Free Online Courses and Certificates
Free Online Courses and Certificates
If there's one thing we increasingly need these days it's more education. The world is changing so fast around us that it's easy to get left behind. Maybe you work long hours, or perhaps you're geographically unable to participate in courses. Whatever the reason it's frustrating for you to not be able to learn new skills easily, or to undertake professional training or certification.
The Internet can help you participate in online classes, online courses, self-paced learning and even certification in some subjects.
Below are a selection of some great courses that you can do for free, online courses and certification that you can do in your own time, wherever you are - and without cost.
Some of these courses will hopefully be able to help you do any of:
- Get back into the modern workplace
- Build confidence
- Get IT certifications
- Take that next step up the career ladder
- Change career entirely
- Provide evidence to potential employers of your commitment to lifetime-learning
- Pursue your interests, or explore new areas
- Help you to start a new business, or generate a second income
... in short, to be more fulfilled, more able and more employable!
Who the heck is Alison? Well, ALISON is the world's leading provider of free online courses with certificates for basic and essential workplace skills.
Alison is a training organisation dedicated to bringing free learning and free education to people worldwide. The courses are high quality and can provide you with that all important certification, or as I call them "magic bits of paper" that get your resume read by employers.
Having an active and recent list of subjects you've studied will demonstrate to an employer that you're actively improving your skillset - and by taking courses relevant to the industry you wish to work, or progress, in you can stand head and shoulders above those who just never bothered.
The free online courses you can take with the Alison online learning system include:
- Digital Literacy and IT Skills: Enabling you to use computers and technology efficiently. Courses from complete beginners to advanced certification. Full Microsoft Office training, touch typing, using gmail - you choose from a huge range of free online courses.
- Diploma Courses: Professional level diplomas in a range of subjects including multimedia development, web development, business & entrepreneurial studies.
- Business and Enterprise Skills: Free project management courses and free business management courses. Ideal for that 'step up' the career ladder.
- Financial and Economic Literacy: From economics, to accountancy, these free financial and economic literacy courses and certification could help get you noticed for applications to enter the financial industry.
- Health & Safety Compliance: Occupational health and safety courses, office safety, fire safety, manual handling, Workstation Ergonomics (DSE) and managing health and safety in schools. The world of health and safety is immense (and a growing industry), offering great future jobs potential.
- Health Literacy: From basic biology courses to HIV/AIDS awareness. An ideal entry point if you're considering working in the healthcare industry.
- English Language Skills: English language training, business English, FCE Certification coming shortly.
- Personal Development & Soft Skills: Psychometric tests, basic study skills, touch typing, US Citizenship test preparation - and more.
- Schools Curriculum: Subjects covering the school curricula, ideal for current students or returners to education. Biology, mathematics, science and more.
Get a Certificate: All courses offer you the choice of receiving a printed certificate at the end, or not. Great to take to job interviews.
National Computer Science Academy
Free IT Certification courses are available online from the National Computer Science Academy. Choose from a range of popular subjects, within the areas of:
- Microsoft Windows
- Computer Hardware
- Microsoft Office
- Visual C++ Programming
- ... and many more
Whether you're looking to work in IT as a hardware engineer, or a web programmer, there's a free certification exam that'd be suitable to impress a potential employer with, or to help you change careers.
If you're not currently working, these courses will get you noticed as employers will see from your resume that you're interested and motivated.
The NCSA also develops relationships with large companies, inviting them to access their pool of certified professionals for any vacancies they might have. The NCSA also provides exam testing of candidates to these large employers, so there's a strong relationship there which you might benefit from.
Free IT Courses from Staff Kit
Staff Kit provide professional IT courses and IT certification programs, at very affordable rates - but they also have some free courses. A free course is great for a beginner, or for those working on a budget, but they're also a great way to test out companies to see if their learning style suits you and your needs.
The free online courses on offer are:
- Microsoft Access 2002
- Microsoft Excel 2002
- CompTIA A+ Certification, for PC engineers
- Microsoft MCSE Exam 70-215 - Installing, Configuring and Administering Microsoft Windows Server
- DHTML (Dynamic HTML)
- Project Management
A great opportunity to try either the subjects, or the company providing the training!
More in This Series of Free Courses and Free Learning:
- Free Writing Courses Online
If you're looking to earn a living as a writer, then why not enjoy these great free training courses. Find out where your talents lie. Whether you're writing for the web, or want to write your first bestselling novel, there's a course for you.
Free Writing Courses
I've previously written a list of free online writing courses, so rather than cover that again here, I'll refer you to my previous hub, which you'll find here:
Discover free writing courses for just about every type of writing you could wish to explore.
More Free Courses
As I find more free online courses and certification programs, I'll keep the list above updated and growing.
Please tell your friends about this list, we need to support these free training providers!
Thanks for reading - and good luck with your course.
Teenager with laptop, by Spree2010. Photo taken with a Canon EOS 30D camera.
More by this Author
You can learn Teeline shorthand in classes or at home, in your own time - it can make much more sense to teach yourself shorthand at home.
If you are learning shorthand, you'll need good shorthand pencils. On the face of it, it's just a notepad and a pen/pencil, but these are the tools of the experts and the right pencil gives you speed
New and existing market traders are always looking to find the best selling products for market stalls, in order to start up as a market trader, increase their existing turnover, or break out into new markets.