Tips on lowering your Car Insurance
Car Insurance can take a lot of money from you!
Things just seem to be getting more and more expensive at the moment and car insurance is no exception. In a world where unemployment is higher than ever, people are working for free and pennies saved really are pennies earned, it makes sense to be sure that you are getting the best car insurance deal out there.
There are several steps that you need to take in order to lower your car insurance rates. Insurance firms decide how much they are going to make you pay by what car you buy. So for example, if you buy a Ferrari then your insurance will go through the roof. You need to make sure that the car you buy falls into the category of "small cars" rather than large cars. On top of this, they try to determine how much it will cost them to get your car fixed if something goes wrong. Within that, there are two sub-factors, reliability of the car you buy (so a second hand car is less reliable) and overall cost of the car in the first place.
Baring that in mind, there are several other points which will help you lower your car insurance rates.
- Is your car energy efficient? If it is then you are already looking at a decreased rate. Hybrid cars are having a massive effect on what insurance companies are costing. There are two reasons for this: one, because 'green' is the new black and everyone wants to be seen as helping the environment, and two, because they are safer in that they are slow and use less hazardous fuel.
- I really cannot stress the fact that the smaller the car, the cheaper the insurance. Two doors good, four doors bad. (Forgive me Animal Farm...) The smaller the engine the better as well. If possible, keep the miles you travel to a minimum, not only will the car last longer but it keeps the insurance people happy as well.
- How safe is your car? If it has an alarm then the insurance companies are very happy. Also, when you buy your car, look up cars which are considered to be very safe cars as insurance companies put more trust in them.
- What is your car history like? A bad record means unavoidable high insurance. If you have previously made a claim then there is very little you can do to really squeeze the pennies out. Don't claim on a dent or a scratch unless you have to, it will only increase your future payments and end up costing you.
- Finally, drive safely, keep a good credit rating and stay out of trouble with the police.
These things combine can really help to make car insurance very very cheap. Remember though, even if you want to get a slightly nicer car, it is still possible to keep your rates low by adhering to the other points. Perhaps you will even save enough money on your car insurance to be able to afford a nicer car (although probably not these days!).
If you have any questions, or need advice on specific cars, please feel free to consult me and I will see what I can do to help! Good luck and drive safely!
© Chuckbl - Hubpages - Moon Project
More by this Author
Ten excuses for how to get out of going to work. A few tips on missing work and not getting into trouble for it! Looking for an excuse to skip work, then try these!
Can we consider the ancient Persian King Xerxes the Great as a truly 'great' ruler? Was Xerxes' reign ultimately a failure and has history painted him in an overly heroic light? A discussion that looks into the real...