jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)

Looking for a used SUV

1. 0
    Janettaposted 7 years ago

In the market for a used SUV and not sure what kind to get. I would prefer something with third row seating and decent gas mileage. Any suggestions??

2. 0
    sweetbitesposted 7 years ago

I have a Toyota RAV4 (my second one) and love it.  It doesn't have third row seating, but it's a great SUV.

3. 0

yeah, I like the look of them, but I don't think that would be big enough. We have to fit two carseats in. That's why I need the 3rd row.  Thanks for the input smile

4. Fishin' Cricket profile image85
    Fishin' Cricketposted 7 years ago

Questions that will help me answer your question:

Are you OK with Front wheel drive, or do you need the 4wd or AWD option?

What target fuel economy are you expecting (CITY/HWY)?

What amenities would you like? (sunroof, leather, power options, etc)

What are you using the SUV for? (i.e. Mainly highway vs. mainly city, hauling the kids to soccer games vs. just want the interior spaciousness for work/play, need luxury vs. just the basics please?)

are there any particular brands that you particularly like/dislike?

Do you have a target budget at all?

Get me the answers to these and I will happily start firing off with suggestions...

1. 0
      Janettaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Prefer front wheel drive, 4WD or AWD ok

Would love excellent mileage, but am prepared for theavg of 13/17 ish

amenities, well, sunroof would be great but not necessary. Power doors, locks windows, keyless entry

4 dr, 2002 or newer

have 2 young sons who still require car seats and large dog, oh yeah and a husband, that ll need hauled around. It would mainly be my car, so just used for running errands and any other running we might do as a family

hubby would prefer a Ford maybe an expedition

would like to keep payments around 250 or less, so maybe 12-15,000

Ok, I thnk that's it right??

1. Fishin' Cricket profile image85
        Fishin' Cricketposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Assuming that 3 rows of seats is truly a requirement (in which case an Equinox is simply out of the question) then I suggest:

Looks like you are seeking a 2002-2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Edition with decent miles, or a 2005 Gmc Yukon SLT 4x4  with around 70k miles, Possibly a Ford Explorer or Envoy XL version instead(I suggest the 5.3L v-8)..

I suggest you consider spending a touch more and considering a slightly used GMC Acadia (More like 4-450 a month) because it has much higher fuel economy (20-24HWY averages), FWD (AWD if it is a requirement) and would be under a 5 year or 100k powertrain warranty.

Hope I covered all the bases okay, any of these models piqué your interest?

5. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

Well, in SUV third row of seats and decent gas mileage do not go together well. You'll have to pick either one smile

PS Could it be that minivan would suit your needs better? Or is it so uncool you even don't consider it?

1. thranax profile image59
      thranaxposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I don't like minivans also. wink

Anyway, I think an ok SUV for you for good gas mileage would be an Equinox. I ended up renting one from enterprise and it was nice. I think it was the model from 2-3 years ago but it had great handling and great on gas. The whole tank cost $18 like to fill it and it went for highway something like 30 miles a gallon. To take it from Near Boston Ma down to Virgina it only needed gas once each way.

Just my suggestion,

1. 0

Thanks--I actually really like the Equinox's my brother's girlfriend has one and I really like it...don't want her to think I'm a copy cat tho smile

2. 0

Please NO minivans!!! I would like to at least appear to retain my coolness for a few more years. Then I'll go all out, wooden sidepanels and all LOL smile

6. 0

Yes, Fishin Cricket! Thank you for your help-- my husband really likes the Expedition and we've checked out a few online. You really know your stuff smile

7. Fishin' Cricket profile image85
    Fishin' Cricketposted 7 years ago

Thank you.  I know customers, thats really all there is to it..  Learning what customers want and doing whatever I can to help them get it.  If you need help with payment calculations let me know. 

Also I have a few hubs about how to work with a professional car salesperson..  I have to admit I haven't figured out the best way to write about finding that professional, honest, knowledgable, friendly salesperson, so good luck with that...  smile
    (more auto hubs should be forthcoming as I receive requests)

Good luck with your purchase, let me know if I can be of further assistance..

8. 0

I will and maybe will be requesting a hub sometime on the car market. Maybe the strategies that work for wheelin and dealin smile Actually, yes. I do think you should do that one, I may need to know the answer soon... smile

1. Fishin' Cricket profile image85
      Fishin' Cricketposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I have been working on that one for months actually..  But as you can probably guess, it isn't gonna be a short one..  LOL  (not that I practice these "tricks" necessarily, but just the "worst of the worst" kinda thing..

I have been writing alot of stuff lately and I have just found a place to put it all!  Hubpages!

9. 61
    untiedshoelaceposted 7 years ago

Toyota Highlanders and Honda Pilots are among the safest small SUVs with a third row.