Functions of Leadership
Functions of Leadership
Leadership functions of a manager are related with his managerial functions. The leaser as a manger has to set the group goal, motivate and inspire subordinates, make plans, and supervise performance. Over and above these managerial functions he has to perform some other functions as a Leader. They are:
Functions of a Manager Leader
1. To act as a representative of the work-group: Leader is the
link between the top management and the work group. He has to
communicate the problems and difficulties of the work group to the
management and the expectation of the management to the work group. He
act as a link between the top management and the work group.
2. To develop team spirit: One of the core function of the Leader manager is that to create a team spirit in between the members of the group. They should act as a team rather than performing as individuals. It is his responsibility to create a pleasant atmosphere keeping in view the subordinates needs, potential abilities and competence.
3. To act as a counselor of the people at work: When the subordinates face problems at work, which may be technical or emotional, the leader has to guide and advise the subordinate concerned. There may be situation which are out of control, in that situation, leader must stand behind the subordinate to encourage and support and find a solution for the problem.
4. Proper use of Power: Leader must be careful while exercising his power or authority in relation to his subordinates. According to the situation he may exercise different types of powers like reward power, corrective power, coercive power, expert power, formal or informal power etc., for the positive response from his subordinate. Make sure that while using the power the response from his subordinate should not yield a negative response to the group work. Leader must analyze the situation before exercising his power.
5. Time Management: Leader must ensure the timely completion of the work while ensuring the quality and efficiency of the work. At different stages, the work should be complete according to the plan. The timely completion of the individual tasks will ensure the completion of the group work. Leader should monitor and ensure the individual task at different stages are accomplished as per the plan.
6. Secure effectiveness of group-effort: To get the maximum contribution towards the achievement of objectives the leader must delegate authority, ensure the availability of the adequate resources, provide for a reward system to improve the efficiency of capable workmen, invite participation of employees in decision making and communicate necessary information to the employees.
More by this Author
In Kerala many pentecostal groups do not wear ornaments. If you ask "why you are not wearing ornaments?", the new generation has different answers. Now I remember the story of a Pandit (or called Poojari...
Integration of all the elements of promotion mix is necessary to meet the information requirements of all target customers. This simply means that the promotion mix is not designed to satisfy only the prospective...
The objectives of an audit may broadly be classified as 1. Primary Objectives 2. Secondary objectives. Primary Objectives: The main purpose of audit is to judge the reliability of the financial statements and the...