The Chicken Whisperer's Home, Alpharetta GA - The Best Place to Move in America
- The Chicken Whisperer
If you keep chickens at home or would like to, then The Chicken Whisperer is for you.
Alpharetta, Georgia is at the top of the list of the 25 Best Places to Move in America, as determined by analysts at Forbes.com in 2009 and is still a Best City. Good evidence is that most of its residents - 70% - have moved to Alpharetta from either out of state or out of the country.
Just slightly over 20 miles south of Atlanta, greater Alpharetta in Fulton County houses a total of over 65,000 residents - almost double what it was in the 2000 US Census. In June 2009, the Unemployment Rate of 7,4% was over 2 points below the national average, and positive job growth was evident in Alpharetta.
What brings people to Alpharetta?
- Between 1980 and 2007, new construction brought the total number of housing units from only 1,116 up to to 20,427.
- The North Point Mall opened in 1993 and over 3,000 businesses started up between 1993 - 2009, about 16 years. This produced tremendous local population growth and retail trade from around the metro area and even out of state..
- A total of over 120,000 workers are employed in Alpharetta in 2009 - almost triple the residential population.
- In the late 2000s, USA Today and Yahoo! Internet Life published information that Alpharetta is a leading city for Technologies. It is located near Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport for easy access and shipping, and close to technology-focused research universities.
- A Small Business Development Center (SBDC) operates under the supervision of the University of Georgia and offers effective business and economic development aide to business start ups.
A major commercial industry helped to grow Alpharetta, the Number 1 Place to Move, quickly - The North Point Mall,followed by the rise of technologies. At Number 18 in this Forbes.com list, Dublin, Ohio exploded in business and population much the same way, all centered around Muirfield Village Golf Club and it's surrounding community of upscale housing, which led to additional new businesses.
Sacred Harp Singing In Georgia
Sacred Harp Singers typically sit in a hollow square forming one of four voice parts on each side of the square, with the singers facing inwards so they can see and hear each other as they sing the powerful old songs that shape note singing.
- Alpharetta Farmers Market
Weekly Farmers Market in Alpharetta, Georgia with fresh fruits, vegetables, flowers, and edible home goods.
- Alpharetta Historical Society - Alpharetta (old Milton County), Georgia
The Alpharetta Historical Society collects, assembles, preserves, and disseminates historical and genealogical information related to Alpharetta and old Milton County (Georgia).
- Circa History Guild
- North Point Mall
Just off GA 400 between exits 8 (Mansell Road) and 9 (Haynes Bridge) lies the area's newest mall with over 1.3 million square feet inside and many retail and dining spots along North Point Parkway. Two movie theatre complexes and an ice and roller sk
Visit Alpharetta's Famous Chicken Whisperer
- The Chicken Whisperer Recommends Backyard Chicken Keeping
Andy Schneider has become famous in his own Alpharetta, Georgia as well as throughout the United States. As an advocate for human chicken raising and egg production, he promotes the concept of fewer chicken...
Economy 1858 - 2010s
The beginning of Alpharetta is traced back to the forced resettlement of the Cherokee Nation circa 1830. After the Native Americans were removed from their homelands by the US Federal Government, the promise of “free land” to new settlers was overwhelming. These settlers won parcels of land in local lotteries.
A Methodist Campground was formed on the site of what is now Alpharetta in order to hold church camp meetings next to a naturally occurring spring. This was a traditional annual happening in the 1830s, offering a church revival, connected activities, social events, and increase in business for local proprietors. Some churches today still hold camp meetings, though perhaps not for as long a duration as the old events.
Population, farming, and other businesses increased to the point that Alpharetta became a town at the end of 1858, supported by a large menu of taxes. The city was damaged by fires during the Civil War, but Alpharetta was not supported by the plantation and slave system, so their reconstruction after the war was less time consuming and the economy bounced back more quickly than in other parts of Georgia.
During The Great Depression, Alpharetta and surrounding Milton County merged with Fulton County to reduce government costs, highways were built though the new county, and Alpharetta continued to expand and develop throughout the 20th Century. The North Point Mall was the boost in 1993 that created the most economic ramifications into the 21st Century, resulting in the overwhelming growth created in the metro area today.
Higher Education In Alpharetta
Location of Jobs
The Alpharetta Metro Area offers many openings in Accounting, Sales, Healthcare, with a number of Post-Doc Fellowships.
Tourism is a significant source of income for Alpharetta, owing to historical installations around the area, Civil War significance, Native American history, North Point Mall, over 100 restaurnats, and heavy daily traffic in and out of the city (only about 20 miles from Atlanta).
Top 15 Job Listings in Alpharetta
Most job listings are occurring for:
- Senior Accountants
- Staff Accountant
- Senior Cost Accountant
- Virtual Direct Selling Expo Jobs
- Billing Analysts
- Tax Analysts
- Physical Therapists
- Post-Doc Fellows (higher education, work experience past the doctoral degree)
- Sales Managers
- Sales Representatives
- Staff Accountants
- Accounting Managers
- Merchandising Reps
- Occupational Therapists
Additional large numbers of these employees are in demand:
- Nurses (RNs) -- includes the lucrative field of Travel Nursing and other travelers.
- Account Executives
- Shift Leaders - Food Service and other.
- Sales Associates/Salespersons
- Customer Service Reps
Top 15 Employers Listing Job Openings
- Ajilon Professional Staffing
- Time Warner
- McKesson Provider Technologies
- Tenet Healthcare
- PTRS - Physical and occupational therapy jobs
- Home Depot
- Dekalb Medical
- Staffpointe Health Search
- Energy Placement
- Northside Hospital
- UHS-Pruitt Corporation
Additional employers with sizeable numbers of job openings:
- E*TRADE Group
- Adecco E&T
- Primus Software
- Verizon Wireless
- Travelers Insurance
- ASAP Staffing LLC
Occupations Projected to Offer the Most Openings to 2016
- Customer Service Reps
- Retail Salespersons
- Food Prep & Service
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Manual Laborers and Freight/Material Movers
- Office Clerks
- General and Operations Managers
- Janitors and Cleaners, excluding Housekeepers
Top 15 Projected Fast-Growing Jobs to 2016
State labor officials forecast the following occupations to provide the highest numbers of job opening in and around Alpharetta and Atlanta to 2016:
- Dental Laboratory Technicians
- Telecommunications Equipment Installers/Repairers
- Marriage and Family Counselors
- Biomedical Engineers
- Elevator Installers/Repairers
- Cardiovascular Techs
- Respiratory Therapists
- Occupational Health and Safety Technicians
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts
- Surgical Technologists
- Radiation Therapists
- Postsecondary Education Teachers
- Industrial Engineers
- Postsecondary Computer Science Teachers
- Personal and Home Care Aides
More by this Author
Do you want to take advantage of financial benefits (lower taxes, business tax credits, in-state college tuition, etc.) by establishing residency in another US state? Here's what to do.
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!
After much hard work in writing countless resumes, cover letters, and job applications, employment candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. We can help with the information in...