Exercising for the Money: Personal Trainer Salary
Personal trainer salary depends on the fitness professional’s ability to instruct and lead both groups and individuals in exercise activities such as aerobics, weightlifting or calisthenics.
These exercise experts may work in resorts, gyms, universities, health clubs or client homes. They can help clients assess their level of fitness, keep records of progress and advise on more nutritious eating habits.
© 2012 by Aurelio Locsin.
According to the American Council on Exercise, personal trainer salary depends on the type of teaching and certification.
- Group fitness instructors average $23.50 per hour or $47,659 per year full-time, and $24.49 per hour or $12,451 per year part-time, with a workweek of only 10.41 hours.
- Personal trainers make $25.71 per hour or $53,323 per year full-time, and $25.14 per hour or $18,650 per year for part-time work of 15.95 hours per week.
- With certifications like Advance Health and Fitness Specialist or Lifestyle and Weight Management Coach, full-time pay increases to $26.74 per hour or $55,771 per year. Part-time pay for 16.20 hours per week equals 26.23 hourly or $20,588 yearly.
Where the job is located in the country can also affect personal trainer salary as revealed by the following.
- The region with the highest salaries in general is the Northeast, where full-time group fitness instructors make $25.97 hourly and $52,767 yearly, and personal trainers make $29.15 per hour or $59,984 per year.
- However, advanced certifications pay more in the Southwest with full-time averages at $26.64 per hour or $57,431 per year.
- The Southwest also has the highest-paying part-time work. Group fitness instructors working 10.47 hours per week earn $26.30 per hour or $13,962 per year. Personal trainers working 16.10 hours per week get $28.44 per hour or $21,006 per year.
- For advanced certifications, the highest part-time pay is still the northeast, where 16.15 hours of work average $29.38 per hour or $24,159 per year.
Personal trainer salary also varies by education as follows.
- For those working full-time with high school diplomas, personal trainers earn $22.14 per hour or $45,516 per year. There’s insufficient data for group fitness instructors and those with advanced certifications.
- With bachelor’s degrees, group fitness instructors make $21.02 per hour or $43,746 per year full-time, personal trainers earn $24.42 per hour or $50,597 per year, and advanced certifications make $24.47 per hour or $51,428 per year.
- With a master’s degree, full-time group fitness instructors get $27.17 per hour or $54,137 per year, personal trainers average $31.77 per hour or $67,287 per year and advanced certifications bring $37.59 per hour or $78,382 per year.
Personal trainer salary also differs by job title as shown by the following full-time figures.
- Personal Trainers earn $21.42 per hour or $42,204 per year.
- Group Fitness Instructors make $17.16 per hour or $31,963 per year.
- Advanced Health and Fitness Specialists receive $23.58 per hour or $47,163 per year.
- Fitness Directors get $20.19 per hour or $41,921 per year.
- Pilates Instructors earn $24 per hour or $46,650 per year.
- Club Owners get $33.43 per hour or $80,382 per year.
- United States Department of Labor
Compiles information on employment in the USA.
- Accountant Salary Information | Accountant Salary Info
Accountant Salary Info. Discover the average accountant salary by position, industry and location. Special sections on CPA salary and accounting job prospects.
More by this Author
Find what the highest paid dental specialties are, and where they earn the most.
The highest paying physical scientist jobs in the USA belongs to physicists. Find out the job requirements and salaries.
Engineers apply theoretical knowledge of math and the physical sciences to create practical solutions for everyday problems. The following list shows the top 10 engineering disciplines that will add the most jobs,...