Toyo Proxes Tires in The Fast & The Furious Movies
In The Fast & The Furious movies, drifting was featured
heavily as part of street racing. According to Wikipedia, drifting is a
driving technique "where the driver intentionally oversteers, causing
loss of traction in the rear wheels through turns, while maintaining
vehicle control and a high exit speed. A car is said to be drifting when
the rear slip angle is greater than the front slip angle prior to the
corner apex, and the front wheels are pointing in the opposite direction
to the turn (e.g. car is turning left, wheels are pointed right or vice
versa), and the driver is controlling these factors."
The tagline described drifting best, "If You Ain't Outta Control. You Ain't In Control." I think that was said by Twinkie (played by Bow Wow).
I've never drifted, so I can't exactly describe the sensation. But from
a fan's view, its ballet dancing. There's a certain elegance to the
roaring thunder and mayhem of turbocharged rice rockets.
But hellish on the tires.
Video Clip: Drifting in a Japanese mountain road
To drift well takes practice. That means
doing it over and over again till you get it right. But face the fact,
it can get expensive. Here is a thread on drift tires from
The poster is from Japan where tires are expensive. But then again, so are everything else as I recall the six weeks I spent there for a summer study abroad program. The poster's strategy and tire tips for drifting makes sense. He buys high grip tires for the front to stay in control, while he "scavenges" anything he could find for the rear. So used tires, cheap tires, barely useable tires, anything for the rear wheels since they'll be spinning against the road.
In The Fast & The Furious movies, Toyo Proxes tires were used
in various cars. These are high-grip, high-end, high-performance
tires. If bought new, these tires are expensive. Of course, for the
movie, there's a movie budget to buy Toyo tires. And I'm sure a lot
were used during the shooting.
Here are some of the cars from the movie series that use Toyo Proxes tires. The list is not complete, but I'll do my best to add more in the future:
- Toyo Proxes - 1999 Nissan Skyline GT-R R34 driven by O'Conner
- Toyo Proxes T1R 235/35/ZR19 (front), 255/30/ZR19 (rear), 2001 Nissan Silvia S-15 driven by Sean Boswell
- Toyo Proxes 245/35/ZR19 (front), 255/30/ZR19 (rear), 2006 Mazda RX-8 driven by Neela
- Toyo Proxes T1R 255/35/ZR19 (front), 255/35/NR19 (rear), 2006 Mitsubishi Evo IX driven by Sean Boswell
- Toyo Proxes 225/45/ZR17 (front), 235/40/ZR17 (rear), 1993 Nissan Silvia S-13
- Toyo Proxes 245/40/ZR18 (front), 275/35/ZR18 (rear), 2003 Nissan 350Z driven by Tea Hair
- Toyo Proxes 245/35/ZR19 (front), 75/35/ZR19 (rear), 1967 Ford Mustang driven by Sean Boswell
source: The Fast and The Furious: The
Official Car Guide
More by this Author
A former Elite agency model, Carla Gugino has been wowing many movie goers with her work in Sin City and Entourage. She's also one of the star of Spy Kids, the popular movie series directed by Robert Rodriguez. She...
No comments yet.