Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Project by Travel Man #5 - Water Bonsai
My initial encounter with bonsai trees was during my childhood days. My second elder sister successfully grew a miniature orange tree.
My hubbing days prompted me to feature a hub regarding bonsai. It's been growing each day and I believe I can show you my fully mature bonsai tree after a year (with all the wiring and branches, etc.).
To remind you again about bonsai, let's have this short overview of its meaning and how it has been part of the Japanese culture.
The Japanese people is known for innovating nature's natural beauty. One of it is making miniature trees or the popularly known art of bonsai.
Now, Filipinos are not new to this kind of plant innovation. Small business entrepreneurs came up with the idea of altering the way bonsai is made.
Why not utilize the water as the base of the selected plants to be made as bonsai? Is it possible.
Yes, it is. In fact, water bonsai is growing as a home-based industry here in the Philippines. With the use of online business transactions via internet marketing, water bonsai pioneers are reaching Filipinos abroad and other enthusiasts and sell their products for as much as $20 dollars per plant.
In time, this will be a booming small-scale industry. The secret lies on the powder grower that the water bonsai pioneers are keeping the information sealed from the interested public.
As for me, I am concocting my own mix of powder grower that I can share here based on the experiment we used to do during my biology class in high school.
If you can still remember the portioning of the organic fertilizer we used as we water the control and experimental set-ups, then you can also based your DIY (Do-It-Yourself) project at home - WATER BONSAI!
Materials needed to make a Water Bonsai
- empty glass bottles/plastic bottles - Instead of selling it to the junk store, you can utilize empty bottles for water bonsai.
- Styrofoam - It will be used to seal the growing powder solution inside the bottle
- masking tape - to ensure no air will pass through the sealed bottle with the use of the styrofoam.
- powder grower - There are available powder grower at the local store, situated at the agriculture/farm section. You can ask the store clerk for the special powder plant grower, solely made by Mr. Edwin De La Torre of Global Water Bonsai Enterprise.
I can proudly say that it is a Filipino technology that was conceived by Mr. De La Torre in order to promote environmental awareness regarding the benefits of having indoor plants. Being an agriculturist and expert in botany, he was able to mix the right proportion of the powder grower.
How I made my Water Bonsai
- I used a typical glass bottle. I cleaned it well so that the water solution will be transparent.
- I experimented on the urine-water solution. We all know that human urine contains urea (an important form of organic fertilizer).
- I chose a cutting of one of my garden plants, like that in the picture.
- I secure its stem by passing it through the styrofoam and fitted it to the rim of the bottle.
- I used the masking tape to further secure my water bonsai.
Water Bonsai of Mr. Edwin dela Torre c/o MrMusicman1971
WATER BONSAI is now becoming a craze here in the Philippines.
The credit is given to Edwin dela Torre for the innovation that has been featured on the weekly program :Kabuhayang SWAK na SWAK c/o ABS-CBN Channel 2 last August 13, 2011.
Included in this hub is part of the footage of the show, wherein, Mr. dela Torre explained how he conceived the idea of using water and the powder grower instead of the typical selected soils for his bonsai.
He and his partners are able to help recycle empty bottles (both glass and plastic) and design it creatively, much to the amazement of the surprised buyers.
Benefits of having Water Bonsai inside your home
The most useful tip to make your water bonsai grow for a long time is to keep it away from direct sunlight.
You can always change it's location to maintain its glowing appearance. You can also add the following as reminder on its benefits in your life.
- natural humidifiers - Plants inside your room can soften the air by increasing the oxygen presence inside the house.
- congestion remedies - Plants clear congestion that you can experience due to colds or fever. Herbal plants are the most appropriate to be your companion inside your room.
- prevent allergies - Immunity to allergens will be improve by exposing yourself on water bonsai.
- air purifier - If a member in the family smokes inside the house, plants can filter chemicals in the air and purify it.
- improves health - Personally, plants inspire me. By just looking at them, I always felt relaxed after a days work, especially inside the house. It also makes us less stressful by appreciating its presence.
- pet alternative - If you don't have live pets at home, like dogs and cats or birds, plants are the most available thing to enjoy inside your room.
- improves sleep - The presence of water bonsai will never make my sleep difficult.
- removal of air contaminants -Aside from cigarette smoke, dust in the air and other contaminants will be lessened with the presence of plants inside the house.
With water bonsai, you will never need to buy plastic trees or flowers that can only contribute to your irritation if dust accumulates on its features.
Water Bonsai ExhibitClick thumbnail to view full-size
Water Bonsai - Global Water Bonsai Enterprise c/o waterbonsai
More Hubs on Bonsai
- Bonsai Basics
Bonsai gardening is the art of growing miniature versions of certain trees or plants. A bonsai tree is pruned and shaped over an extended period of time until it becomes a smaller replica of the original...
- The Different Types Of Bonsai Trees
The Bonsai Tree is an art form. It began in China around 200 A.D. as a hobby, but quickly spread throughout the Asian mainland as a commercial enterprise. Do the math Bonsais have been around for about...
- Bonsai Tree- History, Culture, Background
Bonsai tree has long and ancient history. As with most of the oriental arts, bonsai originated in China and then spread eastwards to Japan via Korea. The knowledge was spread by Buddhist monks. From ancient...
- Growing Bonsai Trees From Seed.
People have been cultivating bonsai trees for centuries to form ornamental gardens. When the art was in its infancy, it was generally seen as a pastime for the wealthy. Nowadays, if someone is going to try to...
- Bonsai - Small Tree With Big Impact
Small Tree With Big Impact Ever notice those small beautiful trees, planted in those unusual shaped pot. At times it would make you glance twice, thinking it was artificial and out of your curiosity you...
- Bonsai Tree Care: Bonsai Watering, Bonsai Feeding, B...
Bonsai tree care has always been steeped in mystery. Consequently, many myths and misconceptions have grown up over the years. One general misconception is that a bonsai tree is some special, genetically...
Guides to your DIY Projects
More on DIY Projects
- Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Project by Travel Man # 1 - Cem...
This is my Do-It-Yourself (DIY) project this June of 2011: Cementing the Pavement. It is a long overdue task that was hindered by occasional rain showers and unpredictable storms. I'm self-employed alright....
- Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Project by Travel Man #2 - Cutt...
Amid the drizzles of afternoon rain (June 16, 2011), I decided to go to our old home's location at the center of our rice fields. My dog, Brownie followed suit. Cutting the coconut tree was far from my mind. ...
- DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Project by Travel Man# 3 - Bons...
The Japanese people is known for innovating nature's natural beauty.One of it is making miniature trees or the popularly known art of bonsai. When I was at the Koyo Dockyard of Mihara city, way back the last weekend of March 2011 as may maiden...
- Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Project by Travel Man # 4 - Dra...
I've been requested by my cousin, (who's a principal of the elementary school at the next barangay in our town here in the Philippines) to do a blow-up illustration of the school site plan - including its main buildings and proposed edifices. Here's
- Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Project by Travel Man #5 - Wate...
Water Bonsai is the latest fad in home gardening. The beautiful twist is that you can grow the saplings of your choice inside your home due to a technology initiated by a Filipino inventor, Edwin dela Torre.
- Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Project by Travel Man #6 - How ...
Making personalized dyed t-shirt is fun. Here's how to earn a living by simply investing your skills and talent in designing dyed shirts at home.
More by this Author
Building a PreSchool Learning Center is a not-so-far-away dream of my friend, who's presently teaching a daycare center in Manila. Here's how she planned to acquire her own school building.
Quail is dubbed as 'pugo' here in the Philippines. Have you ever eaten, tokneneng or kwek-kwek? It is a flour-laced fried quail eggs, a kind of street food that favors the palate of Filipinos. How to raise quail at...
Ever heard of sweet rice cake? Perhaps not, when you're still not living here in the Philippines. Let me teach you on how to make this Filipino delicacy. Get ready with your sweet tooth.