Alaska Jobs Increase in Finance, Medical and Tourism
Economic Development Planned Through 2022
Economic Well Being in Alaska
Alaska enjoys jobs listings across the state that number between 9,000 - 10,000 consistently month to month. This has been true from 2010 - 2016. Green businesses and sustainability form a large chunk of the growing economy.
The major Alaskan job clusters of fast-growing jobs among sustainability and green businesses are found in these important industries:
- Medical and Healthcare,
- Financial Products and Services,
- Information Technology (IT) and
- Hospitality & Tourism.
Other High Demand Jobs
- Truck, Drivers with CDL,
- Securities and Commodities Agents,
- Personal & Home Aides,
- Computer Software Applications Engineers,
- Medical and Dental Assistants
- Home Health Aides,
- Accommodations Desk Clerks, Hotel Food and Beverage Workers, and other.
Alaskan Waterways Jobs
Alaska and nearby Canadian Provinces like British Columbia with Vancouver Island and other Northwest Pacific islands are enjoying an increase in demand for Cruise Ship jobs. Canada contains natural beauty and wide open spaces on land and on water all over the nation.
Commercial fishing and trucking demands have been examined in Canada and at sea in Cable TV series such as Ice Road Truckers, Highway Through Hell, and Most Dangerous Catch.
Alaska North Slope Jobs: Commercial Fishing
Major Alaskan Employers Listing Job Openings
- Nana Regional Corporation, owned by Native Alaskans
- Barr Nunn Transport - Trucking
- C.R. England Trucking
- Providence Health & Services
- Roehl Trucking
- Yukon Health System
- HDR - A global engineering, architecture, planning and consulting firm.
- University of Alaska and Medical/Health Center
- Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium
- Soliant Health Services
Alaska Is a Good Place For Spacecraft Launch
Alaska is the home to a large privately held Spaceport operated by Alaska Aerospace Corporation, one of a dozen in America and the only one at sufficiently high a latitude to reduce travel time to the International Space Station to six hours. This Spaceport will be instrumental in competing with Russian spacecraft launched from high latitude in Kazakhstan.
Alaska Aerospace Corp., Southwest of Anchorage
America's only high latitude full service Spaceport -- sub-orbital and orbital space launch vehicles owned/operated by Alaska Aerospace Corp.
Kodiak Launch Site
Time To Employee Alaska Spaceport More Fully
- NASA Space Taxis Eliminate Need For Russian Space Shuttle
Can the Russian Space Agency really block America from the International Space Station when the USA has three space taxi companies of its own?
- United States Spaceports Open To The Public
Aerospace business offers free public access telescopes, asteroid mining, tourism, space medicine . Fully 12 spaceports operate in USA, with 1 in Canada. and a private spaceport going up in Texas.
High Demand Jobs In Alaska
Fastest Growing Jobs to 2022
The State of Alaska lists these jobs as highest-growth, all of them in the Healthcare Industry:
- Medical and Health Services Managers
- Aerospace Engineers
- Financial Analysts and Examiners
- Administrative Service Managers
- Engineering Technicians
- Health Educators and Healthcare Social Workers
- Bio-Scientists and Life Scientists
- Truck Drivers, CDL
- Home Health Aides (HHAs) - One of the highest growing jobs in America and Canada.
- Physicians and Healthcare Technicians
Highest Demand Jobs Advertised
Top 20 Private Companies In Alaska
The following companies maintain the largest employee populations in the state:
- Providence Health
- Fred Meyer
- Wal-Mart/Sam's Club
- Trident Seafoods
- ASRC Energy Services
- BP Exploration Alaska
- CH2MHILL (VECO)
- NANA Management Services
- Alaska Airlines
- Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium (ANTHC)
- GCI Communications
- Banner Health (with Faribanks Memorial Hospital)
- Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corporation
- Southcentral Foundation
- Wells Fargo
- Alaska USA Federal Credit Union
- Spenard Builders Supply
"Hall of Governors" in Alaska's State Capitol, Juneau
Profiles of Selected Large Employers
Important Employment and Business Information:
- Alaska Airlines and its sister carrier, Horizon Air, together provide passenger and cargo service to more than 80 cities in Alaska, the Lower 48, Canada, and Mexico.
- Trident Seafoods- The seafood industry is one of the most fast-paced, dynamic industries in the world. With their recent growth there's never been a better time to join the Trident team than right now.
- ASRC Energy Service is an engineering, construction, project management, maintenance and operations company that specializes in energy and industrial projects. Investigate at asrcenergy.com/careers.
- Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium, offers statewide services in specialty medical care, water and sanitation, community health and research, information technology, and professional recruiting.
- Alaska Regional Hospital is committed to using superior medical technology and expertise, while providing a full range of health care services in Alaska. See alaskaregional.com.
- Southcentral Foundation is an Alaska Native non-profit health corporation formed under the tribal authority of Cook Inlet Region, Incorporated (CIRI).
- As Alaska's largest building materials supplier and home improvement center,Spenard Builders Supply has employment opportunities in many fields, including retail sales, contractor sales, manufacturing, purchasing, delivery drivers, office staff and other areas.
- Alyeska Pipeline Service Company operates and maintains the 800-mile Trans Alaska Pipeline System. Almost 900 employees work in Anchorage, Fairbanks, Valdez and field locations along the pipeline.
- Conoco Phillips is an international, integrated energy company. The projects we have under way and the ones we're pursuing translate into greater, more diversified career opportunities for our employees.
Higher Education in Alaska
- Alaska Bible College: Glennallen
- Alaska Bible Institute: Homer (non-denominational)
- Alaska Pacific University: Anchorage. Some distance education courses are available as well.
- Alaska Vocational Technical Center: Seward
- Ilisagvik College: North Slope
- Sheldon Jackson College: Oldest college in Alaska, founded in the late 1800s on Baranof Island in Sitka as a private, four-year Presbyterian liberal arts college. on 02/01/2011, the 40-year-old Sitka Fine Arts Camp that serves 500 youth each summer accepted the college campus as a gift from the closing institution. The campus retains the name Sheldon Jackson to honor the founder and is being recognized as a US National Historic Place.
Sitka Fine Arts Camp
University of Alaska System
- University of Alaska: Anchorage
- Chugiak-Eagle River
- Kenai Peninsula College
- Kodiak College
- Matanuska-Susitna College
- Prince William Sound Community College
University of Alaska: Fairbanks
- Bristol Bay Campus
- Kuskokwim Campus
- Northwest Campus
- Chukchi Campus
- Interior-Aleutians Campus
- College of Rural and Community Development
- Tanana Valley Campus
University of Alaska: Juneau
- University of the Arctic: a network of academic institutions and programs in the circumpolar North
- Wayland Baptist University: Anchorage, Fairbanks
© 2007 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Phoenix lost many jobs in the Recession of 2008 -2010, but began to recover during 3rd Quarter 2011. With a job surge in 2012, Phoenix enters 2013 with the most on-seasonal new jobs created in the local market for some...
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!
Do you want to take advantage of financial benefits (lower taxes, business tax credits, in-state college tuition, etc.) by establishing residency in another US state? Here's what to do.