The Evolution of Amphibious Cars (Complete With Pictures)
I don't know why some of my hubs want to tell about cars. Maybe I have a dream to buy a new car. That's make me interested to write about cars. I love the model, feature and the color beside the function as a transportation tool. This idea always comes up on my mind if I have a car. I can do anything with my own car, like modification or change the color. I know, I haven't married, so a motorcycle just enough for me. I'll think it back when I have a family, a complete family with wife and kids. I read good news yesterday from my local newspaper. There was a little story about amphibious car. Although it only simple story without pictures. But it also interesting for me to develop my idea and search more about amphibious car in the internet. But I found something amazing about amphibious car. I think this could become great hub.
Amphibious car was created by the people to give us alternative for transportation. This was a great idea for someone who created this transportation first. For me personally this is like a great invention. When we have a dream to have unique car, this car is the best choice for us. I know we probably don't have this car, but I hope we can satisfy just read all this information inside this hub.
When we talk Amphibious car, there are some benefit if we have this car,like:
- We can use this car in the land, even on the water. This is an
alternative solution when we want to pass the river. Good alternative
if we want crossing the sea that connects an island to other island. With requirement there are no big waves, right.
- We do not have to worry if the flood comes. Usually the engine of the car if submerged in water will die and we can’t use a car to hit the water during floods. But we don't have to worry anymore with amphibious car.
- Amphibious car also used for military vehicle. For the difficult area between land and water, it makes easy for military operation.
I have some information about the evolution of amphibious car. It means the progress from year to year when people had the idea to make an amphibious car. Actually to the front a technology increasingly fast and it more sophisticated. There are some changes in shape but also features that are in the car, such as engines and speed. I'll explain it more. Please continue reading......
From Generation to Generation
- I heard that the first person who created amphibious car is Oliver Evans in 1800s. He was from America. It called Orukter Amphibolus. The first amphibious car which using steam engine. Orukter Amphibolus have ran from Philadelphia around one mile until sailing in Delaware river.
- The second amphibious car was created by William Mazzei in the middle of 1910s. Using continental machine, it called hydromotor. With top speed until 60 Mph on the land and 25 Mph on the water. Great innovation at that time.
- The third generation of amphibious car was Hydorcar. This car was created by George Monnot. Good combination between boat, car and truck. It happened at the beginning of the first world’s war. But during the war it was stopped because it used for military vehicle.
Unfortunately for all these three amphibious cars I did not get the image documentation. But don't worry, I post other amphibious cars below complete with pictures. So, don't stop to read.....
Schwimmwagen by Porsche
I think we are familiar with Porsche. But we probably never thought that Porsche have created amphibious car. The man behind this creation is Ferdinand Porsche. This man was succeeded to create the first mass-produced amphibious vehicle. This car was produced outside America. The first name of this vehicle is Kubelwagen but it changed become Schwimmwagen. Why it was changed because of the mobility and the hard condition during the war, so it can be used on the water. Although Schwimmwagen was produced in large-scale, but finally it used for military. Erwin Komenda as the designer use Volkswagen four-wheel drive for the machine. This car as the category of Four Wheel Drive or 4WD, equipped with ZF differential lock on both front and rear axles. He's so genius.
This car was first presented at the Geneva Salon Show in 1959. Who is the man behind the successful of this car? The man who has idea to create this car is Hans Trippel after the end of the Second World War After got involved with the Germany war, Trippel work in Bugatti company at French and began to build amphibious vehicles for the Wehrmacht. From his experience in building amphibious car, he got an idea to make amphibious car which can be sold for civilians, particularly in the United States. And then he made the prototype at the same years with Geneva Salon Show. But Amphicar start to produced at 1961, with a big hope it can be sold out around 20.000 unit every year.
- Convertible two-door four-seat, equipped with a folding fabric on top.
- The speed can reach 7 knots above water and 70 mph (110 km /h) on land.
- For engine it was used 1.2l four-cylinder overhead-camshaft, the engine was placed in the rear. And two nylon propellers also placed under the car.
- Power output is 43 hp at 4750 rpm.
- Price around $ 2.800 - $ 3.300, it was very expensive at that time.
The fact is Amphicar as the only car which can cross the English Channel. This was good history of amphibious car.
The idea to create amphibious car was never stop. From experiment to another experiment have done to make amazing amphibious car. There is a company who create another great amphibious car after doing seven years for research. Gibbs Technologies, as company in Michigan which develop High Speed Amphibian (HSA). This is great technology which applied in amphibious car. From this company the Aquada was born. Aquada uses jet system which generates about one ton of thrust. Aquada was launched for the first time at England, 2003.
- Speed: 160 km/h on the land and 50 km/hour on the water.
- Engine: 175 Hp, 24 Valve, V6 with EEC compliant immobiliser.
- Gearbox: 5 speed Auto and Reverse
- Brakes: All Round Power Assisted Discs. Front Ventilated
- Fuel: 95 Ron Unleaded
- Wheels: Front 16 x 6.5 J Alloy 6 Spoke; Rear 16 x 6.5 J Alloy 6 Spoke
- Steering: Power Assisted on Road and Water
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 15 Gallons / 67 Litres.
- Weight: 1.350 kg
- The new Aquada sold with the price around $225.000
I heard that Gibbs Technologies will donate Aquada to the city of Jakarta which is often flooded. It said by Allan Gibbs, CEO Gibbs Technologies after saw the flood in Jakarta. I hope this is immediately realized...amen.
Python, the newest and the fastest of amphibious car
Phyton is the new generation of the amphibious car. The physical appearance of Phyton likes sport car. This car was produced by California WaterCar as an autos company. With the top speed until 96 km/hour, it is faster than speedboat. Who is the designer of this car? The man who made Phyton is Dave March. How do we drive this car on the water? We have to neutralize the gears, turn on the steering of water jet and entered the wheel. If we want to continue the trip on the land, we must do the opposite. Lower the wheel and activated the land steering. It looks easy, right!
On the land Phyton using Chevrolet Corvette V8 engine, this engine was able to produce energy of 640 hp (horsepower). While on the water using Dominator Jet engine, this engine was able to produce energy of 500 hp (horsepower). Python is also equipped with jet engines that make it capable of speeding over the waves. Phyton also equipped with five passenger seats.
- Weight: 3800 Lbs, Height: 66”, Length: 20’ 6”, Width: 82”
- Water Speed: 60 Mph
- Land Speed: 125+ Mph
- Engine: 1 Rear engine Gm LS1 - LS9
- Transmission: 4 Speed Standard
- Octane Used: 91 Octane Pump gas
- Wheel: Size: 20” X 255
- Brakes: Four Wheel Disk Power Brakes
- Price: £125.000
Other amphibious car by lamborghini
You can also read:
More by this Author
The first time I never thought that Russia has many beautiful tourism places to visit. Russia is a country which stretches along Eastern Europe and northern Asia.
From the 60 countries which have winter season. Only several countries have beautiful scenery when the snow comes.
Princess is a mother of the country. There are many princess in the world. They like in fairy tale.