1300 And 1800 Deformed Emetogenic Mutants
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Sportsbikes
- The 25 Wackiest Motorcycles Of All Time
- The Current State Of Solar Powered Motorcycles
- The new 123 MPG Champ: Yamaha Zuma!
- There's no zen in the art of motorcycle maintenance
- Top 10 Japanese Street-Legal Bikes Of All Time
- Top 10 Ugliest Motorcycles Of All Time
- Top 10 Tips For New Motorcycle Riders
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Bizarrobikes
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Current Cruisers
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Golden Age Bikes
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Hypermotards
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Naked Bikes
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Older Cruisers
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Supermotards
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Tourers
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Vintage Bikes
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles In History - The Ultimate List!
- Top 50 Best MPG Motorcycles
- Tri Glide Trike Leads Harley Davidson's 2009 Lineup
- Why Motorcycle Manufacturers Missed Out On MPG Mania
- Why the VMX17, Hayabusa And Similar Bikes Should Be Off The Streets
More by this Author
Here are the ten worst rubbish, detritus, mutant, flotsam and jetsam throwaway scrap metal piles of offensive sewage junk Naked Bikes that will have you pleading for them to put some clothes ON!
This is the definitive guide to the fuel economy of the 250 top-selling motor scooters from 50cc to 800cc expressed in mpg and km/l.
A reliable, fun, street legal brand new 100cc Honda that gets 100 mpg and costs under $1,000? If Honda was smart enough to bring it from India to North America, they'd sell by the thousands!