jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Transit Vans - Experiences, Advice, Info wanted.

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 7 years ago

I'm looking for a larger vehicle for our Taiko drumming group, and am considering a 1999 Ford Transit Bus.
    2.5 litre turbo diesel Auto. It has 128,000 km on the clock, and looks and goes really well.
    I'm about to get a full mechanical check done on it.

HOWEVER: there's a lot of conflicting information about these vehicles, and I'm not sure whether we should buy it, even if the mechanical report gives it the thumbs up.

On one hand, there are Transit owners forums who rave on about how fantastic these vehicles are, and lots of independent surveys indicate that these vehicles are very reliable and about the best van you can get.

Other people complain bitterly about their transits, saying how unreliable they are, and how expensive they are to fix.

A diesel mechanic I spoke to said that they are a bottomless pit into which you throw money, and will send you broke if you buy one. A truck wrecker said that he doesn't even wreck them, because everything in them is already stuffed.

Now, I appreciate that there ARE bad examples of everything, and that one person who gets a bad one usually makes more noise that 100 people who are very satisfied.

So - I'm calling on the extended brainpower of hubpages members to share any experiences, personal knowledge, or industry secrets about Transit Vans  that may help me make a decision.

The van would do less than 10,000 km per hear on light duties, so I'm thinking that if the mechanical report comes back OK, then we'll probably buy it, and hope that nothing goes wrong with it.

Please let me know if this is a good strategy, or if I'm living in a fools paradise. :-)

(I've also looked at Mercedes Sprinters and Ivecos, and also found  similar good/bad info about them.
    I'd get a Toyota Commuter bus in a flash due to their reliability and positive owner comments, but it is too small for what we need.)

Eric G.

2. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

Not exactly up your alley, but my former wife had a Ford Ka for a while and was happy to be parted with it, despite of all its cuteness smile

It just spent more time in the shop than on the road. Well, I exaggerate, but you got the picture, right? smile

3. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 7 years ago

Thanks Misha,
    I don't think that we have Ford Ka's here in Australia. Aren't they a rebadged Brazilian car?

Your new photo looks tuff!

Lots of people changing their avatars lately.

cheers, Eric G.

4. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

LOL I guess I'm a tuff guy then tongue People were complaining I looked at them down from the previous pic, so I decided it's time for a change smile

I am not sure, but I never heard about Brazilian roots of Ka, unless you meant the old Beetle - and I bet the Beetle had better quality smile