Best Entry-Level Jobs and Careers in Massachusetts
Labor Markets Recovering After a Recession
The Massachusetts Labor and Workforce Development agency reports that they produced employment projections for the decade 2008 - 2018 based on 700 occupations and 150 industries active in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.This undoubtedly includes entry level employment, internships, and some fellowships that new college and university graduates in the state will find attractive. These projections form a starting point for career planning and job search for these individuals, all of whom should begin early in the last year of schooling or before.
Such employment projections are completed at the state and federal levels biennially and occasionally each year in some states or counties in order to encompass market changes. For example, after the final US Space Shuttle flight in July 2011, the privatized space flight sector boomed and many people (as of January 1012) booked short-term flights into outer space at the cost of $200,000 each. That sounds high-cost, but the price has reduced from a higher rate of $millions. Space related Manufacturing, Tourism, IT and other jobs began increasing into 2012 with expectations of upsurges until mid-century.
A third example is the Sears company, that increased jobs, especially in Canada related to jewelry in 2011, and then began to close Sears and K-Mart units in 2012. The market can change abruptly. Therefore, employment projections are adjusted biennially rather than once every 10 years.
Best Career Paths
AS shown in the following materials below, careers in Massachusetts are most successful in several specific metropolitan areas pinned on the map and in specific industries.
The industries operating in Massachusetts that are showing the most growth from 2010 - 2012 and expected to continue the highest growth rates to 2018 or later include:
- Biological and Medical Sciences
- Healthcare-related Industries - Human and animal.
- Insurance and Finance
- IT and Computer Information Science
During the senior year of college or final year of graduate or professional school, job candidates should contact the companies and agencies listed below to arrange for Internships, Fellowships, and Full-Time employment in lucrative and interesting career fields. New graduates with Associates Degrees can also find entry-level employment at some of these organizations.
Metro Areas Offering Most Jobs for New Grads 2012 - 2018
Suggested Careers to Begin 2008 - 2018
The fastest growing careers expected in Massachusetts, growing by the highest percentage between 2008 and to 2018, include the following list. Some consolidating has been done:
- Biomedical Engineers - Over 72% growth
- Biochemists and Biophysics - Over 50% growth
- Medical Scientists, all but Epidemiologists
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts
- Home Health Aides (HHAs) and related - This is a lower-wage entry level position that requires only short-term training or certification, but can become a stepping stone to healthcare professions of Nurse, Nurse Practitioner, Medical Assistant, and Physician.
- Veterinary Techs and Veterinarians
- Financial Examiners
- Skin Car Specialists
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Ship and Boat Captains and Crew
- Some Compliance Officers
- Medical/Physician and Dental Assistants
- Dental Hygienists
- CIS Research Scientists - Computers/IT
- Software Engineers, all types
- Fitness Trainers and Physical Therapy Assistants
- Self Enrichment Teachers
- Surgical Techs
- Environmental Scientists, Specialists and Engineers - Over 20% growth
Additional higher-growth opportunities:
SNAPSHOT: Jobs Available Spring 2013
In January, Indeed.com and SimplyHired.com displayed a large difference in numbers of jobs listed in Massachusetts, even though they both scour the Internet to pick up all job listings. A good idea is always to check both search engines, since they also offer different useful features. For example, the first offers specific locations-specific breakdown within a search and the second one features specific searches for New Graduates, Veteran-Friendly, Over 50, etc.
The Top Jobs of interest to New Grads among 65,000 jobs available to them in this snapshot are in the following list. BOLD titles are also targeted in Top Job Projections 2008 - 2018.
- Internships - Numerous fields of work: finance, medical, sales, sciences, and many more.
- Dental Assistants
- Registered Nurses (RN license)
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Shift Supervisors - Various fields
- Assistant Managers - Various fields
- Oral Surgeon Assistants
- Sales Representatives
- Project Managers - IT
- General Managers - Various fields
- Research Assistants
These present plenty of choices to the new college or graduate school graduate interest in starting a career in Massachusetts.
Companies to Contact
CVS/pharmacy, Staples, Kelly Services, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Tufts Medical Center,Robert Half Finance & Accounting US, Randstad Technologies, EMC Corporation, Harvard University, Advance Auto Parts, Liberty Mutual Insurance and Finance, Boston University, Advanced Medical, Southcoast Health System, Children's Hospital Boston, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Northeastern University, PETCO, Supplemental Health Care, LocumTenens.com.
- Companies: Intel, ISO New England, BBN Speech & Hearing Technologies, Liberty Mutual Insurance and Financial, Enterprise Rent-A-Car (Management Program), Mitre, Randstad, Ameriprise Financial, Scvngr ( SCVNGR is a Google-backed mobile gaming company in Cambridge, MA). See others at:
- Best Summer Job Internships
Internships are available throughout the year for Undergraduate and Graduate Students as well as recent graduates in many fields. This Hub offers a list of sites that provide vast numbers of such internships, along with some examples and video commen
- Different Kind of Internship: Career Mentorships w...
This activity combines a vacation with a mentorship and a really interested employer. Any adult 18 and older can do this.
- How to Find Internship Programs That Lead to Permane...
I was able to train a number of interns annually in office and healthcare related jobs with the help of already-trained interns hired longer-term. In addition during those years, my bosses,...
- Top 10 Summer Jobs for Adults and College Students
Colleges, Universities, Career Schools and Other
- Colleges and Universities in Massachusetts
Massachusetts colleges, universities and community college websites in Massachusetts (MA) and throughout North America. U101 College Search
More by this Author
Accounting is vital to every business and organization, as well as to the home and personal finance. This arcitle shows you why and how you can become involved in high paying accounting careers.
It is good to have a high school diploma or GED certificate, but sometimes you need to work before earning wither. In a number of states, Home Health Aide Training is a matter of only a few weeks and tuition is...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE243
If you watch CSI and CSI Miami on television, you are watching criminology at work. Criminology is an important science in the field of sociology that can help prevent future crimes and help prisons become...