stick shift vs automatic

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 60 discussions (98 posts)
  1. hinckles koma profile image60
    hinckles komaposted 14 years ago

ok im probably one of a few girls that like stick shift better. I got a new car recentley and its automatic. To me it just takes the fun out of driving if it is a sports car that is.

who is for stick who is for auto?

<topic moved - PLEASE categorize forum topics correctly!>

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

stick shift for me!

1. profile image0
        B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It does not matter to me, I can drive anything you give me to drive..
        when I buy a car I go for what I want, transmission  by means of standard or automatic is one of the last items I consider

2. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I learned on a stick shift and will not part from it...If the stick shift only had lights so you can see what gear you are in smile

3. subaru555 profile image61
      subaru555posted 14 years agoin reply to this

A manual transmission definitely gives you more feeling for the car and allows you to perform more desired maneuvers in certain situations especially in the snow.

4. Carmen Borthwick profile image60
      Carmen Borthwickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

definitely stick

5. Pollyannalana profile image61
      Pollyannalanaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Automatic for sure! Cell phones, popping in dvds, screamimg at the kids, watching for school zones and the cops,why ask for something more!

6. Himitsu Shugisha profile image71
      Himitsu Shugishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Without question, you're not really driving unless you're rocking the stick shift.

7. Lady_E profile image63
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm for Auto.

If there's traffic on a hill - I can guarantee I won't roll back into you. smile

8. profile image0
      reeltaulkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

stick definitely!!!!!!!!

1. lamonsters profile image59
        lamonstersposted 14 years agoin reply to this

stick

2. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'll agree. I prefer stick over automatic. smile

9. Michael Willis profile image67
      Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

Definately Stick shift!

10. emievil profile image68
      emievilposted 14 years ago

Automatic for me! Me + Stick shift = clutch driver smile

1. profile image0

very good...I like this one...Hope you do not mind if I use it from time to time...

1. emievil profile image68
          emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey mtsi, I hope you mean use not 'sue' smile

1. profile image0

thanks...now corrected as "use"

smile you're welcome. course I don't mind, use it all you want smile.

11. steffer profile image60
      stefferposted 14 years ago

automatic for me.

Here in europe you'll learn to drive stick shift, when taking driving lessons. But all i can say is to me that 3th pedal and the stick is just standing in my way.

Gearing up, gearing down, constantly using that stupid clutch,
      nope nothing for me.

So, i decided to do my exam with an automatic and now have a drivers license "automatic" so i am not allowed to drive a stick shift.

to me its more fun to drive auto, just cruising around, without the hassle of that stick smile

12. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 14 years ago

Stick shift.  You are more in control of your vehicle. smile

13. europewalker profile image81
      europewalkerposted 14 years ago

Only automatic for me

14. pddm67 profile image59
      pddm67posted 14 years ago

I have never driven a stick shift but I would love to. Looks cooler and sexier for a woman to drive a stick shift (in my opinion). Lord knows I've tried to learn, multiple times much to my husband's dismay, but just can't get the hang of it. Finally accepted that there are two things in this world I am uncoordinated to do - drive a stick shift and aerobics (I never move in the same direction as the rest of the class). I am only coordinated for an automatic - so sad :-(

15. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 14 years ago

Stick shift of course. smile

16. lorlie6 profile image73
      lorlie6posted 14 years ago

Standard transmission gives you control of the car, automatic makes driving seem, well, too automated!  yikes)

17. Flightkeeper profile image67
      Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Guys love women who drive stick shift, guys love that manual dexterity!

1. manlypoetryman profile image82
        manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

1. lorlie6 profile image73
          lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

What on earth can I say to that?  yikes)

18. KCC Big Country profile image84
      KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

<~~female who only wants a stick shift!

1. manlypoetryman profile image82
        manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can't say anything...I'm a nice person! lol lol

19. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I learned how to drive in a Firebird with 4 on the floor. LOVED IT!  Now I just a regular old automatic.

20. Crackerssouth profile image61
      Crackerssouthposted 14 years ago

Stick shift for sure... got a place to hang your empty coffee cup... and who steals a standard ?

21. Mike Lickteig profile image77
      Mike Lickteigposted 14 years ago

I took driver's education in the mid-1970's, and even by then it was considered unnecessary to teach us how to drive a stick-shift.  And so I never learned.  I wouldn't mind knowing how, but I've come this far and hopefully can escape the need to drive a stick unless I want to learn how.  In the age of folks with a cigarette in one hand, a cup of coffee in another, and a cell phone next to their ear also, I'm for having my hands free as much as possible--in case I need to pull the wheel quickly to dodge someone who hadn't noticed me.

So, I guess it's an automatic for this old guy here....

22. profile image0
      B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

I dont have a preference, as long as the vehicle runs, I can drive it

23. wesleycox profile image70
      wesleycoxposted 14 years ago

My truck is an automatic and I like it like that cause I drive to work in city traffic. 

When I build my '70 Chevelle you can be assured that it will have a stick.  Nothing like powering through a corner by dropping into a lower gear to slow the engine down, plus you get faster acceleration out of the corner doing this.  You can't do that in an automatic.

1. aperturering profile image78
        apertureringposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean. I love my standard, but I always borrow my wife's car, which is an automatic, if I have to drive into the city. The last time I took my car to Manhattan I got stuck in bridge traffic and my left leg was in so much pain from the stop and go traffic.

24. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 14 years ago

Dropping into lower gear to slow the engine down?

Wesley, you might want to get your facts straight. wink

1. wesleycox profile image70
        wesleycoxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You know what I mean dang it. I could rationalize this by stating the transmission slows the engine down when you down shift if that makes you happy.

1. Misha profile image62
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wesley, sorry, but when you shift down, the transmission does exact the opposite to the engine - it revs it up LOL.

1. profile image0
            ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Misha, from an old veteran over the road truck driver, you would not make it unless you were in an automatic drive. Believe me when I say Wes is correct on downshifting to slow a vehicles progress forward. One can use an automatic the same way. I prefer an auotmatic in icy or snow covered roads, front wheel drive or 4x4 preferably. Both of my vehicles are automatics now.

1. Misha profile image62
              Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL Charlie, sorry I did not see this one before. If I understood him correctly, he was not talking about slowing vehicle down, he was talking about slowing down the engine. smile

25. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

I've been driving a stick since 1979.  Unfortunately the knees are saying next car has to be automatic sad

26. profile image0
      bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

I learned to drive stick in a vintage Ferrari.  There is just nothing better.  Driving with a stick is what makes driving fun.  Automatics put me to sleep.

27. sannyasinman profile image60
      sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

Definitely automatic.
      If you have TV with a remote control, why would you want to get up and change channels yourself?

28. aka-dj profile image64
      aka-djposted 14 years ago

With ever increasing traffic on the roads, auto is looking much more attractive.
      I'm seriously planning to buy one next time around.
      That will be car no 33, is it. No, 34. Oh heck, I'll have to count them again. cool

29. Song-Bird profile image69
      Song-Birdposted 14 years ago

I used to love driving a stick shift back when I drove a sporty car.  When I moved to a mini van than an SUV it just didn't have the same appeal.  I think I need to go back to the sports car!

30. profile image0
      Denno66posted 14 years ago

Standard. I used to have a '94 Mustang, loved it. I liked that I controlled the car. Automatics, not so much.

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi, me from three weeks ago lol

31. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I used to be "neither here or nor there", although I leaned toward thinking I liked having more control (on things like ice-covered hills) in a standard.  Somewhere along the way I ended up with two automatics in a row, and I discovered that there are "subtle" little things you can to increase your control in a automatic.  These days I don't really care, but I lean toward not having to be bothered shifting.  smile

32. hasen profile image59
      hasenposted 14 years ago

Definitely manual gears for me. You have more control over the car with manual.  In England if you can only drive automatic then its considered that you don't know how to drive.

33. h.a.borcich profile image61
      h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

Hi there,

I love stick shift....85 Mustang GT, 96 Mustang GT, and especially "Gretchen" my pick up/stompin truck!
        In my old cheapy rust buckets I prefered a stick, too. Something about being able to push and pop the clutch rather than find a guy.... smile Holly

34. K Partin profile image60
      K Partinposted 14 years ago

I loved my stick shift in my 70 vette! Now I have an automatic in my Dodge Journey. smile

35. NGRIA Bassett profile image59
      NGRIA Bassettposted 14 years ago

Automatic anyday. I went to the UK and could not drive the stick shift at all. I will continue to choose automatic.

1. Mike1000 profile image59
        Mike1000posted 14 years ago

For the last ~10 years the automatics I've had here in the UK have all had the option of either paddles on the steering wheel or the ability to manually shift the auto box by moving the gear shift to the  left and then flicking it up or down. This usually switches the gearbox to "sports" mode.

I've also seen semi-automatics which offer a manual shift but without the clutch pedal - VW apparently do a good one for the Golf.

Surely the best option is to be able to do both, depending whether you're in city traffic/congestion or on an open road. In terms of "sportiness", real racing cars typically use paddles, and unless a racing driver is shifting, the car will react  and shift faster. Surely this isn't just a European feature?

2. caravalhophoto profile image61
        caravalhophotoposted 14 years ago

Love the stick...wink

3. visitmaniac profile image59
        visitmaniacposted 14 years ago

Automatic for me, I like things simple why complicate them lol

1. flread45 profile image59
          flread45posted 14 years ago

Stick shift for coming down hills with a load.
          Or going uphill in the mountains offroad.

2. kmackey32 profile image64
          kmackey32posted 14 years ago

I drive a stick. lol

3. E. Nicolson profile image71
          E. Nicolsonposted 14 years ago

After over thirty years of driving I still prefer the standard stick -- more control.

4. profile image0
          mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

I learned on a stick and stayed with it...

5. AEvans profile image71
          AEvansposted 14 years ago

I own a car that has both without the hassle of a clutch so I would say both. smile But stick shifts alone are quite a lot of fun , my first car when I was a teenager was a stick ! smile

1. profile image0

That is a pretty good car...Can you toggle between automatic and stick shift while driving?

1. AEvans profile image71
              AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes in fact when I want someone to get moving I toggle and go it is the ultimate driving machine. smile ssshhhhhh the car is a secret and I bet you know what it is. smile

1. profile image0

Not a word from me smile

I new you were my buddy and you could keep a secret! big_smile

1. profile image0

what secret wink

big_smile I won't tell and you know what it is! smile

6. Rayalternately profile image61
          Rayalternatelyposted 14 years ago

Changing gear yourself is way more fun than driving an automatic until you're stuck on the motorway in a 2 hour jam, when you change your opinion pretty quick.

Manual (the English term for stick shift) is of course way more fun; until the roads fill up.

7. profile image53
          gasspassed67posted 14 years ago

Manual transmisions are fine,as long as you listen to the motor,it will tell you what to do,Automatics are great for the lazy side of us.

8. Bovine Currency profile image60
          Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

auto shift

9. Black Lilly profile image60
          Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

Only manual.
          I guess I wouldn't even know how to drive an automatic one...

10. alexandriaruthk profile image68
          alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

automatic is better

11. Bovine Currency profile image60
          Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

if I had any option I would get a bmw 7 speed auto shifter but the tax on euro imports is hell in Aus.

12. dohn121 profile image82
          dohn121posted 14 years ago

Stick shift...Unless I get stuck in mid-town traffic in the Big Apple sad

13. Petra Vlah profile image60
          Petra Vlahposted 14 years ago

Stick shift is more FAN and much safer than automatic.

Stick shift all the way!

14. profile image51
          fads58posted 14 years ago

If you want a quicker car i would suggest a automatic,otherwise a manuel is a lot more fun

15. profile image52
          newbloggerposted 14 years ago

i have to go with the stick shift so much more fun...ya know whos in control and ya know your driving....automatic drivers can hardly be called drivers right?

sad guess I'm not a driver then sad

1. earnestshub profile image80
              earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can use most auto trans cars like a manual if you like and change very fast, but you will not beat a good driver in a new auto just using the throttle to create the changes at peak torque!

Hey Earnest, don't mind me smile. Driver or not, I'd still go for the automatic.

smile
                  I raced bikes and cars for many years and the manual is pretty good for delivering big horsepower, it is just that the auto has come so far lately that they even work well in small cars without loss of acceleration or fuel over the manual. The Honda Jazz 1.5 litre has a 7 speed auto with little paddles on the steering wheel, and the gear changes up or down are sensationally quick and smooth. smile

7 speed! maybe by the time we can buy an auto car, it will be up to 9 or 10 speed lol

It is a bit of a trick actually, the transmission is infinitely variable with 7 lock up points as gears! Very slick, you can buy a used one here for around 12,000 AUD. smile

16. Sean Leong profile image62
          Sean Leongposted 14 years ago

Cars with automatic transmission are meant for lazy people, grandma and grandpa.lol

In term of acceleration, top speed, fuel consumption and the fun or thrill of driving, manual beats auto hands down.cool

17. profile image0
          sarah dawkinsposted 14 years ago

I definitely prefer a manual gearbox here in the UK.  It gives me more control of the car.  My hubby prefers an automatic, for the laziness of it.  As mentioned before, most people here in the UK drive a manual as automatics are for people who can't use gears.

18. earnestshub profile image80
          earnestshubposted 14 years ago

The new automatic transmissions will out-drive a manual gearbox. The computer is much better at picking peak talk least fuel settings than the old transmissions without electronic management were, and a lot better than the average driver can with a manual box. smile

1. ab420 profile image61
            ab420posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very true, you cannot out-shift a computer, that's all there is to it!

19. wychic profile image85
          wychicposted 14 years ago

I'd have to say I'm another female who only does a stick shift...automatics tend to confuse me, I can't find the clutch!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
        Necessary
        HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
        LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
        Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
        AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
        Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
        CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
        Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
        Features
        Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
        Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
        Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
        Marketing
        Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
        Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
        Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
        Statistics
        Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
        ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
        ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)