The Chevrolet Corvair: Which Models Are the Most Collectible?
The Chevrolet Corvair remains one of America's best car's to collect with over 100,000 still on the road in various states of condition. Chevrolet made over 1.5 million of them from 1960-69. The Corvair was America's answer to the German VW and, in fact, was modeled after the Porsche engine and German engineers were hired to help with its production in 1959. The car did have its teething issues from 1960-64, all repaired for the totally restyled sporty look from 1965-69. Yet, its values and design were revolutionary for an American car and even today looks "current".
Getting into classic cars is easy for the Corvair, just visit Ebay or Craigslist and enter Corvair in the search engine. The trick is finding one that, for the money spent, is good value and one that has high resell. A good place to start is the production numbers. For the early models, from 1960-64, the following are the rarest:
1. 1964 Corvair Spyder Convertible- only 4761 were made.
2. 1964 Corvair Spyder Coupe (Hardtop) - only 6480 were made.
3. 1962 Corvair Monza with a 150 hp or Turbocharged motor - 9400 made.
4. 1960 Corvair Monza - 11,900 were made. 1963 Corvair 700 Coupe- 12,700 made.
5. 1962 Corvair Monza Convertible - 16,500 were made.
6. 1963 Corvair Monza with 150 hp or Turbocharged motor - 19,000.
The Corvair 500 and 700 series were the cheapest to buy and have production values of less than 20,000 from 60-64. The Monza Coupe was highest, as almost 500,000 were produced between 60-64. Most had engines with 95-110 hp. The early years also produced Corvair station wagons, trucks, and vans, so those might be worth collecting also.
1. 1969 Corvair Monza Convertible - 521 made.
2. 1968 Monza Convertible - 1400 made
3. 1969 500 or Monza Coupe- 2700 made.
4. 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible - 3100 made.
5. 1967 Corvair Coupe, 1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 1966 Corvair Corsa Coupe - 9700\8300\ 7300 made.
6. 1966 Corvair Monza Convertible - 10,000 made.
The Corsa was the top of the line Corvair and always had a 140hp or 180 hp engine. It was only made in 65 and 66. Any Corsa with a 180hp motor is hard to find as only 9100 were made for the combined years. The Monza Coupe was the most produce in 65-66, with 112,000 made. It dramatically dropped to 9700 in 1967 and 6800 in 1968. Only 40,000 convertibles were made from 65-69.
All of the late model Corvairs, whether a 500, Sedan (4-door) or Monzas had a 110 hp motor unless the buyer wanted a 140 hp.
Of course, what you buy the car for should be considered, its condition, amount of work it needs and their costs, need to be considered. But, from a production viewpoint, the above should be looked for.
Comments 25 comments
- The Corvair Myth: 1965-66 Corsa
1966 Corvair Convertible Corsa Inside Dash 140 hp motor If you are new to the Chevrolet Corvair as a collectible classic car there is little doubt you wonder what are the differences between the Monza and...
- Jay Leno and his 1961 Corvair Truck
a 1967 Corvair Monza Jay Leno's 61 Corvair Truck On the day before Jay Leno's last broadcast of the Tonight Show, he drove his new 1961 Corvair Rampside truck to the studio, fully restored and like new. ...
- How to Buy a Corvair (or any car) on Ebay or Craigsl...
There some universal items one should check into or look at if (if possible) when buying a Corvair. Many of the issues can be asked of any car-it is not rocket science. If you cannot personally inspect the...
- The Rear Engine, Air Cooled 1965-69 Chevrolet Corvai...
Odds are if you are under 40 yrs, you have never even heard of a Chevy Corvair as they stopped making them in 1969. Some 20-30 somethings think they are a Japanese car. If you were a kid in the mid to late...
- Inside the Chevrolet Corvair Carburetor
Sooner or later, the Corvair owner will need to clean or maintain the 2 or 4 carbs on their engine. Even these carbs are basic when compared to carbs 15-20 years later, they still require tuning or cleaning. ...
More by this Author
Odds are if you are under 40 yrs, you have never even heard of a Chevy Corvair as they stopped making them in 1969. Some 20-30 somethings think they are a Japanese car. If you were a kid in the mid to late 60's, you...
Typical 2 carb 110 hp Corvair engine in aircraft engine without shroud cover The weather gap under the oil cooler The Chevrolet Corvair is America's most unique car built from 1960-69. Then and now, the Corvair had...
Join this long list of consumer problems and complaints about this car. Most o the problems are on models pre-2009. Many sad stories.