Anyone have trouble learning to ride a scooter?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

I just got a gift - the Sentos Italian Scooter. 

Beautiful but I am like an uncoordinated skeleton with no strength and can't turn.  I haven't got my license yet,once I have my written(On strike) I can practice on the roads, then my driving test I'll be fully licensed but will I be fully qualified..I weigh 105 pounds and maybe it's my fear of falling in my attempts to drive (especially with speed). Anybody else take time learning their bike, scooter or moped, any  vehicle for that matter  I want this to work!!!!!!

Thanks Kimberly

smile

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this
    2. Wing Girl Kim profile image72
      Wing Girl Kimposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course! You will learn how to ride, safety, and get a license waiver. Plus your insurance will be reduced by passing the course.

3. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Trust and confidence are the key. Turn your head where you want to go and generally the bike/scooter will follow. You tend to "lean" more than "turn" on a scooter.  For instance if I want to go left, I will turn my head left and "push away" the right handle bar vice pulling the left handle bar toward me. Practice going slow! Riding a scooter slowly is actually harder!  Anyone can ride fast(within reason!), as it's easier to controll.

1. Papajon profile image79
        Papajonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I must second that advice - I've been riding scooters for years and the two tricks are 1) turn your head and look where you want to go 2) when riding at really slow speed use your rear brake. On an automatic (or twist-and-go) scooter that will usually be on the left handle bar. Using the back brake while also giving it some juice seems to make it control better - the same is true on geared bikes. I don't understand the science but it works.

2. custom motorcycle profile image58
    custom motorcycleposted 14 years ago

I've been riding motorcycles for years and I myself still have a little trouble riding scooters. I thnk is has something to do with where your legs are positioned. In front of you instead of beside you like on a bicycle.

You do have to lean your scooter to turn correctly and that can be scary. Fear seems to be the number one cause for people not being able to ride two wheeled vehicles more than skill. In other words that scooter will do just about anything you want it to do, but your fear may be keeping you from making it do it.  I takes more confidence than skill to ride a scooter.

Here's tip: when you're in a safe place practicing, practice things like emergency stops, very tight turns, turning on an incline. Build confidence that you can handle the tough situations and the rest will be easy.

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Custom, your amazing, thanks so much.  Because I am without a license, I practice in underground parking at my building.  The comment you made about the position of our feet makes a lot of sense and I honestly feel more confident about driving as you said it's more about that than skill in the end.

Your a gem,PS next the bike, but I'll take my time, although I can't wait.

Really appreciate you answering my question, thank you so much,
      Kimberly

3. profile image52
    harleyman99posted 14 years ago

you should take the motorcycle course,it will teach you confidence and the skill you will need and must have to ride the streets,it's not so much you as the other guy cutting you off and so forth,have patients and you will do fine,there is nothing like it in the world, i have been riding for over 20 years,it is a way of life or my life stle good luck and ride hard

4. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Thanks y'all taking the course-2days in April, on the road by May, I pray lol

Thanks though

big_smile

5. The Rope profile image60
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

Rented one for my sister and I - one each.  It was a birthday milestone for me and I wanted to do something different.  YAAAA...I did fine in the short training course.  Went out on the road, tried to turn but I'm not coordinated enough to use handle brakes appropriately.  big_smile: Flew over the handlebars on my first try, 6 seconds after leaving the training ground.  Got back on, dusted off the gravel, rode for two more hours. 

Good Luck Lyrics!  I know you'll do better than this ol' gray mare.

6. resspenser profile image71
    resspenserposted 14 years ago

Practice starting and stopping. Wear some heavy clothes, boots and gloves. Also get yourself a full face helmet and just know that if you ride long enough....... you will fall. The biggest danger you will face on the street is others. If you hit a car or it hits you....you lose.

Watch out for sand, dirt and other obstacles in the roadway. Even at slow speeds these things can put you on your butt!
    Also when you are in your local Barnes & Noble get some motorcycle mags out and look through them. Lots of info there.

I wrote a hub on motorcycle safety if you want to look at it sometime.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)