jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Is my car REALLY broken now???

1. LeanMan profile image82
    LeanManposted 4 years ago

For the mechanically minded out there...

Have had a water leak and my ole Ford Ranger was overheating... then the starter went and the battery died... Fixed starter, fixed leak, new battery - reassembled... took forever to get it to start - water coming out of the exhaust!!

Is this a cracked head/block/blown gasket/aliens/revenge from the religion forums?? Opinions please........

1. pistolaro profile image59
      pistolaroposted 4 years ago in reply to this

most vehicals have moister comeing out of the exhaust, this helps in   keeping emissions under control. check your oil if it is a milky collor it is likely you have a blown head gasket.

2. CWanamaker profile image94
      CWanamakerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

How much water is coming out? A liitle bit may be normal. If your exhaust is white or blue then you may have a problem. A sweet smelling odor is also indication of a water leak. If you are having these symptoms its most likely a head gasket. Since you say it has overheated before, a cracked head is also possible.

3. 60
      Jesus was a hippoposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If an engine overheats (as you say yours did) there is a chance that the cylinder head has warped.

If it is hard to get it to start and you have already checked your glow plugs, then I would recommend doing a pressure test on each of the cylinders.

It only takes about 15 minutes on a 4 pot and is an inexpensive way of checking before removing the head.

If the head has warped then you can get it skimmed and it will be good as gold, if a cylinder has cracked though, it has had it.

4. 70
      logic,commonsenseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

2. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 4 years ago

The thing that would concern me is the discharge coming out of your exhaust.. especially given that from December 22 - January 18 tends to be the mating season for Garden Gnomes throughout the world. Was your vehicle parked in the dark at any stage during this period? yikes

Check the color of your sump oil... if it is milky then you are likely to have a cracked head.. Water from your exhaust can be just due to non use, but should rectify itself after 10mins of idling.

Typically loss of power and inability to idle without surging can indicate a blown head gasket, as does extreme overheating and loss of radiator fluids. Check your timing.. run your motor on idle.. take off your oil cap and check to see if it is smoking. If not.. cool. Hard starting can be due to oiled plugs, badly set gaps, compression... and sexually active Wood Gnomes! To avoid the later from occurring.. get yourself a Mazda... good luck smile

1. LeanMan profile image82
      LeanManposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think the wood gnomes could have a lot to do with it... it's a diesel, new glowplugs, and it is surging... but now dark... so I will check properly in the morning.. I hope only a gasket.........

3. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

Hey LeanMan, you could always go through Earnest's hubs and see if he wrote one about your vehicle. As far as I know his family is keeping his hubs up and he was always writing about cars and how to repair things on them.

It's just a thought.