Top 10 High Paying Careers in Dutchess County NY
Ace of Cakes
- Home - Charm City Cakes
Here at Charm City Cakes, we are motivated by constantly trying to outdo ourselves by making cakes that are beautiful, challenging, and as out-of-the-ordinary as possible!
Via the Culinary Institute of America in Duchess County
Insurance, Financial Products, and Technology
Just a little to the northeast of Rockland County, Dutchess County is another small New York country that has also gained a berth on the list of Top 25 Best Small Cities for Jobs and Business in America - in the Number 7 slot, as of 2007-2008.
Among other records, Dutchess County produces the largest number of certified chefs in the world from the Culinary Insitute of America in Hyde Park.
Vigor in the Financial Products & Services and Insurance Industries contribute substantially to the growng economic health of Dutchess County and new business ventures for 2008 in the area include:
- TD Banknorth's new branch office in Wappinger Falls with an opening in November 2008.
- Somerset Tire Service Inc. also opened a new retail outlet in Wappinger Falls, Summer 2008.
- Starbucks also opened a new cafe in Wappinger Falls in 08/2008.
- IBM is investing $1.6+ billion in Dutchess County in expansion projects for electronic chip manufacture and additional R&D projects. Further, New York State is providing these expansions with $140 million. This is providing several 1000 jobs immediately, through 2011 and beyond.
These four businesses alone are adding thousands of jobs to the area.
A History of Money and Success
With a population of over 300,000, Dutchess County contains several cities, the names of which are familiar to many Americans for their US historical significance highlighted in various chronicles of the new nation from its colonial beginnings: Poughkeepsie ("reed-covered lodge by land of the little water" and now the Dutchess County seat), Clinton, Dover, Fishkill and East Fishkill, Hyde Park, La Grange, Milan, Pawling, Red Hook, Stanford, and Wappingers(named for the Native Americans that explorer Henry Hudson met after 1609 as he sailed down the Hudson River.).
This county was named early on to honor Mary of Modena, who was the Duchess of York and later, England's Queen Mary and the second wife of King James II. In the Revolutionary War, the town of Fishkill hosted the military camp for General George Washington's soldiers and was capital of New York for a short time. Poughkeepsie was the state capital for a short while after 1788.
Later, Franklin D. Roosevelt and his wife Eleanor used Dutchess County as an experiment for their New Deal projects and how they would work. They spent much time in Hyde Park. Famous Presidential loser Thomas Dewey, from Pawling, ran against FDR in 1944, the only time two that two people from the same county ran against each other in the election. In addition, moneyed families like the wealthy Astors and Vanderbilts spent a lot of money and time in Dutchess County, even building vacation or resort homes, some of which are now tourist sites.
Top 10 Hot Jobs in Dutchess Country Thru 2016
- Computer Engineers & Technicians and Computer Parts Mfg Techs
- Financial Products & Services and Insurance Account Executives and Managers
- Sales & Sales Related Occupations
- Auto Repair and Maintenance Technicians
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Teachers K-12, including Special Education & Vocational and College Level Instructors and Professors
- Management Positions in many industries
- Secretaries, including Executive, Legal, and Medical
- Home Health Aides and Personal Care Assistants
- Food Preparation and Service Jobs in all levels of establishments
Dutchess Higher Education
Colleges and Vocational Institutes
- Bard College
- Culinary Institute of America
- Dutchess Community College
- Marist College
- Ridley-Lowell Business & Technical Institute
- Vassar College
Largest County Employers
- CH Energy Group
- Vassar Brothers Hospital
- Vassar College
- Saint Francis Hospital
- Marist College
- State of New York - Government
- Texaco – Gas and Oil
Dutchess County Job Links
Overview: Hudson River Valley
Tourism, Accomodations, and Hospitality Jobs
Tourism and related industries, including Retail Sales and to some extent, Medical Tourism, contribute a substantial portion of income to the county economy.
Eco-friendly, "green" tourism and recreation consists of the following venues:
- Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies - Tours, hikes, Friday Science Afternoon Seminars (open to the pubic), ecology summer camps for kids, and manymore green activities.
- Over 50 Farmer's Markets - Locally grown goods throughout the county.
- About two dozen Parks, including the 86-acre Edward R. Murrow Park in Pawling - Pawling.org
- Seven large Formal Gardens open to the public.
- Buttercup Farm Audubon Sanctuary - Includes 6 miles of hiking trails.
- Dutchess & Beyond Bicycle Club - In fact, there are several cycling clubs in the county.
- Stony Kill Farm Environmental Education Center - Located ona 1,000+ acre working fram in Wappinger Falls.
- Sports at Dutchess Stadium - Conservation conscious, recyclers. Home arena for the Hudson Valley Renegades minor league baseball (farm team for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays). In Wappingers Falls. HVRenegades.com
- River Cruises, Lake & River fishing, and sailing/water sports
- Horseback Riding and Shooting Clubs
- Wing's Castle - Going green! This is a Hudson River Valley stone castle built by artists Peter and Toni Wing. They used recycled building materials from antique buildings.
Anthony Bourdain - Pacific NW
CULINARY INSTITUTE OF AMERICA [CIA]
A number of the world's best and most recognized chefs have graduated from the Culinary Institute of America (CIA) , including many appearing on cable TV's Bravo Network and The Food Network.many of the instructors are winners in the Culinary Olympics held yearly in Germany.
Iron Chef America's Cat Cora, with her Greek and fusion type cuisine is one familiar name. The newest Iron Chef is also a CIA graduate - Michael Symon, from Cleveland. McDonald's even hires chefs from the CIA.
Cameron Micthell Restaurants? - Yes, he's from the CIA, as is Anthony Bourdain. Ace of Cake's Chef Duff is also a CIA graduate and owns Charm City Bakery. The Institute has produced top chefs for over 30 years from its HQ in Hyde Park to its Texas and California branches. Scholarships are available, so see the link above in the Job Linksbox. The Institute offers many features, including a large library, a computer center, and a video center.
Ace of Cake's Geoff & His Acoustic Guitar
Interview with Chef Duff
McDonald's Director of Culinary Innovation
Financial Products & Services
CIA of Food
More by this Author
Do you want to take advantage of financial benefits (lower taxes, business tax credits, in-state college tuition, etc.) by establishing residency in another US state? Here's what to do.
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!
Science fiction as a discipline has told us for decades that we can make replacement parts for human beings. In the 2010s, we began to accomplish this by 3D printing biological materials.