British scientists have invented a cheap artificial petrol......

1. CMHypno profile image89
    CMHypnoposted 5 years ago

that also apparently will be able to run in existing cars and not release any greenhouse gases.

Do you think that in the next few years there will be petrol substitutes invented that will stop our dependence on fossil fuels? … -cars.html

2. William R. Wilson profile image60
    William R. Wilsonposted 5 years ago

The article didn't really give enough info to assess the technology.  It looks like it will require the car manufacturers to modify their cars, so that makes it a question of how profitable it will be for the car makers.  That's been the problem in the US so far - we've had the technology to make cars that don't run on gas for years, but it's always been more profitable to keep building gas burners.  Plus the infrastructure for pumping gas is already here, etc.

So I think it's too early to tell. 

It would be great if someone really could come up with a cheap source of non polluting energy. But I'm not holding my breath.

3. CHRIS57 profile image61
    CHRIS57posted 5 years ago

Using hydrogen for fuelling a car is not really new.
    You can do with hydrogen much more than just burning it in a compustion engine.

The use of hydrogen to propell cars is only green, if CO2 is not emitted. How do you get hydrogen? By electrically separating hydrogen and oxygen out of water. How do you produce electricity? In power plants. If you use coal or gas turbin power plants, you produce more CO2 than burning gasoline/diesel directly.

Use a nuclear power station (not very popular after Fukushima) or renewable energy (water, wind, solar) and the whole thing starts to make sense.
    Hydrogen is just an energy storage. You canĀ“t get it from thin air and is quite costly.