jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (16 posts)

Favorite older car under $20,000

1. I am DB Cooper profile image65
    I am DB Cooperposted 6 years ago

I'm looking into buying myself another car, as my current car is starting to show its age. I'd like to buy an older car, at least 15 years old, but I still want something interesting and in good condition, not just some old beater. I'd like to hear some ideas from other Hubbers. Given those criteria (15+ years old, good condition, under $20,000), what vehicle would you buy and why?

1. Arthur Fontes profile image90
      Arthur Fontesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

An H22 Honda Prelude Si or an Acura GSR Integra.  $20,000 will buy you an incredible car, you could plan on spending half of that or less.

I can sell you a 95 Mazda Miata 85k for $4000.00

2. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 6 years ago

15 + Interesting under 20, go buy yourself a Corvette.

1. 0
      Car Donationsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

BMW and a Mercedes would be a good bet too. Try those.

3. Motorcyle Mom profile image80
    Motorcyle Momposted 6 years ago

Our dealership just picked up a 97 Mercedes SL600 roadster, V12 I love this car, handles great, and has all the bells and whistles including a panoramic sunroof.  Driving down the road, a real headturner, older cars well maintained are the best value I think!

4. Richieb799 profile image67
    Richieb799posted 6 years ago

Buy a British Classic MGB, I owned an MGB GT 1980 model and the owners clubs can be found nationwide. I don't know how available they are in the U.S but for $20,000 yu could buy a mint one. I even saw an MGB Roadster on the TV show Friends once!

5. 0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 6 years ago

wow. 20,000!!!! Ive never even been close to owning anything that costs that much.

I love my 89 Jeep!!

thats not mine, but it looks alot like it.

1. 0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 6 years ago in reply to this

oh yeah, why...it's way fun, good on gas, 4 wheel drive comes in handy if you live in a winter place, every part you ever thought you might need is available, the top comes off, it can go anywhere (a bonus for camping and such)..and people always honk and wave when I am driving it!!

6. Ivorwen profile image85
    Ivorwenposted 6 years ago

We have a 95 Land Cruiser, in pristine condition, that we bought for less than 12k.  It is perfect for our family and location.

Not sure what you needs are.  If I was getting something just for me and didn't need four wheel drive, I would look into sports cars and European luxury cars.

7. th1981 profile image61
    th1981posted 6 years ago

I would have to go for an older Merc or BMW.  A mid 90's AMG or M Series would be less than 20k.

8. 61
    neiljhonson01posted 6 years ago

According to me BMW and a Mercedes are the best car in cureent time. Find out more updates on Automobile Industry

9. 60
    Ross Kposted 6 years ago

I would recommend a Mercedes E Class from 90-94.  These cars were over engineered and built like tanks.  Nothing like Benz's of today.  Shut the doors on those and its like a bank vault.  Engines can for for 300K plus as long as you do routine services.  They come in 6 and 8 cylinders.   If you want to go Japanese the early 90's LS400 from Lexus is another car that was over engineered since they were made to compete with the Germans.  For your $20K budget you can pick up some real clean examples.

Good Luck!

10. WHoArtNow profile image83
    WHoArtNowposted 6 years ago

For that price and 30 seconds on ebay, I'd go for this mint 1978 911 SC for $13K

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche- … ba5c#v4-39

Or for something a bit newer and more powerful, this 1987 911 Turbo looks good for $17K

Those choices aside, I'd only be looking at a classic 911 because there amazing fun, beautiful and because there are a lot of them, they are either mint or a little knackered but cheap! Plus lots of replacement/aftermarket parts.

I've written a hub on Porsche's, I won't link to it on here for fear of getting reported, but have a look on my profile.

11. earnestshub profile image88
    earnestshubposted 5 years ago

I like the idea of an early Porsche too. A better drive than most.

I also like early 5 series BMW's but you need to know about their design faults. You can buy a well sorted one if you know what you are doing.
    I have listed the design faults for each series on my BMW hubs.

I had an early Benz that was very well built, but am not a fan of the Mercedes Benz drive. The 5 series is a real drivers car and feeds road data better than the Benz of the same years.

The Porsche is brilliant for parts delivery straight from the factory and are a delight to work on if you love fine German engineering.

I have rebuilt a 911 carrera motor in the middle of the Northern Territory jungle. Porsche delivered all parts promptly and assisted with advice during assembly.

12. allfiredup profile image60
    allfiredupposted 5 years ago

This would be my short wish list-

Lexus SC400 1992-2000
    Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo 1990-1996
    BMW 840 or 850 1991-1997
    Mercedes-Benz 500E 1991-1994 (called E500 for 1994)

1. earnestshub profile image88
      earnestshubposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Some very nice engines and drive trains in this lineup allfiredup. smile