Stuck Between Buying Diesel Or Petrol Car: Price And Fuel Efficiency
I received an email from Deepak regarding buying a car in India. He is confused between buying diesel or petrol version of cars in the range of 4 to 6 lakhs. Below I have added his email query and my answer with car comparisons. I am publishing this article as it can be helpful for other visitors who are interested in buying a car but are stuck between buying diesel or petrol.
Email query by Deepak: Hi Soni, I happened to come across your articles in HubPages and appreciate you on the good work. I intend to buy a hatchback in the range of Rs. 4-6 lakhs. I am particularly interested in the VW Polo and also the Fiat Grande Punto and Nissan Micra as well. My field of work keeps me away from home for 4 months at a stretch during which I don't expect the car to see a lot of the road. The car will be seeing some use (approximately 1000 km/month) only during the 2 months I am home (after every 4 months). I am not able to decide whether to go for the petrol version of the car or the diesel version. Heard from a few that diesel cars would not be the ideal take in my case. But the relatively better fuel efficiency and lower fuel price have led me to think otherwise. Also, the fact that diesel version of cars cost more than their petrol siblings and my lack of knowledge as to which version requires more maintenance have really put me in a dilemma. Your advice, thoughts, or suggestions on this to help be make the wise decision will be much appreciated.
My answer to Deepak: Hi Deepak, first of all thanks a lot for visiting and liking my articles on Indian automotive and cars at hubpages. As you are stuck between buying diesel or petrol hatchbacks in 4 lakhs to 6 lakhs range, I would advice you to buy a diesel car for the following reasons:
- You have to shell out a little bit more money when buying a diesel car but it is a long-term investment because diesel is always cheaper than petrol.
- Regarding maintenance of diesel car, you don’t need to worry. Timely service will do the work for you. Maintenance of diesel cars is not a big problem nowadays.
- Also nowadays, diesel cars are coming with much more advanced technology not like the old ones, which were coming with roaring noise causing a nuisance to onlookers. Also in India, some diesel cars don’t even make any noise. They are as smooth as their petrol versions.
- You just have to invest more money in the starting when you will buy the car but after a year or two you will get good returns of investment in the form of better fuel efficiency and great mileage.
- According to you, you are interested in Volkswagen Polo, Fiat Grande Punto, and Nissan Micra, but according to me Maruti Swift Diesel is the best option as it is coming in your range and is a Maruti’s car. The ex-showroom price of Maruti Swift Diesel Ldi is Rs. 4,86,325 and on road price is 5,23,763 INR whereas the ex-showroom price of VW Polo in Hyderabad is 5,42,000 INR and on road price is approximately 5,82,000 INR. So it is costly than Swift Diesel.
- Also Fiat Grande Punto ex-showroom price in Delhi is approximately Rs 4,29,282 to Rs 6,46,390. Again a huge price difference when compared between Grande Punto and Swift Diesel.
- Nissan Micra Diesel comes in approximately 5,50,000 INR on road comprising of insurance, RTO, and other expenses and can be another option as it comes with accessories like ESP, fog lamps, ABS, EBD, parking sensors, traction control, and air bags for safety but then also I have not seen much Nissan cars rolling on Indian roads.
- If you buy Maruti Swift Diesel, you are buying the best diesel car in India with addition of easy serviceability and affordable spare parts.
- I know your driving will be less but then also diesel is the best option, as you will need a diesel car when driving for long tours or vacations on weekends, like 500 or more kms and you will not need to go for a diesel car rental. Your own car will be a completely affordable car in city or on highways.
I can only give you advice but you are the best decision maker because you are the one who is going to buy the car.
soni2006 (Rajinder Soni)
Best Diesel Car in India - 4 to 6 lakhs INRSee results without voting
More by this Author
Common questions about gear application on the Royal Enfield 350cc Standard Bike.
Recently, a friend of mine asked me that I have been driving Maruti Alto Lxi since last four years now and I want to sell my old car. I would like buy a new car in the budget of 3.5 lacs and my father is really...
In very simple terms, PCOS or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is a genetic problem with various hormonal manifestations. It presents with a rainbow of symptoms, including: difficulty losing weight, a tendency to gain...