The Top 10 Best Gas Mileage Cars of All Time
Money per mile
You are considering buying a new car and you want to get the one with the best gas mileage. Maybe it's because you're socially aware and want to be kind to the environment. Or maybe it's just because you want to save yourself some money in the long run by paying for a car now that will cost you less in gas on a day-to-day basis. Whatever the reason, gas mileage is the number one thing that you have on your list as you're looking for a new car.
Here are the top ten cars to think about when looking for the best gas mileage for your ride:
Cars with automatic transmission:
- Toyota Prius - The Prius gets just over fifty miles per gallon on the highway and does even better in the city.
- Honda Civic Hybrid - This hybrid car gets somewhere between forty five and fifty miles to the gallon depending on where you're driving it.
- Toyota Scion XA - This four speed automatic car gets over thirty miles to the gallon in the city and nearly forty miles to the highway gallon.
- Toyota Celica - The Toyota Celica is a popular choice because it's a cute car that still gets almost thirty miles to the gallon in the city and over thirty five miles per gallon for highway driving.
Cars with manual transmission:
- Honda Insight - This car gets nearly seventy miles to the gallon on the highway and about sixty miles to the gallon in the city making it the all-time best gas mileage car on this list.
- Volkswagen - This brand isn't limited to any one style. The new diesel versions of the Volkswagen Golf, the Volkswagen Jetta and the Volkswagen Beetle all get approximately forty miles to the gallon.
- Honda Civic Standard - Although not as good on the gas mileage as its hybrid counterpart, the standard Honda Civic gets over thirty five miles per gallon in the city and almost ten miles per gallon more than that on the highway.
- Toyota Echo - The Echo is another cute car, like the Celica, which gets thirty five miles per city gallon and 43 miles per highway gallon.
- Toyota Corolla - At forty miles per highway gallon, the Corolla is a sturdy car which holds its own in terms of good gas mileage.
- Toyota Scion XB - This car doesn't quite hold up to the standard set by its automatic counterpart but it's not exactly bad on the gas mileage, getting just over thirty milers per gallon in the city and about thirty five miles per highway gallon.
As you can see, the top ten cars that you're looking at when you're looking at getting the best gas mileage are either Hondas or Toyotas (with the exception of the Volkswagen). If you aren't a Honda or Toyota kind of driver, there are certainly other brands which get good gas mileage. Look into the ones that most interest you with an eye towards both highway and city gas mileage.
(Note: This information was obtained via research; the original article with these statistics was a CNN Money article available at http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/gasmileage/.)
More by this Author
There once was a time when I really loved owning and driving a car. I got my first car before I even turned 16. I held jobs that required me to drive hundreds of miles each week. I commuted across town to work...
As many of the people who regularly read my articles already know, I am a resident of San Francisco. This isn’t a very car-friendly city and I haven’t bothered to have a car since I moved here. Being able to...
How can you tell if your mushrooms are turning bad? Find out the most common signs to look for before throwing them out.