College Towns Offer Recession-Proof Jobs
Smart Cities in America
Three Smartest Cities Lists attracted much attention on the Internet in the 2000s and into the 2010s.
The Money Magazine and Forbes.com lists consider cities in which the largest percentages of people possess a Bachelor's or higher college degree. The Beast has its own criteria for "smart," which differ from those of the first first two.
Another rationale to use for city intelligence is tied with economic growth and considers the number and quality of postsecondary educational facilities available in American cities. These include universities, colleges, tech schools, vocational schools, or career academies. The following is the Forbes.com list of Top 20 College Towns in the US and all of them have shown jobs growth in 2008 - 2009, in spite of a recession. These cities seem to be recession-proof.
- Provo Utah- Utah is a state that weathered the Recession of 2008 - 2009 better than many others, with increasing jobs and new successes at its universities and colleges. Provo is one if its successful college towns that has increased jobs during recession. Hot Jobs in Provo.
- Morgantown WV- This college town is home to the West Virginia University, the town's largest employer.. Visit a City review of the town and its economy and colleges at MORGANTOWN.
- Durham NC - Durham is not only a college town, but fast becoming a research and technology center, because of its proximity to the Research Triangle. The nearby City of Cary NC has moved up the ranks of good places to live for jobs and Raleigh is among the top best cities for work and life, honored by Money Magazine, Forbes.com, and others.
- Athens GA - Athens is just a bit too far from Atlanta to be considered a suburb, but lies in the same labor market, 50 miles to the northeast. It is another of the top college towns recognized by major companies and financial publications, especially for its University of Georgia and Piedmont University.
The Research Triangle
- Fargo ND - The metro area of Fargo-Moorhead has won several recognitions, include Top 20 College Town and Top 25 Places for Business and Jobs. A city review and job outlook are presented at the link.
- Hattieburg MS - This Mississippi city is also known as a top Retirement City and Adventure Town. The University of Southern Mississippi and several others helped this city increase jobs even during the recessionthat occurred in 2008 and 2009.
- Seattle WA- Seattle in the Pacific Northwest is a large metropolitan area that is an entrance way from the Far East and Vancouver Island, British Columbia. Diversity, history, culture, international flavor, and business are all attractions that are strengthened through the city's system of higher education. it may also be the smartest city in America.
- Baton Rouge LA - See Top 10 Hot Jobs in Baton Rouge for a review of the city with its colleges, universities, and career schools.
Las Cruces, New Mexico
- Las Cruces NM - Las Cruces is one of the most friendly and interesting cities I have met while doing research on opportunities for jobs, career planning, education, relocation, and retirenement. Visit the link and pick them up on Facebook. If you don't go there for a job, visit on vacation.
- College Station TX - Texas A&M University is the largest employer in this metro area of Byran and College Station in Central Texas, working with business and government in order to create opportunities for new businesses and additional jobs beyond the university.
- Charlottesville VA - Charlottesville is not only a top college town, but also a business center near American government installations in Washington DC.
- Tuscaloosa AL - Daimler is building a new plant in Tuscaloosa to produce Mercedes Benz vehicles and supply 1,000 individuals with jobs. A dozen colleges and universities in the city have spurred economic growth and new job creation.
Fort Collins Guides
- Iowa City IA - The University of Iowa draws many students to Iowa City every year and helps to create new jobs for the city and the state,.
- Auburn AL - Auburn University makes this a great college town and it's neighbor, Tuskegee University adds more than double the power in education and new job creation to this area of Alabama. Several other schools add value as well.
- Fort Collins CO- Fort Collins is home to Colorado State University, a partner in FortZED, the world's largest zero energy district. The university and a dozen other postsecondary institutions partner with business and government successfully, creating hundreds of green jobs in Energy, while Healthcare and IT join Retail in economic growth evident in Fort Collins.
- Oklahoma City OK - The University of Oklahoma is just one fo the local schools that helps make this college town this one of the Top 30 Best Cities for Jobs in America.
- Boulder CO- Boulder is not only its own great college town, but will also benefit from FortZED in recognized top college town Fort Collins (see entry above). Boulder will be using the renewable energy generated from the zero energy district project in Downtown Fort Collins Historic District.
- Albuquerque NM - This is a college town that students and their families love in the great Southwest USA. The state is dedicated to sustainability and this is reflected in local college programming. Colleges in town include Apollo College, The Art Center Design College, Albuquerque, International Institute of the Americas; ITT Technical Institute; Metropolitan College, National American University, Pima Medical Institute, Southwest Acupuncture College, and the University of Phoenix, and several career institutes.
- Jonesboro AK- Jonesboro is home to the Arkansas State University, which sponsors its own museum of local and state history. The town supports additional higher education facilities in career academies and technical institutes as well.
- San Jose CA- San Jose is a top college town that has increased jobs even during recession, In fact, after suffering job losses in 2008, the city via its businesses and universities increased that number back to 2008 levels in 2009. During 3rd and 4th Qtrs 2009, jobs continued to increase. Partnerships among facilities of higher learning and with business and government along with an effective transportation system aided this growth immensely, to the tune of over 41, 100 jobs open in December '09. High Demand Jobs in San Jose.
More by this Author
Beat the high cost of living by moving 3 miles away to Covington, Kentucky. The cost of living is lower and the commute is easy. Job listings for the combined cities more than doubled 2012 - 2013.
What is a Micro-City and why are these 10 so special for the future of North America?
Here are a number of methods for removing scratches from glass that have worked for many people. Some methods are better for certain types of glass than others.