Advertising 101 - How Commercial Ads feed the Media for Survival and Longevity
Media outlets come and go, but a more stable network and companies continue to exist as its people give information to the public, through print publication, broadcasting and television.
In order to survive, a media outlet needs an advertising or commercial ads from public entities or private businesses.
Since I was seventeen years old, before graduating in high school, the episode of career orientation highlighting radio broadcasting lured me to try it for the next decade. It happened while I'm juggling with my college studies and my new-found career as a drama talent.
It may sound simple but encouraging local businesses to advertise is hard to accomplish, even if you give them the lowest of quotations that the company offers.
Inside the FM radio booth
Kinds of Advertising, especially on the radio
As far as I know, there are many kinds of advertising that a media entity are embracing in order to pay the bills and the people who are working with them.
- regular product commercials - big companies paying huge sum of money in order to promote their products
- government ads - usually in minimal fees and free spots to fill up the show, whether it's for primetime or the graveyard shift
- seasonal ads - include: holiday season, political campaign and the block time ads for special programs
- For Regular Product Commercials, it is usually a ready-made ad or canned ad of a certain product, as in gadgets, kitchen utensils, toothpaste, shampoo, laundry or bath soap, diaper, liquor, bread, vitamins and a lot more. It is usually made by advertising agencies. They distributed it from the main station down to its local stations. Here in the Philippines, we usually dub the national commercial into our local dialect for a better understanding by radio listeners. Whereas on television and print media, the contents of national version stay as is.
- Government Ads promotes periodic campaign of the government, that involve health care, tourism and other programs. It is usually given as free radio spots, but I believe that it has an ample budget as part of media mileage.
- Seasonal Ads concentrate special occasions that need to be promoted. During Christmas season, there are a lot of sales happening. Election campaign is also visible in this kind of ad placement. Block time programs follow that non-government organizations (NGO) can handle. Some religious groups also maintain radio or even television program in order to connect with their members.
The rate on the radio is more cheaper than those in television and print publication.
I once heard a campaign that placing an ads on the radio is a very economical move, especially when the nation is experiencing financial and political unrest.
The advantage states that radio waves travel further and no satellite is needed just to make it on-air.
Immersing in the community
How Travel Man Survived during Lean Months on the Radio
This hubber was once and foremost a radio personality.
As part of his subject on Development Communications, he was able to channel his energy co on radio drama acting and news reporting. He was able to support his studies through the radio.
He also saw some light as he was commissioned to act in a local television production as the main actor of the drama anthology.
It's good to remember those golden years on the radio.
He was part of the top radio station as his slogan became the national campaign of the company.
Even though, he's not part of the finance department, the station manager encouraged him to solicit radio ads from local business owners who were willing to take part on the winningest moments in his radio career.
Note: A radio broadcaster or media personality can either be an unofficial voice of a certain politician in order to receive a payola or money due to his canned report or press release for him or follow what the Ethics of Journalism is all about.
Advertising, according to some well-known world personalities
"I know that campaigns can seem small, and even silly. Trivial things become big distractions. Serious issues become sound bites. And the truth gets buried under an avalanche of money and advertising. If you're sick of hearing me approve this message, believe me - so am I."
- Barack Obama, President of the United States of America
"An advertising agency is 85 percent confusion and 15 percent commission."
- Fred Allen, American Comedian - part of the Golden Age of American radio
Young people are threatened... by the evil use of advertising techniques that stimulate the natural inclination to avoid hard work by promising the immediate satisfaction of every desire.
- Pope John Paul II
Let the listeners have that radio experience.
The Ways of Advertising
How Advertising fare online
Advertising is a lure to keep your earning online.
Let's say, a pay-per-click scheme can earn you a lot of monetization if you will diligently be present on the web all the time.
For example, if you want to advertise your work on Facebook, by doing Food Page and the like, you'll be obliged to pay first before earning through PayPal and other legit paying outlets for your work.
Here on HubPages, you cannot click the ads being placed at your site. It will be a violation, if you touch those one-line ads or the picture-laden ads. Let others do it for you.
The radio is dead. Not yet...
I will never forget how the owner of my last radio company shoved us outside the radio station.
He never gave us our last monthly salary and he quipped that he will declare bankruptcy in order to escape his obligation from us, his employees.
Now, the radio is on an automated programming, using the Jazzler program in order to survive, minus the usual program host, only radio technician to record the placings of commercial ads.
The election campaign period is at bay and I'm sure, that radio station will be used again for political programs of the candidates who can pay the quota of advertising.
Radio will survive.
More by this Author
The empowerment of volunteers in many communities here in the Philippines is the main project of DSWD-KALAHI-CIDSS:NCDDP, not just the foreign-funded projects being given to the selected barangays.
Water Bonsai is the latest fad in home gardening. The beautiful twist is that you can grow the saplings of your choice inside your home due to a technology initiated by a Filipino inventor, Edwin dela Torre.
What an amazing feat for this woman that I had known for just a short while. Doing a One-Woman Exhibit and Fashion Show this 2012 will be a grand task for her, but she's taking it by stride. All recycled materials...