jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Cameras at U.K. gas stations block uninsured drivers from refueling

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

"Cameras at U.K. gas stations will block uninsured drivers from refueling"

Guaranteed to be implemented in the US within 10 years. California will probably be first.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/ca … 57252.html

1. John Holden profile image61
      John Holdenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It doesn't actually block them from refuelling (shame) it just records their details. Seeing as how that information is already held I don't see what it achieves - pretty typical of the present government!

2. JKenny profile image95
    JKennyposted 4 years ago

I didn't know this paradigmsearch, thanks for sharing. I live in the West Midlands, England and apparently my region has the most uninsured drivers in the country, so those cameras will be pretty busy.

3. Alastar Packer profile image84
    Alastar Packerposted 4 years ago

Good heavens JK, England's got about the same sq. mileage as N.C. and y'all have something like 4.2 million CCTV's- one for ever 14 peeps! Checked the net and even with that 80% of London's crime goes unsolved. How many more does your government need to do whatever it is they want to do bro.

1. JKenny profile image95
      JKennyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I know, Alastar. Most people over here, already say that we live in a big brother state. Most of our roads are littered with speed cameras, even though most of them don't work. I remember reading about a scheme that was tried near where I live; they fitted microphones to the camera to enable whoever sits in the control room to 'tell off' anyone caught breaking the law. I think they abandoned it because the controller got fed up of telling people off for dropping litter.

2. CMHypno profile image89
      CMHypnoposted 4 years ago in reply to this

They could try just getting the police back out on the streets patrolling instead of being tied up in all the paperwork they have to do now, only that would be too simple a solution!

1. John Holden profile image61
        John Holdenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

What police? David Cameron has decided that we don't actually need that many and is getting rid of lots of them.

4. CMHypno profile image89
    CMHypnoposted 4 years ago

We definitely need to do something about uninsured drivers in the UK as too many people are getting killed on the roads by these people, but this seems to be another example of our usual totally absurd and impractical idea of a way to try and solve it. If it follows the usual pattern in the UK, they will start capturing the information on the cameras, some suit out for drinks on a Friday night will leave their laptop/disks containing all the info on the vomit comet (last train home)and the only person ever prosecuted will be some poor soul who actually has got insurance. Sum total being billions spent, sensitive information spilling everywhere, and just as many uninsured drivers!

I think the government need to reflect on projects like the massive NHS database that was quietly shelved after a massive outlay before they go ahead with it.