jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Car Battery: What NOT to do

1. ptosis profile image81
    ptosisposted 4 years ago

I feel to stupid to own a car. Really.

Tried to save $55 towing bill and ended up costing $80 for a new battery and possible a much more expensive repair.

Never towed a car before. Did Yesterday with a person who owns a truck & a tow chain. The most nerve-wracking thing to be towed. Do not recommend. Oh and I thought I was being so careful.

1. Mighty Mom profile image92
      Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

We don't always learn lessons the easy way, do we?
      I've been penny wise and pound foolish on many occasions.
      Try not to make the same mistake more than twice, at least!

Assuming you decide to keep your car...

I heartily recommend membership in AAA. For the cost of 1 tow you can get roadside assistance with any/all car troubles for a whole year. I've had them jump my dead battery many times. A friend recently locked her keys in her car. AAA was there in 15 mins. And they tow, too.
      Oh yes, there's also AAA discounts on tons o' stuff like hotels.

1. kathleenkat profile image90
        kathleenkatposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Seconded. My car died in the middle of the road, 20 miles from my repair shop of choice. They towed it all the way there. They have also given me a jump a few times. (I don't remember if it's 100 miles, or 200 miles, but somewhere within that radius they will tow).

I also don't think the bad towing had anything to do with the battery; it was probably already dead, or expired/broken. I assume the reason your car didn't start. And if $80 is all you need to pay, I highly recommend keeping the car (way cheaper than buying a new one).

2. ptosis profile image81
    ptosisposted 4 years ago

Thank you all. I just felt that I so out of touch with newer cars. I remember being more independent during my younger days. I had a Toyota Celica 1973, 1976 and a 1982. All bought used of course. I could change my own spark plugs, adjust the clutch - which was very simple and change the oil.

Now, I'm 51 and I don't have enough umph to even unplug a connector to check the harness. I can't see without three different pairs of glasses on my forehead.

When the car died at the store, I did check the battery at 12.46V but not the amperage. It's a long story and I'm going to write a hub about it when it's all over.

Is there anyplace on the net where I can get customer ratings on repair shops?? BBB is useless - the number of complaints has nothing to do with the ratings that businesses pay for. Please let me know of any online place that rates local shops. Thanks.