jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

What are some ways that you deal with road rage?

1. breastpumpreviews profile image85
    breastpumpreviewsposted 4 years ago

Road rage is steadily increasing, what are some ways that you deal with road rage?

breastpumpreviewsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I know that I am guilty.  If someone cuts me off, I will blare my horn at them.  I haven't gotten crazy though and followed someone or slammed on my breaks.  I do try to drive defensively and predict what other drivers are going to do.  My predictions usually end up being correct.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 4 years ago

well...if the rage is close, i pull over and get out of the way...and let the rage pass me by...whew!

3. Shanna11 profile image91
    Shanna11posted 4 years ago

I have to admit, I respond poorly to road rage. I stay calm, but I antagonize. I was on a dirt road once, and there was a guy in a HUGE pickup truck behind me going eighty and passing everyone dangerously. I couldn't believe what a jerk off this guy was being, so I let my car drift to the center of the road so he couldn't get past me. smile

I'm sure one day my antagonistic habits will bite me in the butt. People need to learn to control themselves when behind the wheel of possible killing machine.

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The road rager needs to practice something called defensive driving.  And as you said, as do you also perhaps?!  Last time I looked, that phrase was in the Driver's Manual.  Maybe it's not anymore, I dunno! haha.   But it simply means to do your best to drive safely, even if others aren't;  don't let anyone tempt you into doing something that's just as bad.
      I think people maybe should get the license number of a vehicle that's being driven too fast and furiously, and call the police.  Instead of taking matters into their own hands.  I know it's tempting, but I know people who've let fast drivers AND slow drivers tempt them into behaving horribly themselves, and they get into trouble.

Another thing is that we should realize there's a human behind the wheel of a vehicle.  I know people who get so irritated at a slow driver, but it could possibly be that that driver is in unfamiliar territory or has some other human reason that they're not going exactly the speed they should be.  We're not robots.    Defensive driving.  Not offensive.  No matter what the circumstance.

1. Shanna11 profile image91
        Shanna11posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Ahah, defensive driving is still in the manual! That's what I learned in driver's ed a few years back. Most of the time I drive defensively.

4. 0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 4 years ago

I am retired, so when I get there, I get there.  If someone cuts me off, honks or flips me off, I just smile and wave.  As a driver, I will wait patiently for pedestrians needing to cross the street or will let cars get in front of me.  No problema.  You'd be surprise how much your driving habits change once you don't have to be at work or some meeting.  Personally, I don't do road rage or let some inconsiderate driver ruin my day.

1. Hugh Williamson profile image89
      Hugh Williamsonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Very sensible answer.

Complaining about the behavior of other drivers doesn't really help.

breastpumpreviewsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Venting isn't always a bad thing.  Especially if it keeps your road rage in check on the road ways.  I know that sometimes someone catches me on a bad day, and I get very frustrated that some driver almost hit my car or is weaving in and out of traffic.  Or better yet, those crazy motorcycle drivers that think its fun to do stunt driving down the freeway in 5'o clock traffic.

5. 0
    klarawieckposted 4 years ago

I've seen people get beat up because of road rage, and I once saw a driver get down from his truck with a shotgun and point it to another driver who had been arguing with him for a while. Here in South Florida, you just can't do much to avoid it, except don't respond and keep on driving. There's a lot of CRAZY down here!

6. seanorjohn profile image80
    seanorjohnposted 4 years ago

I find a baseball bat a handy tool to have on these occasions.

Shotguns are far too noisy.

Always best to keep things simple and avoid exacerbating the situation.