Benefits from Working from Home
Types of Work From Home Jobs
Almost anything can be done from home. These jobs can be an extension of standard businesses where you are working for them virtually, or you could be a small business owner.
- Project manager
- Party planner
- Any business that can be run out of your home
The Most Known Benefits
There are several benefits that almost everyone knows about when it comes to working from home. Articles and books have been written about them. Speakers make millions talking about them.
- No commute time – You don’t have to get up at four in the morning to get to work by six o’clock. If you work from home, you can wait until 5:55 if you want. There is no time needed to be allotted to getting dressed or making it a big logistical deal to get everyone in the shower and out the door in a timely manner. You can take as long as you need.
- Clothing – For many, working from home can mean working in their pajamas. Even if you have to wear more than that, most wear more casual clothes than if they were in the office. You don’t have to spend all that money on nice dress shoes, shocks, hose, or outfits that fit in with the industry you are working in. You’d be surprised how much that can save your pocket book.
- Fewer work distractions – If you work in an office, think of how many times you get interrupted and can’t finish your work. When you work from home, you don’t have those type of interruptions. There are all new distractions but we won’t go there in this article. It is the office distractions you want have like being pulled into unnecessary meetings you were invited to only because they wanted to make sure they didn’t leave anyone out or the office gossip who just wants to find out more of what is going on and share what they know.
- Flexibility – When you work from home, generally you can be very flexible. This depends on what kind of job you are doing from home. Standard office type work allows you to quickly run to pick up a sick kid or go the doctor’s office without missing too much work like you would have to if you were working in a standard office. You can let the dog out and rotate laundry while at the same time not missing a beat with your work. Shoot, you can be sick as well and continue working depending on what kind of sickness you have.
These are the benefits most often quoted by those who have worked from home. With no commuting, you save time and money. With no need to buy business clothes, you save money and are comfortable. With fewer distractions, you are productive. With flexibility, your entire life benefits from working from home.
Now what benefits are there beyond this?
Benefits You Don’t Think Of
There probably are many benefits no one ever really things of at first. Some are individualized and only pertains to specific individuals with unique needs, but they are there. You just have to stop and look. Most people don't realize they exist until they personally experience them. It might be something small to one person but big to another person. You have to weigh which of the benefits are most important to you. This list could probably be pages long if we had all the benefits people have discovered as they ventured into the world of working from home.
Do You Work From Home?
Do You Work From Home?See results without voting
For me, this was a huge factor. I don’t know about you, but working at the office there is always some unhealthy food nearby as someone brings in cookies, cakes, and donuts on a regular basis. You can’t help but eat them. They are there for your enjoyment. It would be rude, right? But it can kill you in the end, sometimes literally. Working from home, you get to eat healthier if you plan right and keep the right foods around. Only you then can influence what you eat. Plus, you are not eating out a lot which saves you money and keeps you healthy. Very little in the way of fast food is really healthy. Another thing to consider under this topic is how it can help you working from home if you have unique medical conditions. Are you diabetic? Working from home might be easier as you can make sure to take your meds on time without worrying about being in a meeting. Have to run to the bathroom a lot due to physical problems? No worries. You work from home so it is not detrimental to your job.
Work Environment for You
What you don’t realize is that you get to create a work environment that is perfect for you. Sick of the noise at work? You can have complete quiet at home when everyone is gone. Like to play heavy metal while you work? That wouldn’t go so well in the office, but working from home, who cares? You can play whatever music you want. You can have candles lit while at work that is banned. Create the perfect work environment for you and find your productivity increasing. When I began working from home, I could have the TV on the background while not really watching it, have music on that I like as loud as I like it, and have potpourri or candles giving me relaxation.
Did you know there are tax benefits from working from home? Now, always talk to your tax professional as laws do change, and it can depend on what you are doing from home and the setup with your company. If you are telecommuting, you can deduct certain things in regard to your work that you wouldn’t be able to otherwise. The same can be said if you are a business owner working out of your home. Do you have a space solely dedicated to your work? It cannot be a spare bedroom with a bed in it. It has to be an office or room just for your work you are doing from home. If you do, then you can take the percentage that space is of your entire home and apply that percentage to utilities, mortgage/rent, property taxes, etc., and deduct those amounts as business expenses. Again, talk to your tax guy.
Quality Family Time
If you manage your time right, you'll find yourself having more quality family time. You won't be on the clock of someone else so you can take time off to go to the park and games. Take advantage of that. You could easily become a workaholic when you work from home. Condition yourself to take the time to spend it with the family and grow closer to them.
Steps Toward Entrepreneurship
Working from home as a telecommuter can be a great way to start making your way to starting your own business. You’ll get a feel for what it is like to work in the new environment and how it can be adapted to a business of your own. I’ve known many who had so much more time on their hands because they were more efficient that they were able to start side businesses that grew into ones so big they could quit their full-time job and focus on their own personal business they started out of their home.
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE18
Most people think that if you are an accountant then you must be a math genius. You must be able to calculate any number in your head. You must take years of math. They couldn’t be more wrong. Accounting is not...
I quit my job despite the economy and set out to fulfill a dream. This is the first half of the story.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE120
Choosing the ten most important events in history is one of the most difficult and controversial things to do. I’ve attempted to create a list of major events that shaped the world.