jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

Engine Care

1. writinglover profile image83
    writingloverposted 3 years ago

I have a 2002 Honda Civic and after losing my keys (both master and valet), my car sat for a month in the garage. I had to jump start it at least three times (possibly from the lack of a good battery charge). What are some signs that I need a new battery?

1. bBerean profile image59
      bBereanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It may not be the batteries fault entirely, so you will want to have it tested.  Many auto supply stores and shops that replace batteries will do a test at no charge.  If your alternator / regulator was not keeping the battery at a full charge, or if there is a parasitic draw in your electrical system while the car is sitting, your battery may not be the culprit, just the symptom.

2. kenneth avery profile image81
      kenneth averyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hi, writinglover,
      In cold weather, sluggish starts is a good sign that you need a new battery. Have a qualified automotive technician look at the battery often is a sure-fire way to never get caught "out in the cold." And that white junk on your battery and cable ends, is corrosion. Deadly to a battery as kryptonite is to Superman. smile

3. Cantuhearmescream profile image85
      Cantuhearmescreamposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Okay, so I talked to my mechanic friend and told him what you said... he said, "It's the battery... it's hard to explain... but it's the battery". It's the best I can do, but he's built and fixed cars for as long as I've known him and I, personally, trust his mechanic knowledge. Just wanted to let ya know!

2. writinglover profile image83
    writingloverposted 3 years ago

Thank you all for your answers! I'm sorry I didn't get to you guys in a timely fashion. I was shadowing for a CNA position over at the care center that I am currently working for. Let me tell you now, I'm really hoping for this position. I love taking care of people! Again, thanks! big_smile

1. bBerean profile image59
      bBereanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Good luck!

writingloverposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks bBerean! big_smile

3. atechwiz profile image81
    atechwizposted 3 years ago

My folks had a Honda Odyssey that they would let set in the garage for extended periods and the dealership told them that with all the electronics in the vehicle it would drain the battery over that time period.  Of course they recommended starting it up and running it more frequently.

writingloverposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks! My parents had recommended the same thing once I recovered my lost car keys. Gave it a good run around town and the batter has since been turning over quite nicely.

1. atechwiz profile image81
        atechwizposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Glad to hear that.  Starting a vehicle that is stored occassionally also keeps other engine related components from having problems later on.  I had parked one of my vehicles for quite some time and when I went to start it up some of the seals had dried up and it started leaking fluids.  That is never good.

working