jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (14 posts)

Which means of transportation will be best for a short distance move?

1. Freda Raffeal profile image61
    Freda Raffealposted 6 years ago

Suggest the best means for a short distance move

1. 61
      suzettecposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Rent a Uhaul

2. 0
    ralwusposted 6 years ago

It would depend on how much stuff you have, how much help you  have and how many large pieces you have also. My choice would be my Pickup truck, full size and maybe a trailer also.

3. 0
    cosetteposted 6 years ago

i would just rent a truck from Uhaul or some place like that. they come in all different sizes, and you can get moving boxes and pads etc.

4. readytoescape profile image61
    readytoescapeposted 6 years ago

There are some new companies out there that will drop a storage container at your location, then move the entire loaded unit to your new location.

5. ediggity profile image59
    ediggityposted 6 years ago

A mule.

6. articleposter profile image59
    articleposterposted 6 years ago

Bycycle smile

1. VacationAustralia profile image82
      VacationAustraliaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

A three tonne truck with a large body and a hydraulic loader should do the trick.

7. irwanfazri profile image61
    irwanfazriposted 6 years ago

Compact car

8. Shadesbreath profile image89
    Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago

I moved 8 times in 8 years, and have moved 11 times total, here's my advice:

Main thing with a move is to get your crap all packed/boxed BEFORE you "move" it.

If it's all ready to go - packing can be done over many days/weeks in advance... when you actually make the act of transporting it from old locale to new, it's fast and easy.

If you do that, then renting a U-haul becomes easier as you know how much stuff you really have based on number of boxes...

...OR, if you are using your own pickup and some friends, you won't waste valuable time packing, and your friends (who tend not to be good for more than a few hours in many cases) will be most maximized this way.

9. Karina S. profile image60
    Karina S.posted 6 years ago

10. 0
    Denno66posted 6 years ago

Who said a mule? Ack!

11. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 6 years ago

Here in the UK, I would scour the local paper for adverts featuring "man with a van". You'll get some muscles to help shift your stuff and amusing conversation en route.

I did make the mistake a long time back of hiring a Christian van with 2 men, because I thought it would be good to support the organisation since it did a lot of work helping druggies. Spent a 2-hour journey with hymns on the CD player and constant efforts to convert me -

12. Actioncameron profile image61
    Actioncameronposted 6 years ago

I like to take my moving as a chance to organize and dispose or recycle. I like the idea of the moving comtainer dropped close to your door. As you organize you can move it out of the equasion but it sits under lock and key. They normally give you 3 to 4 days to do your move. It worked for m several times now.