Bakersfield, California: Construction & Finance
Bakersfield grew up around a field owned by a Colonel Baker in 1858 - 1859. Settlers came through, spent some time, and helped the colonel build the town in Kern County. They found oil in Kern County as well, but other industries have taken over this area. Famous for scientific agriculture and aerospace businesses, Kern County provides food crops and fibers to the wntire US and several overseas countries.
The county has experienced significant growth in its warehousing & distribution centers, its financial products purveyanhce, and its manufacturers, because it is a healthy railroading hub for easy transit and freight shipping.
Several large organizations, including the most popular IKEA and Target, as well as harward chains have located major distribution centers in Bakersfield and Kern County.
Further, State Farm Insurance placed has California Regional Offices in the metro area to high profitability. High-tech computer aviation and cutting edge manufacturering processes have helped to diversify the local economy and keep it growing.
- Bakersfield Jobs in Contruction
- Financial Advisor jobs - Bakersfield
- Nursing, Physician, Other Medical jobs in Bakersfield
Bakersfield California Recommendations
Job Listings and Employment Trends
For comparison with projected high-growth jobs listed below, local job listings offer the following frequently listed positions:
- Truck Drivers with CDL
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Store Managers and Salespeople
- Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVNs)
- Health Insurance Sales Jobs
- IT Engineers, Analysts, Managers and Specialists
- Physical Therapists and Occupational Therapists
- Patient Care Techs
- Dining Services - Casual Dining and Fast Food Managers and Crew
Top Employers Listing Jobs
- Bakersfield Memorial Hospital
- CR England Trucking
- Gordon Trucking
- Ameriplan - Insurance Sales
- Swift Transportation - Trucking
- Mercy Hospital Bakersfield
- Dollar General
- Sears Holdings
- Celadon Trucking
- Schneider Trucking
Local InterestClick thumbnail to view full-size
Top 10 Jobs in Kern County
Top High-Growth Industries projected for Bakersfield and Kern County by federal, state, and local government agencies.
- Financial Activities
- Wholesale Trade
- Transportation, Warehousing & Utilities
- Leisure & Hospitality
- Education & Health Services
- Retail Trade
- Professional and Business Services
Top 10 Projected High Demand Jobs
Except for Home Heal;th Aides, this Top 10 List is made up totally of construction jobs that require apprenticeships, OJT, and/or certificate training.
- Cement Masons and Concrete Finishers
- Home Health Aides
- Cost Estimators
- Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters
- Brickmasons and Blockmasons
- Operating Engineers and Other Construction Equipment Operators
- Construction Manager
The Next 10 highest in-demand jobs are Construction, Computer/IT and Health related:
- Floor Layers, Except Carpet, Wood, and Hard Tiles
- Plasterers and Stucco Masons
- Computer Software Engineers, Applications
- First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Construction Trades and Extraction Workers
- Construction Laborers
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Painters, Construction and Maintenance
- Medical Assistants
- Network and Computer Systems Administrators
- The Bakersfield Speedway: weekly World of Outlaws races.
- Kern County, Home of NASCAR: Kern River Speedway
- March Meet Drag Race, Famoso Drag Strip.
- California Hot Rod Reunion.
- Baseball: Bakersfield Blaze - Sam Lynn Ballpark
- Basketball: Bakersfield Jaml
- Football: Bakersfield College Renegades Football and Bakersfield High School Football
- Hockey: Bakersfield Condors
- Soccer: Bakersfield Brigade at Bakersfield Christian High School
- Bakersfield Centennial Garden or Rabobank Arena Theater & Convention Center - known by both names, the arena sits on the originial site of Colonol Baker's field in which settlers spent some time in 1858 - 1859, when Baker created plans for the town.
- The Dome - Boxing, Kickboxing, Professional Wrestling.
- Ice Sports Center - Hockey.
- Kern County Soccer Park.
- McMurtrey Aquatic Center - Olympic-sized swimming pool
- Golfing Tours: Ben Hogan Tour, Nike Tour, PGA qualifying events, and NCAA Div. II regional tourneys.
One of America's Best Schools for 2008, named by US News & World Reports. In the top 100 Western US schools.
Bakersfield College - Distance Learning - Online Courses
Fresno Pacific University Bakersfield Center
San Joaquin Valley College at Bakersfield
University of La Verne
University of California at Merced
American Indian Health Project Bakersfield
Native American health and business is improving in kern County as attention is given to wellness and prevention programs and literacy. Dying tribal languages in Kern County are supported by such programs.
One Native American, a Mr. Jim Andreas was sicovered in the 2000s to be the last known speaker of Pakaanil, the language of the Tubatulabal nation in the Kern River Valley. Owens Valley Career Development Center funded a grant for a Native language center in Kern County, where Native Americans are learning and spreading Pakaanii.
Other Health & Business Links:
- Carrizo Plain National Monument
- Urban Indian Health Programs Profiles and Contacts
- Walter Stiern Library - California State University Bakersfield
Standing Bear Pow Wow
This annual event is held at the end of May during Memorial Day Weekend each year at the Kern County Fairgrounds. The Hispanic circus, Circo Hermanos Caballero, often performs as as well.
1801 Panorama Dr.; Bakersfield, CA 93305
Kern County Fairgrounds
More by this Author
Healthcare jobs and resort-hotels are expanding in Oregon, including among Native American Nations. Non-tribal businesses are enjoying an expanding economy and tourism is increasing.
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!
Since 2010, news from BLOOMBERG BUSINESSWEEK has been that Canada and Australia were little touched by The Great Recession. New jobs continue to increase.