1950s Fast Food City - Best Attractions and Jobs in Fresno
Then First McDonald's Franchise
A Growing Economy
The City of Fresno, California is among the Top 25 Best Medium-Sized Cities in America for Jobs and Business, according to economic and business magazines like CNNMoney and Forbes.
A hallmark of a healthy, growing local economy is the fact that Employment Services rates Number Three in the Top 10 List of high-growth industries in the Fresno area. The services of employment professionals grow in demand when employers need employees for new positions created and replacement workers as well, and when new businesses open their doors. Construction on new commercial buildings is healthy in Fresno, indicating new offices and new places of business that will need employees in the near future.
High growth in Waste Management and Remediation Services (#4) illustrates the Fresno area's dedication to eco-friendly/sustainable services and waste reduction, as well as alternative energy sources.
The growth of Full-Service Restaurants (#7) in Fresno indicates an increase in discretionary spending among local residents and commuters, and helps to build the Tourism and Hospitality sector. New employees often use the services of restaurants and as numbers of employees increase in Fresno, restaurants should become busier and new restaurants should open.
Industry Growth through 2016 is projected at 44% at the #1 spot to 28% at the #10 slot.The top 10 industries for this metro area market are:
- Social Assistance
- State Government, Non-Education Sectors
- Employment Services - This is a sign of increasing economy, business, and jobs.
- Waste Management and Remediation Services
- State Government, all Departments
- Building, Development & General Contractors and Heavy Construction - This is a sign of growing populations, residential dwellings, and businesses.
- Full-Service Restaurants
- Specialty Trade Contractors
- Administrative and Support Services
- Private Education Services
City of Fresno - Population over Half a Million
Population Growth and Hot Weather
From 2012 to 2013, the population of the City of Fresno increased by over 3,200 people or 6.3% and while this is a healthy increase, the city is not crowded. The city is the fifth largest in the State of California, located in the central region of the state.
The weather includes hot summer days with some above 105° F, handled by the city government by opening cooling centers around town in several community centers where residents and visitors can take a break and enjoy some air conditioning. In addition, residents can ride the air conditioned, green/sustainable energy, city buses free, to and from these centers.
The Fresno FAX bus system connects with the City of Clovis Stageline buses. Clovis calls their ADA bus services "The Roundup", the western names recalling the California Gold Rush and early transportation services. Nearby the City of Fresno, Clovis was recognized in the state as the Number One Place to Raise Families.
Transportation is good overall in Fresno County, and the city supports Amtrak, Greyhound, and two airports. Approximately two dozen taxi services also operate in Fresno.
The city supports three official historic districts, with several additional districts under rview and refurbishing. The three official districts historically important are:
- Chandler Field/Fresno Municipal Airport - One the main airport of the city/county, Chandler serves as an executive airport.
- The Porter Tract - Construction began during WWI for a college and a high school among residential units. Most of the residences were built under the supervision of John Porter, who lived to be 94 and died in 1970. All his homes were two-storied and of a similar design.
- The Wilson Island - Largely built between 1910 and 1984, thee 80 homes are of the Period Revival and Prairie architecture styles, the latter being made popular by Frank Lloyd Wright. Not really an island, the neighborhood is named for the fammily that began its development and a pattern of dead end streets.
Additional refurbished area will include a Cathedral District, A Craftsman Era set of residences, a Warehouse District, a Park District, and an area recalling the original entrance to Fresno along Van Ness Avenue, as well as others.
Yosemite, Sequoia and Death Valley National Parks
Local Places to Visit
At least three national parks and two national forests are located north and east of the Fresno metro area. The parks off year round activities and relaxation in nature.
Nearby places to enjoy:
- Best Spring Water Companies in America
Home of the best water bottled from actual local springs.
- Gilroy Garlic Festival and Local Farm Markets
The Gilroy Garlic Festival is one of the largest celebrations of food and fun in the USA since 1978. South of San Francisco, with free RV parking and a free shuttle from parking lots to the festival.
- Jobs and Culture in San Jose and Silicon Valley
San Jose is home to a major Internet Search Engine, a growing job market, and many vacation attractions.
- Hot Jobs in Modesto CA
Modesto began in a wheat field in the 1870s, built by the American railroad industry.
Fresno & Madeira
Largest Employers in the City of Fresno
- Aetna - Insurance
- Beef Packers Inc - Meat packing
- California State University
- Cargill Meat Solutions - Retail meats
- Community Medical Centers
- Foster Farms - Poultry
- Fresno City College
- Fresno County Economic Office, Education Dept, Health Dept
- Fresno County Sheriff
- Fresno Metropolitan Regional - County
- Fresno Police Dept & Management
- Kaiser Permanente - Health and Medical
- Play It Safe Int'l - Safety consultants
- Shehadey Pavilion at St Agnes Hospital
- St Agnes Medical Center
- US Veterans Hospital
Additional Local Large Employers, City, and Industry
- Corrections Dept - Coalinga; State Correctional Institutions
- Daniel C Salas Harvesting - Coalinga; Fruits & Vegetable Growers & Shippers
- Harris Ranch Beef Company - Selma; Meat Packers
- Ito Packing Company Inc - Reedley; Wholesale Exporters
- Pelco International Operations - Clovis; Wholesale Security Equip & Systems
- S Stamoules Inc - Mendota; Wholesale Fruits & Vegetables
Jobs Continue to Increase in the Fresno Market
Skilled Trades & Construction
An additional ten occupational titles that are also fast-growing in Fresno include:
- Engineering Managers
- Cost Estimators
- Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters
- Medical Assistants
- Trades Helpers--Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile & Marble Setters
- Slaughterers and Meat Packers
- Mainstream Preschool Teachers
- Hosts and Hostesses for the Restaurant, Lounge, and Coffee Shop
These jobs center on Skilled Trades and the Service Industry, and indicate the growth of construction in this part of California and the expansion of Education and Healthcare.
Top 10 Fastest Growing Jobs in Fresno
The fastest growing jobs in this area of California include many Skilled Trades, as well as Computer/IT careers and Medical/Healthcare Occupations.
A sign of increasing employment opportunities includes the #6 slot in this Top 10 List: Employment, Recruitment, and Placement Specialists. The fastest growing jobs in the Fresno area include:
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts (IT)
- Home Health Aides (HHA)
- Tile and Marble Setters
- Computer Software Engineers, Applications (IT)
- Network and Computer Systems Administrators (IT)
- Employment, Recruitment, and Placement Specialists
- Merchandisers/Window Trimmers
- Cement Masons/Concrete Finishers
- Personal and Home Care Aides
The largest number of summer hires occur in the following job titles:
- Retail Salesperson
- Starbucks Shift Supervisor
- Beauty Salon Chain Hair Stylist
Medical Mentors in the Central Valley of California
Largest Numbers of Jobs Occur in These Fields
The following occupations offer the largest number of total job openings every year in the City of Fresno and Fresno County.
- Farm Workers - Crops, Nursery, and Greenhouse
- Retail Sales
- All Food Preparation and Serving Workers
- Waiters and Waitresses
- Teacher Assistants
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers
- Genral Office Clerks
Snapshot: High Demand Jobs, June 2014
- Occupational Therapists and Physical Therapists
- Shift Supervisors and Baristas - Casual dining and fast food.
- Computer Engineers and IT Specialists/Technicians
- Registered Nurses - RN, NP, LVN
- Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, other food places - Managers and crew
- Hair Stylists
- Pharmacy Interns and Technicians
- Merchandisers and Salespeople
- Disney Online jobs
- Management Trainees - Various fields.
Fresno Metropolitan Museum
Colleges and Unversities
- Alliant International University
- California Christian College
- California State University, Fresno
- Fresno City College : Home
- Fresno Pacific University - Home
- Heald College of Business
- Maric College
- Mennonite Brethren Bible Seminary
- National University Brook College of Law
- Quality College of Culinary
- San Joaquin College of Law
- San Joaquin Valley College
- University of California San Francisco-Fresno
Grizzlies Mascot, Parker
Sports in Fresno
- Fresno Grizzlies - Baseball -- Player Gino Espineli was accepted onto the Beijing 2008 Summer Olympics USA team.
- Fresno Falcons - ECHL
- Central Valley Coyotes - Arena Football
- Fresno Fuego - Soccer
More by this Author
Business and employment are growing in 21st century Sacramento, one of the Top 25 Best US Cities for Business in, according to major business analysts, Forbes and US News & World Report. Lucrative careers are...
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!
After writing resumes, cover letters, and job applications, candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. Here's what to avoid saying during the interview.