Anyone experience uncomfortable Prius passenger seats?

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 7 years ago

We bought a 2013 Prius today and have 3 days to take it back.  On the way home from our Father's Day celebration at my daughter's, I wanted to take a nap on the passenger side while my husband drove. 

Up to this point, we have had a 2001 Toyota Corolla and then a 2007 Corolla.  We drive a lot, and often we take turns at the wheel while the other one rests on the passenger side. One thing I have ALWAYS said about my Corolla was that the seats were the part I loved the most.  I always thought I was in a recliner!

The environment has always been a consideration in buy a car for us.  I could adjust and accept that this will never be like my Corolla or we can take it back for a Camry non hybrid at about the same price.  I will be embarrassed, of course, because it took so long to decide on the Prius and now I'm saying the seat is uncomfortable (ugh!).

If you have any input and/or suggestions ,I would certainly appreciate hearing them in order to make a decision  My husband will go whatever way I chose. (Lucky me)

Cheers,

Billie

1. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Why be embarrassed?  That the seat isn't comfortable isn't your fault.  You couldn't know until you took a long enough drive in it.  It's a business arrangement and you/your husband worked hard for the money you are spending on a vehicle.

Billie Kelpinposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks RTalloni,  I braved it and we went up to the dealer this morning.  I got into the Camry and compared and there wasn't really that much difference that I could notice.  I think the issue is new vs old here. Good advice.  Business is business no matter how much the kid selling us the car reminded me of an old student of mine who was a great kid! LOL smile

2. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
      Shyron E Shenkoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Billie, if you are buying the Prius for comfort, the Camry has the comfort, the Camry we had (none Hybrid) gave us no more than 18 mpg.  If you are uncomfortable take it back.  As long as you are the one making the payments you should be the one making the choice.
      Blessings.

Shyron,  Thank your for your comment.  We did go back to the dealer and he had us try some seat covers which worked well.  When I compared the Camry and the Prius seats, it seemed like the difference in comfort wasn't enough to offset the value of a Prius, so we're keeping the Prius smile

3. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Billie, I'm on my second Prius and we have never experienced the seats as being uncomfortable. My husband is 6' tall and I'm 5' short, so there's a big difference in our heights. We bought our first one, a brand new 2010 Salsa Red Prius 2, and couldn't have been happier. We got 52 mpg, sometimes 53, on the highway and between 42 and 46 in town. We live in a very hilly city, so it depended on where we drove it. It was actually my car, and I wouldn't have parted with it except that I wanted bluetooth and I wanted the leather-type upholstery because my husband sometimes climbed in in dirty jeans and dropped food in the passenger seat.

So last year we traded it in on a new 2015 Prius Persona series with bluetooth and black leather seats. It was a red one, too, and I laughed that the neighbors wouldn't know that I had gotten a new car. I love it, too, and find the seats to be even more comfortable than the 2010. The only complaint I have is the fuel mileage. So far I get about 40 mpg in town and my top on the highway was 49 mpg.

I just don't have any complaint about the seats. You didn't say which model you bought, but as I said, the upgrade model seems to have more comfortable seats. You said it was a 2013. How many miles does it have on it. Seats can wear out. I would take it back to the dealer and inquire about it. If it isn't comfortable, don't keep it. But please, don't let that stop you from buying another Prius. Find a dealer that will let you keep the car over the weekend and drive it. Make a trip of 2 hours at least. If the seats are uncomfortable, it will show up in 2 hours. Good luck.

MzB, Thank you so much.  I responded to you yesterday here with a long comment, but I guess my internet was working too slowly at the time.  The dealer gave us some cushions and it seems a whole lot better.  (One note for someone else trying cushions - if you get the cushion in between the seat and the back, you won't be able to move the seat back up to an upright position).  My conclusion is that newer seats are not as comfortable as older seats across the board whether Prius, Camry, Toyota.  I can't say for sure because I haven't tested this theory out.  I think in order to get comfy seats in newer cars, you have to go to a more luxury model. Also, I tried my Ikea rocking chair cushion and it works!  So there are choices to make it comfy.  I do love, love, love the mp3 as you do, MzB.  So if you see a 2013 silver Prius with a sticker saying, "BloggingonWheels.com, it will be ME!  And hubpage forum writers here will know it was partyly their comments that helped us with our choice!

1. MizBejabbers profile image88

Billie, I'm happy you're working out a solution to keep your car. I keep a cushion in my car to sit on to elevate me a little higher because my car didn't come with the power seats that I wanted. I don't need to use it in familiar territory, but when I go out of town, I like to be able to sit a little higher. I may be using it this summer, though, because it eliminates the "hot seat" from the imitation leather if I'm not wearing long pants.

2. MizBejabbers profile image88

Billie, I wonder if HP is having some technical problems. Some of my comments have not been published recently, and I've had to rewrite comments. These didn't contain any verboten language or links. I had one that might have been a little offensive to some, but I'm surprised the hub that I comment on was published in the first place, and so was the author.

On my end, I think it's my internet connection.  I often post comments and when my internet is slow, they don't post.  I think that behind it all, however, is some kind of slow server on hubpages side because I don't notice this to the same extent on other websites.  Just guessin' here smile PS.  Of course there's that message from hubpages that says there is an error and they suggest copying the message you're sending.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)