5 Must-Have Qualities for Running a Successful Retail Store Business
People who are interested in starting a retail store need to make sure that they are in a position to really make the store a success. This is particularly true in these tough economic times when many businesses are struggling to stay afloat. There are many things to take into consideration to determine if a business is going to be able to do well right now including the location and type of retail business that you are interested in starting. However, the true question of whether or not your business is going to do well has less to do with the store and a lot more to do with you. Ask yourself if you have the following five must-have qualities for running a successful retail store. If you do, you should be able to make your business work in spite of the difficulties that the retail economy is facing at this time.
1. A gift for working with people. The number one skill that you absolutely must have if you’re going to run a successful retail business is a way with people. You need to be able to get along with all different types of people. You need to be able to read people quickly and accurately so that you know the appropriate way to approach them. An aggressive sales approach is exactly right for some customers whereas others need to be left alone when they’re in your store; you need to be able to easily tell the difference. You also need to be able to work well with employees and others in varying positions of power and authority within your business. People who get along with almost everyone, know how to both talk and listen to others, can establish appropriate boundaries in all relationships and who truly enjoy being with people day in and day out are the people who are going to be most successful at running a retail business.
2. Ambition, drive and self-motivation. These three qualities go hand-in-hand to make you the kind of person who can keep a retail store thriving no matter what’s going on with the economy. You need to have ambitious goals for your business and the drive to work hard to achieve those goals. You need to be self-motivated enough to set a schedule and stick to it in order to realize your dreams without having someone lingering over your shoulder to make sure that you get your work done. If you are lazy, prefer being told what to do rather than figuring it out yourself or just don’t really have a strong sense of internal drive then you probably aren’t going to do well as a retail business owner.
3. Thirst for knowledge. You really need to have a strong thirst for knowledge if you’re going to stay on top of all of the information that you need to stay on top of to keep a successful retail business going. This will manifest itself most in the form of a passion for your industry. If you work in shoe retail, for example, you should be passionate enough about shoes to want to learn everything about the industry from how shoes are made to which celebrities are wearing what brands. This thirst for knowledge will make you informed enough about the store’s products to be able to successfully sell them to others.
4. Combination of creativity and organization. To run a successful retail business, you really need to be someone who is highly creative. You need to be able to come up with unique marketing and advertising for your store. You need to be able to design the retail space in a way that is pleasing to your customers. You need to be creative in bringing in new products. However, you can’t simply be artsy without also being structured and that’s where a strong sense of organization will come to play. If you can balance your creative energy with an organized approach to creativity then you’ll almost certainly be successful in your retail work.
5. Optimistic attitude. You have to be someone who naturally maintains an upbeat attitude about life if you’re going to make it in the retail business. There are a few reasons for this. First of all, you work with people and they prefer to be around positive energy. Secondly, there are many ups and downs in the retail world and you need a positive attitude to weather them. And finally, an optimistic attitude is what will let you find creative solutions to the daily and ongoing problems that will arise in any retail business.
There are many other qualities that you will want to have if you are going to run a successful retail business. For example, you will want to be decently good at math so that you can understand the numbers behind your work. You will want to have leadership skills, sales experience and a basic understanding of market trends. However, these are all things that you can learn or you can even hire someone to take care of for you. The five qualities listed here are not that way – you either have those qualities or you don’t – and if you don’t have those qualities then you should probably strongly consider looking at a career outside of the retail store ownership world because you probably won’t be successful. On the other hand, if you’ve read through this article and are thinking to yourself, “you know what? I’m a creative, organized, upbeat person with a passion for my business and the drive to make it work” then you’re probably someone who is going to do well as a retail store owner regardless of what’s going on in the economy around you. Put those skills to use and open up a store!
More by this Author
It's always unfortunate when we pay a lot of money to get a great item but then realize that we can't keep it. This can happen for a variety of different reasons. We move and the stuff can't come with us. We realize...
Do you enjoy baking? Would you like the freedom of working from home or working for yourself in a small bakery of your own? If so, you might want to start your own cookie business. You can start as a home-based business...
How can you tell if your mushrooms are turning bad? Find out the most common signs to look for before throwing them out.