The new 123 MPG Champ: Yamaha Zuma!
Are you finally fed up with pumping $250 into your SUV's gas tank to barely be able to get to work and back for a week? Well, it may be high time that you jettison two of your four wheels and check out what we motorcyclists have known since Herr Gottlieb Daimler built his first motorized two-wheeler in 1885: Motorcycles save fuel. Lots of it.
Of course, you are going to have to make some compromises. Like getting really cold and wet in inclement weather and informing your soccer team that they have to find their own way to the game. However, if you can believe Yamaha's newly released mileage claims (based on a very artificial US EPA dyno test), their sporty Zuma is a fantastic combination of fun and practicality as well as being the current mileage champ at 123 MPG!!!
The Zuma's fuel tank holds 1.5 gallons, so you can go about 185 miles on about six bucks. Just think of it: 123 MPG would allow you to drive the entire length of the New York State Thruway for about $17. Or if you were really inclined for a nice long trip, how about Jacksonville, Florida to Los Angeles for $80?
The Zuma's electronic fuel gauge lets you keep an eye on your gas level, but don't be surprised if you don't see it move much. When you can go 50 miles on about a quarter tank, and when that quarter tank costs you about a buck and a half, you'll probably be too busy smiling all the way to the bank.
If you're a neophyte rider you could ask if motorcycles aren't difficult to ride. The Zuma makes it easy with a fully automatic transmission and pushbutton electric starting. No clutch, no gears, no choke, no kickstarter required (although it does come with a kickstarter should you drain the battery dry... it sure beats jumper cables). The Zuma features a surprisingly large underseat storage compartment which will easily hold a couple of bags of groceries, and has a a plush, long and wide dual seat to keep the butts of rider and passenger as happy as their gasoline budgets.
The Zuma looks like a Jeep among the masses of wimpy bicycle-wheeled scooters. Its all lumps and bumps and blacked out panels and looks like you could ride it to work on Friday and motocross it on Saturday thanks to its semi knobby fat, low-profile 120/90-10 front and 130/90-10 rear tires. Unfortunately this image of power is tempered by the fact that the Zuma doesn't use any hybrid, electric, or other fancy technology to achieve its 123 MPG figures. It has a tiny 49cc reed-valve-inducted, Autolube-injected, two-stroke engine fed through a 14mm Teikei carburetor. It's not exactly the motorcycle you'd choose to challenge Valentino Rossi on the track. In fact, with a full-sized adult rider it can get out of its own way, but barely.
Hey, let's face it... it's a fair weather commuter, not exactly anyone's first choice to replace an Escalade. However, if you enter the world of Zumaing with the proper expectations, you will find an exceptionally reliable, convenient, and fun fuel saver.
Check out Hal's latest Hubs:
Also don't miss Hal's many other Motorcycling Hubs!
- An $85,000 Diesel Cruiser. But It Gets Great MPG!
- Could MPG Alone Get You On A 250 Cruiser?
- Nothing Exceeds Like Excess: Boss Hoss
- Same Bike, Different Name: Suzi Boulevard Vs. Kawi Vulcan
- The Biggest & Meanest: 2007 Kawasaki 2000 Vulcan
- The Wacky World Of Mini-Choppers
- Which Cruiser Engine Layout: A V-Twin Or Straight 3?
- 2007 Factory Choppers Buyer's Guide
- 2009 Yamaha V-Max VMX17: The wrong bike at the wrong time
- All the Fuel-Saving Devices that do nothing but rip you off
- American Vs. Metric Cruisers
- CanAm Spyder: 3-Wheel Cruiser Or Roadgoing Snowmobile?
- Finally! 2009 Official EPA Harley & Yamaha MPG Figures
- Hal's Master Motorcycle & Scooter MPG Reference Hub
- Harley Davidson's Outrageous Pricing Ripoffs
- Honda Fury vs. Yamaha Raider: Perfection Meets Grotesquerie
- How You Can Ride Captain America's Panhead
- Hypermile your motorcycle up to 179 MPG: No snake oil, no scams!
- Is it time to retire superbikes?
- Motorcycle Ergonomics: Getting That Kink Out
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: BMW
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Ducati
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Harley-Davidson Big Twins
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Harley-Davidson Sportsters & Below 1201 cc
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Honda Boxers & Sixes
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Honda Off Road
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Honda Street Singles
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Honda Transverse Fours
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Honda V-Fours & CBRs
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Honda V-Twins
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Honda Vertical Twins
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Kawasaki Ninjas
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Kawasaki Singles
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Kawasaki Vertical Twins, Fours & Sixes
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Kawasaki Vulcans
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Suzuki Singles & Vertical Twins
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Suzuki Sports & Fours
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Suzuki V-Twins
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Triumph
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Yamaha Sports & Fours
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Yamaha V-Twins
- Motorcycle MPG Guide: Yamaha Vertical Singles, Twins & Triples
- Motorcycle nostalgia items I would gladly pay $$$ for!
- MPG Guide: The Fuel Economy Of 700 Top Selling Motorcycles
- MPG Guide: The Fuel Economy Of 250 Top Selling Scooters
- Pugang 125: The motorcycle built by starving slave laborers
- Revolutionary Harley Trike Has 2 Front Wheels That Lean
- Riding Your Bike For Maximum MPG
- R.I.P. XLH: How Could Harley Kill Off The Traditional Sportster?
- Sportster Iron 883: The Bike That Won't Save Harley
- Styling: Why Harleys Look Right & BMW Sedans Look Wrong
- Suzuki 350 runs on water. Pigs fly. Film at 11.
- Suzuki-ENV Hydrogen Fuel Cell Motorcycle?
- Suzuki's 2008 1300 And 1800 Deformed Emetogenic Mutants
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Sportsbikes
- The 25 Wackiest Motorcycles Of All Time
- The Current State Of Solar Powered Motorcycles
- The new 123 MPG Champ: Yamaha Zuma!
- There's no zen in the art of motorcycle maintenance
- Top 10 Japanese Street-Legal Bikes Of All Time
- Top 10 Ugliest Motorcycles Of All Time
- Top 10 Tips For New Motorcycle Riders
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Bizarrobikes
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Current Cruisers
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Golden Age Bikes
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Hypermotards
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Naked Bikes
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Older Cruisers
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Supermotards
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Tourers
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles - 10 Vintage Bikes
- Top 100 Ugliest Motorcycles In History - The Ultimate List!
- Top 50 Best MPG Motorcycles
- Tri Glide Trike Leads Harley Davidson's 2009 Lineup
- Why Motorcycle Manufacturers Missed Out On MPG Mania
- Why the VMX17, Hayabusa And Similar Bikes Should Be Off The Streets
More by this Author
One represents styling which is very close to "chopper perfection" and the other is designed by some 13 year old buzzed on Ritalin and meth.
This is the definitive guide to the fuel economy of the 250 top-selling motor scooters from 50cc to 800cc expressed in mpg and km/l.
Genovese pasta sauce has been Naples' best kept secret for over 400 years. This incredible onion-beef sauce simmers all day long until it's poured over steaming hot pasta and covered in Parmigiano Reggiano. Irresistible!