jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Mustang 03 Gas mileage

1. romper20 profile image85
    romper20posted 6 years ago

I have searched on google to find out the exact gas mileage to my 03 mustang v6 and it says around 29 miles to the gallon. I do not think this is accurate even though I drive alittle agressive I seem to get merely 15-20 MPG... Anyone got any tips or answers?

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

Tune up your engine and check all the sensor operation.  There are about thirty-eleven of these suckers and many will affect gas mileage.

Drive like gramma.  Take 30 seconds to get to 60 mph.  Coast to stop signs instead of gassing it all the way and slamming on the brakes.  Maintain as even a speed as possible - watch for stop lights and slow down so that stopping isn't necessary.  Slow down to 5mph UNDER the speed limit instead of 10 over.  Keep windows up and AC off.  There are tires designed for increased gas mileage - buy a set.  Use only good quality gas, but not a higher octane rating than required.  Do not use gasohol of any mix.  Empty the car of extra weight - clean out the garbage and un-needed trash in the trunk.

There are dozens of mileage tips, but none of then say to drive a "little aggressively".  I suspect that your "little aggressive" is my "My god there's Parnelli Jones coming up on me!"  Of course I drive conservatively, squeezing all I can from the tank of my Prius and get nearly 10 mpg OVER the govt. estimate.

romper20posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Awesome answer thank you very much for sharing Wilderness

1. earnestshub profile image87
        earnestshubposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, very good answers. I agree.

In my experience (35 years in the motor industry as a business owner) these are the best ways I know to save gas and maintenance costs as well. smile

romper20posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes i still need a tune up and oil change both runn me about $180 UGH!! i have to get it done though. I learned quick with these used cars you have to keep them lubed up lol

3. 0
    ThomasRydderposted 5 years ago

Hey Romper...I have an 07 Mustang (with a V-6) and I get about the same as you. I joined a Mustang forum online (Mustangforums.com) and got a few ideas. One is a cold air intake, available at any major auto parts dealer. Another is a custom exhaust (dual), and a third is a high-flow air cleaner cover. (that particular post suggested using the GT mustang cover). Any one of these is supposed to be good for 1-2 mpg's. Hope that helps.