jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

Flying cars, are they a good idea?

1. jackclee lm profile image74
    jackclee lmposted 5 months ago

I read recently, at least three companies have a commercially viable flying car in production.
    Some are 100-200 mph, 2 passengers, and require special license. The cost is upwards of $400k.
    Do you think this is a viable alternative to current automobiles, or just a toy for millionaires...?

jackclee lmposted 5 months ago in reply to this
    2. jackclee lm profile image74
    3. jackclee lm profile image74
    4. Credence2 profile image87
      Credence2posted 5 months ago in reply to this

The concept seems basically unsound to me, without the technology of levitation- gravity control, which does not appear to be on the horizon anytime soon, the danger of such a vehicle outweighs its advantages.

2. wilderness profile image97
    wildernessposted 5 months ago

Can't see a flying car being allowed to land/takeoff anywhere outside an airport or possibly rural, private land.  If they are to become truly popular, a replacement for the car, we would need many, many more small airports, and at considerable distance from one handling commercial air flights.

So no, I don't see them as a replacement for cars - the infrastructure is too expensive and would cost owners too much time.  Useless in a city or for travel of more than 200 or 300 miles.

Also, cost of $400k and license requirememrnt would be a deal breaker for most people...

1. wilderness profile image97
        wildernessposted 5 months ago in reply to this

Well, one of them DID say it would be the cost of a luxury car.  But yes, a flying license would be a deal breaker.  The first one said it wouldn't take near the time to learn to fly as a plane, though.  I'd hate to see pilots flying all over without a license!

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image87
    Kathryn L Hillposted 5 months ago

… its the way of the future.
    but a very distant one.

working