Ford Escape or Toyota Highlander

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Whitney05 profile image84
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

I'm getting a small SUV, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the 2010 Escape or the 2009 Highlander. Both fully loaded. The only difference is the Escape doesn't come with heated seats. The difference if $5,000 in the favor of the Escape.

I'm going to check out the Escape today, but as of now the Highland is the only small SUV I've been able to see the road clearly in.

(I drive a mustang now.)

So.. Any other suggestions? As to anything you're heard for either one? Pros or cons?

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

i would pick ford as they didnt take any stimulis, I havent heard anything negative about either.

1. profile image0
        Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile

2. MikeNV profile image68
      MikeNVposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No matter what Ford claims about their Quality over the long haul the Toyota will hold it's resale value and the Ford will not.

The Ford Explorer is a perfect example of a vehicle which did not hold it's value.

3. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Both are good cars.

2. Jeffrey Neal profile image67
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

I don't know much about the specifics of the new models, but I used to sell Ford.  The Escape is a real nice little SUV, but I couldn't talk the wife into getting the Tribute (Mazda's doppelganger).

The Toyota is probably a little nicer, and should hold on to resale value quite a bit better, but I've never been in one.  The new ones don't look as good as I thought the previous body-style did, but most Toyotas don't appeal to me in styling.

If you end up liking both equally, then decide if lower payments now or better resale down the road matter most.

3. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Both good vehicles, IMO.

4. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

for other suggestions suzuki. they have really low interest financing

5. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

I looked at the Highlander and the 4Runner, and then went with the Acura MDX (yes, it has heated seats!). Japanese cars have fantastic resale value, but you're probably not exactly thinking along those lines at the moment.

I had an Acura Integra that I bought new in '89. I still have it - with 350,000 miles on it - and it still runs beautifully (the engine, that is - the rest of the car is falling apart around it smile

So that's my take on Japanese vs. American - I'm really sorry to say.

Oh, and one more thing - Toyota will "certify" a car mechanically if you want to buy it used, which means they not only give you a warranty, they go over the car and fix anything that might be wrong with it.

Good luck with your purchase.

6. Whitney05 profile image84
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

Madame X, I looked at the Acura MDX 2007 model, and I couldn't see over the dash, so I had to cross that one off the list on that note, which sucks because it is a good looking SUV.

Basically, here's what I've found:

Highlander has more power but you'll take a few more trips to the gas station bc of a bigger tang (but I'm a little confused on that bc the Escape and Highlander both have same mileage). Also has a little more cargo space in the back, and gives off a little less emissions per 15,000 miles

Escape has more head space in the front but a tad less in the back.  Escape is lighter and is a little lower, which gives it a better center of gravity and easier access.

Overall, no BIG differences in head space or leg space. No big differences in turning radii. No difference in parking. No big difference in size. No BIG differences anywhere.

I guess it's going to come down to whether I can see out of the Escape as good as the Highlander.

All I know is my bf is starting to get irritating. He already shudders at cloth seats bc "leather is better." He wants the Highlander because he wants to be able to tell his friends that I bought a 40k SUV for like 26k after down payment and trade-in, which is better than one of his friends got on a used 4runner. He's down to scrapping the barrel at Ford's leather seats aren't as comfortable as Toyota.

Oh, and saying I'd use the heated seats if I had them; which isn't the point. The point is, I won't miss them if I don't have them, but I'd sure miss 5,000 plus interest on that 5k when it's out of pocket, not his.

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image67
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Leather is easier to keep clean, so it's better in that respect, but it's cold in winter, hot in summer unlike cloth.  I have leather in my Explorer, and prefer it to the cloth seats in my previous car.

Yeah, your vehicle, your decision. smile

7. jobister profile image60
    jobisterposted 14 years ago

Japanese cars > American cars, go with Japanese car spend that extra $5000 on not having to take your car for a new transmission in the next 5 years. If you are interested in finding out cost of ownership of these two vehicles i recommend you check out edmunds.com and they have a Cost to Own section.

8. Flightkeeper profile image65
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Any difference in fuel usage?

9. Toyota Parts Barn profile image60
    Toyota Parts Barnposted 14 years ago

We have a Highlander and love it.  Though I work at a Toyota dealership and believe in their products ... its hard to compare the quality and resale value between the two.  That $5,000 is the only draw to Ford.  Under A-Plan the amount was even more for us and we still didn't go with the Escape.

10. Arthur Fontes profile image75
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

I sold new Fords for about four years and I was even part of the launch of the Escape.  It is a great vehicle and is a fine American made vehicle.  Your question could be answered by how long do you keep your vehicles if you drive them over 100k then the Toyota is the way to go as it will be more durable for longer.  If you only keep your cars for 3-5 years then go with the Escape and save the money .. Another thought the Mazda Tribute is the same vehicle as the Escape Exactly the same except Mazda offers a better warranty

11. Idude607 profile image59
    Idude607posted 13 years ago

Go with Ford, Toyota is not as "tough" as they once were. Ford has really stepped up their "game" in making cars, years ago I would not even think about buying a Ford. Guess that have change now...what a weird world we live in!

12. profile image52
    Ryloposted 13 years ago

Go american.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)