Diversified Economy in Charlottesville, Virginia
Diversifed Economy In Virginia
Charlottesville is located in Albemarle County, Virginia and has ranked at Number Thirteen among the Top 30 Cities for Jobs in the US, as determined by the much-used job search engine CareerBuilder.com.
The Greater Charlottesville Area saw a significant population growth with a 21% increase in the 1990s and over 5% growth from 2000 - 2008 to create a population around 191,000 strong in the greater metro are and nearly 40,500 in the city proper. By Census2010, the figure had grown to 43,475, a nearly 10% increase in just two years.
Albemarle County is home to the near- largest manufacturing focus in the Virginia Piedmont Region. In addition to manufacturing, its economic diversity boasts a growing wine industry as well, covering hundreds of acres and growing.
The University of Virginia owns two research parks in the country, planned to enrich and increase relationships among the university and private sector.businesses as well as the local government jobs offices.
Revitalization is ongoing in Charlottesville's urban area. IN the early 1970s, the cities downtown pedestrian focused are was taken under governance by the Charlottesville Parks and Recreation Department.
Today, this urban area offers, business and living spaces that provide over 120 shops and 30 restaurants that are located in the Historic Sites in the Main Street Charlottesville area.
An ongoing program for registered US National Historic Places works hand in hand with revitalization and economic development programs here. Reconstruction and infrastructure additions continue to offer new jobs as well as to build new business spaces.
Important Community Based Organizations (CBOs)
- Charlottesville Democratic Committee
- Charlottesville Republican Committee
- Green Party of Virginia
- Miller Center of Public Affairs - The University of Virgina
- Thomas Jefferson Partnership for Economic Development
- Thomas Jefferson Soil and Water Conservation District
- Weed & Seed Network - Crime prevention focused upon weeding out illegal drug trade and abuse.
High Demand Jobs Expected to 2020
- Health Care and Social Assistance
- Professional and Scientific/Technical Services
- Education - K-12 and Postsecondary (college and vocational school level).
- Tourism - Accommodations, Food & Beverage Services.
- Retail Trade - Sales, supervisors and related jobs; especially within Tourism.
- Construction - New business construction, ongoing revitalization of urban and historical sites. Federal Infrastructure Projects add more jobs to this pool through 2012+.
- Admin., Waste Management and Remediation - recycling, additional green-collar jobs.
- Other Business Services (non-Govt)
- Management and Business Operations
- Information Technology (IT)
Fast Growing Jobs by Numbers of Annual Openings
- Healthcare Practitioners and Related Techs
- Health Practitioners - Diagnostic and treating.
- Office & Admin Support staff
- Food Prep & Service and Related jobs - all levels and types of establishments, including catering and fast food.
- Education and Library and related positions.
- Sales - Wholesale and retail sales and related jobs.
- Food and Beverage Serving Workers
- Business and Financial Operations
- Construction and Extraction
- Healthcare Support Occupations
Largest Area Employers
- University of Virgina - Over 12,000 employees and growing.
- The University of Virginia Medical and Health Sciences Center-- This is a major regional teaching & research hospital with a Level One Trauma Center and Medivac Helicopter. This facility in on the Top 100 List of Best Hospitals in the United States. (University of Virginia Health Sciences Center is located at 500 Ray C. Hunt Drive in Charlottesville, Virginia 22903)
- State Farm Insurance - 1500+ workers.
- Sperry Marine - Part of Northrop Grumman and in business for 50+ years with 1000+ employees locally. With HQ in centrally located Charlottesville, Sperry is a global supplier for navigation, communication, information, and automation systems for commercial naval and marine businesses. Sperry produces designs and technology navigation systems for surface ship platforms.
- US Army National Ground Intelligence Center
- GE Fanuc Automation Factory automation systems for manufacturing and production systems/processes. Functions as a partnership between General Electric Company and FANUC LTD of Japan. local employees work in engineering, systems integration, and manufacturing of electronic components. One of many operations located in the Americas, Asia, and Europe.
- Albemarle County Personnel Department
- Charlottesville Public Schools
- Crutchfield Corporation (electronics retail)
- Monticello - Thomas Jefferson's Home and National Historic Site.
- FIC Staff Services, Inc. - Temporary employment agency
- Martha Jefferson Hospital
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Biotage AB--Local HQ built in Charlottesville circa 1993 as part of a multi-national corporation. Biotage AB's global HQ is in Uppsala, Sweden. Products include genetic analysis and medicinal chemistry. The Discovery Chemistry Division of Biotage AB is located in the University of Virginia Research Park. its focus is the design and development of purification and separation systems for pharmaceutical businesses.
Thomas Jefferson's Menticello
Recent High Demand Job Listings
The highest demand jobs for this market area are the following.
- Research Associates at the University of Virginia
- Truck Drivers - Regional OTR (over the road), other
- Physicians and Technologists at Martha Jefferson Hospital
- Physical Therapists
- Registered Nurses (RN License)
- Research Scientists
- Assistant/Associate Professors
- Harris Teeter Jobs - Supermarket, all departments
- Taco Bell - Manager and Crew positions
- Food Lion - Supermarket jobs
- The total number of job listed in May 2012 was 4,800, but increased to 7,000 openings in February 2014 (almost double).
Research: University of Virgina - Gamma Knife Treatment
The position of Research Associate at the University of Virginia has moved into the highest demand position and Truck Driving positions have moved into the Number Two highest demand slot. In fact, three occupational titles in high demand at UV appear in the Top 10 List for May 2012, February 2014, and Summer 2015.
U of V Drumline
Vocational Education & Training
- Charlottesville-Albemarle Technical Education Center (CATEC)
- GED High School Equivalency Training
- Piedmont Technical Education Center
- Institute of Textile Technology
Colleges and Universities
- University of Virginia - see links under "Largest Employers" above.
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Germanna Community College
- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
- Mary Baldwin College
- Sweet Briar College
This metro area is also known for its educational programs and support for Homeschoolers and homeless youth and children.
The City of Charlottesville is a Green City that has planned for sustainability throughout the 21st century. The City Council has adopted the philosophy of the Native Americans of the regions in such planning, specifically:
'We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
The city is dedicated to climate protection and water conservation, recycling, composting, and Natural Gardening with native plants and organic methods where possible. The city also encourages citizens to think about the FOOD MILE - in other words, the social, economical, and environmental costs of importing food from abroad or long distances within America. Emphasis is placed on locally grown products.
An interesting green concept use din Charlottesville is the building of urban forests in order to cool down the inner-city heat that is caused by vehicle traffic and energy generation in urban areas with tall buiildings and extensive pavement.
Excessive heat claims more lives in the United States each year than hurricanes, lightning, tornadoes, floods, and earthquakes combined. Between 1979-1998... - Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
Greater Charlottesville Area
Sports and Recreation
- Charlottesville Sports & Social Club
- University of Virgina Cavaliers Athletics- Nicknamed the Wahoos and the Hoos by rivals. Job Paul Joans Arena.
Recreation Consists af a Vibrant Arts and Music Scene:
© 2009 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Fast-growth jobs in the Greater Dallas Area abound in Information Technology (IT) as well as in Healthcare, the Aerospace Industry, Education, Audio-Visual Collections, and Bus Drivers. Green Industries also offer...
The Top 15 Fastest-Growing Oklahoma Jobs include occupations in the Transportation Industry, Healthcare Industry and Information Technology (IT).
For a job interview, are you prepared to answer every crazy, impossible question without exposing your flaws? Prepare for your interview by reading these right answers to those very wrong questions.