Travel and Life in Aiken and Orangeburg, South Carolina
Visit, Tour, or Stay in South Carolina
In considering Travel and Tourism - and family vacations - think about the Aikin area on the western side of South Carolina beside Georgia. In a recent National Geographic issue dedicated to the Top 50 Tours the society recommends, one of them is in the Aiken area. The place to stay is the Carriage House Inn in Aiken SC.
The Carriage House Inn
On the guided travel called the Historic Aiken Tour of Downtown Aiken, The Carriage House Inn is one of the stops. It gushes 19th century charm with hardwood floors, antiques, and charming suites built in a rennovated warehouse. The management offers brochures an dother materials for a self-guided tour around Aiken, including a touch-and-smell garden tour. Rooms are reasonably priced for a vacation spot and include breakfast. Golf Packages and others are available as well.
Read more at The Carriage House Inn.
Job and Business Market Area
Greater Aiken-Orangeburg Market Area
- Sustainability and Jobs in Columbia SC
The Columbia Metro Area boasts a population over 612,000 people in 2008 and is a large center of business in the Midlands of South Carolina. Unemployment began decreasing with new jobs in early 2009...
- Top 10 Hot Jobs in Sumter County SC
Sumter County joins Kershaw, Lee, Clarendon Counties in Northeast Central SC in order to form the labor market known as Santee-Lynches. About 40% of the 4-county population lives in Sumter County and about 20% live in Kershaw, leaving the remaining..
Lower Savannah Region
- The Hitchcock Woods
Hitchcock Woods offers visitors the natural beauty and quiet solitude of a unique southern forest located in the midst of an urban area, The City of Aiken. Maintenance of the trails, jumps, bridges. signs, map boxes, as well as protection and managem
- Lower Savannah Workforce Investment Area
Lower Savannah WIA onestop locations and employment information among the 6 counties of the region.
- Orangeburg Festival of Roses
Orangeburg activities. Edisto Memorial Gardens along the banks of the Edisto River, the longest black water river in the world.
Aiken has always been a place for hospitality and travel. Early on, folks from other parts of South Carolina traveled to Aiken to stay until an epidemic of malaria passed. Moneyed Northerners wintered in Aiken and returned North in the Spring. The sport of Polo has been popular in the area since the early 1880s. Because of all of this, the downtown area has never been allowed to decline like urban areas in large cities. A dedicated development association has seen to it that store fronts stay filled and new businesses come into the area.
The US National Trust for Historic Preservation has named Aiken one of a Dozen Distinctive Destinations not to be missed. Rose Hill is a National historic Estate open for tours, activities, and lodgings and is well known in South Carolina. Shops in Downtown include antique stores, bridal shops, teas-garden shops, wild bird feeder/feed sellers, a tennis and squash shop, real estate professionals, and several others. A number of dining establishments are there in the center of activities.
The Battle of Aiken
- Aiken Railroad Depot
- Aiken Thoroughbred Racing Hall of Fame & Museum - Home of Aiken's Racing Champions
- South Carolina State Historic Sites - Historic Plantations South Carolina - Redcliffe Plantation
Redcliffe Plantation State Historic Site is one of the state’s historic plantations. South Carolina State Historic Sites are big fun for the family!
- The RPSEC Observatory and Dupont Planetarium
DuPont Planetarium at the Ruth Patrick Science Education Center (RPSEC) on University of South Carolina Aiken (USCA) campus, an educational organization that teaches students and the community about astronomy and science in a fun way
Battle of Aiken Reenactment
City of Orangeburg
Over one half of this region's population live in either the Cities of Aiken or Orangeburg (in Orangeburg County). Unlike Aiken, the downtown area of Orangeburg fell into some decay. This occurred during the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s and culminated in a violent altercation related to civil rights in a local bowling alley in 1968, to which the Highway Patrol was called.
Revitalization of the downtown sectors began in earnest in 2000. At the same town the Downtown development entity instituted the Orangeburg County Community of Character program. By 2005, the City of Orangeburg had won an All-American City Award. The county chooses a different quality of character monthly and asks that residents considerate and try to develop it in themselves and their families. Citizens of the month are named and a character-building program is provided to 9th graders as they begin their high school careers.
Future projects that will create jobs in Orangeburg County include Garden of Hope, Veterans Memorial, a new Recreation Complex, a new City Council building, a new Gym, and new streetscaping downtown.
City of Orangeburg
100 Best Places to Relocate
Aiken was named as one of the Top 100 Best Places to Relocate by the organization called Relocate America. It is also ranked Number 7 among South Carolina cities for lower cost and higher quality of living. See the following links fo rmore information about the superior qualities of the City of Aiken:
Best Towns for Boomers
Best Boomer Towns™ named Aiken among its 21 Best Places to Thrive for Baby Boomers.
The organization states that if you are a Boomer, you are stylish, active, and resourceful, searching to reduce stress and increase living, and may seek more fresh air. Aiken is a place that will satisfy those needs.
Aiken is recommended for a lower cost of living than the national average, a high-quality healthcare system, and the Academy of Lifelong Learning that provides free tuition for Seniors to University of South Carolina at Aiken.
Employment Trends Aiken - Orangeburg Area
Largest Regional Employers
- US Department of Energy (Number One Employer in the State of SC)
- Aiken County Public Schools
- Shaw AREVA MOX Services - Nuclear energy production.
- Savannah River Nuclear Solutions - includes Savannah River National Laboratory - Under US Dept. of Energy as well.
- Kimberly-Clark Corporation - Manufacturing
- Aiken Regional Medical Centers
- County of Aiken
- Washington Savannah River Company
- Advanced Glassfiber Yarn - Manufacturing
- Bridgestone America's Tire Operations, LLC - Manufacturing
- Shaw Industries - Manufacturing
- Owens-Corning - Manufacturing
- Dixie-Narco, Inc.
- Carlisle Tire and Wheel
- ASCO/Emerson Electric
Top 10 Fastest Growing Jobs
- Retail Salespersons
- Store Managers
- Outside Sales Representatives
- Truck Drivers: Semis, Heavy Trucks
- General/Operations Managers
- Maintenance and Repair
- Team Assemblers
- Registered Nurses (RNs); LPNs, Support Staff
- Home Health Aides (HHAs) and Home Care Aides
Additional Faster Growing Jobs in Aiken - Orangeburg Area
- Truck Drivers, Light Trucks and Delivery Services
- Mainstream Elementary School Teachers
- Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators
- Teacher's Assistants - Classrooms, K-12
Higher Education - Aiken SC/Augusta GA
- Aiken Technical College
- Augusta State University - Augusta GA
- Cambridge College - Augusta GA
- Children's Medical College - Augusta GA
- Clafin University
- Kennth Shuler's School of Cosmetology
- Orangeburg - Calhoon Tech
- Paine College - Augusta GA
- Savannah River College - Augusta GA
- Southern Methodist Unviersity - Orangeburg
- Summit Christian College - North Augusta SC
- University of South Carolina Aiken
- University of Georgia - Savannah River Ecology Studies
- Utah Valley State College - Aiken
© 2009 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
The Top 15 Fastest-Growing Oklahoma Jobs include occupations in the Transportation Industry, Healthcare Industry and Information Technology (IT).
Fast-growth jobs in the Greater Dallas Area abound in Information Technology (IT) as well as in Healthcare, the Aerospace Industry, Education, Audio-Visual Collections, and Bus Drivers. Green Industries also offer...
After much hard work in writing countless resumes, cover letters, and job applications, employment candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. We can help with the information in...