10 Things you must know before starting that New Job
Starting a new job? Well I’ll tell you from experience that there are certain things you must know before you start that new job. Landing a new job can be fun, especially if the remuneration and working conditions are more desirable compared to what you’ve been getting previously. But wait, I mean stop right there! You want to make a good start on your first day? Like making a good impression of yourself to the boss, senior colleagues, and other members of staff? Then it might interest you to consider the following tips on how to conquer your first day at work First of all, do this: make a list of your wants ranging from new clothes, new cell phone, shoes and other personal effects. If you need cash, you can borrow an overdraft or loan from your bank or a friend to help you tidy things. And make a great start.
1) First impression counts: looking good is essential you must know this when starting a new job, your carriage and walk can help define your personality.
2) Be polite and friendly and bold; as body language says a lot about you, stand erect maintaining an all round good body posture, then keep your head right, look people straight in the eye but don’t look offensive while doing this, as some will want to see it as an air of arrogance, but you see is better than being looked down on as a timid ass, make them realize that you know all that is needed to be known before starting a new job, you get it? Ya I can see you smiling.
3) Open a bank account if you don’t have one, you’ll need a bank account to keep your money
4) Practice time management by making a list of what you would do daily. Having a to-do-list could be a great way of starting well on a new job, as it saves you a great amount of time. Then approach your work logically especially if you are in the habit of mixing things up, just don’t screw up as this is your first day at work remember!
5) Handle the tough jobs first, once you get them of the way, it gives you a sense of achievement and keeps you in the right frame of mind to handle the next task
6) Be amiable and mix up freely with people; this will help establish good working relationships from the start of work with your boss, colleagues and visitors; treat every one you meet with decorum and respect.
7) Always take time off work, don’t work your ass out, this is not good for your health and general well being: this is one important fact you must know before starting a new job or any job for that matter. It is very vital to relieve you from unnecessary stress and fatigue; it is also useful to balance your life in and out of work. So don’t think you are impressing any body by working all hours, rather avail our self of all the breaks you are entitled to. If you feel you need rest, if you can afford it; book a long weekend in your favorite hotel suite or even a day: staying away from any thing that could bring you memories of work at that moment is really needed and a weekend or day off spent in a hotel suite won’t be a bad idea.
8) If you work with a computer remember to maintain a good posture like sitting correctly while working. Avoid working on screen for more than 20 minutes without a break; adjust the screen resolution of your computer monitor to avoid excess light entering your eyes. Remember this same eye will come in handy for other personal engagements, and if you develop a bad eyesight as a result of working consistently on screen, it is not to the credit of the company, and instead of promoting they’ll fire you and pay some sort of compensation, so know this before you start that new job, this is very important.
9) Remember to seek help from those more experienced on the job than you e.g. your boss or the person who hired you or maybe your line manager, chat with colleagues who know the workings of the place. Ask your boss or your superior if he can spare five minutes at a convenient time, work out what you want to say in advance so that you can explain the problem clearly. If possible offer a solution: this shows you have initiative and you are reliable and also dependable
10) As a starter, listen more than you talk, and when you talk, remember to walk the talk; this is very important when starting a new job, it makes people see you as a pragmatic person instead of a theoretical person. Don’t criticize any of your colleagues until you fully understand all the relationships
Lastly, I would have included this as the eleventh tip, because I expect you to know this, however if you don’t; then I must tell you, remember friends and family will be dying to know how you are coping at your new work place: it is best to avoid making or receiving any personal phone calls or email on your first day at work.
Remember it is wrong to start asking questions about holidays and going home time either. Above all this, remember you are who you are, be your self, no pretence, remain hard working and in no time you’ll start climbing your career ladder by just knowing all this tips before you start that new job.
ALL the best, and see you at the top!
More by this Author
Hi, you could liken this to being on the set of pretty little liars TV show A liar will always be a liar, but do you know that you can make even the worst of all liars sing? I mean tell you the exact tale of all his...