Work And Jobs In Garden City, Michigan
A City of Firsts
Incorporated in 1933, Garden City is a town inside the Greater Detroit Metro Area in Wayne County and enjoys a population of around 38,000 individuals as of 2014, with over 80% of adults possessing a high school diploma or higher education credential.
This town benefits from increasing job numbers in the metro area that includes tens of thousands of job listings advertised daily.
The Healthcare and Social Services Industries make up the bulk of the local economy. However, Retail Sales accounts for over $4 million of the local economy and the Accommodations Industry contributes about $270K.
From 2008 - 2016, the cost of living index in Garden City has been about 80, indicating a lower cost than average. This is below the national average of the US of 100 (%) and 71% of workers earn between $30,000 - 90,000 yearly; 30% earn between $50 - 75K annually.
Housing is the most economical segment of the low cost of living index, scoring a 46 against the national 100.
Major Employers Of The Garden City Area:
- Botsford Hospital - Also called Beaumont Hospital, affiliated with the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine. This includes eight separate medical facilities in three counties.
- Cimarron - Trucking and Freight
- Garden City Hospital
- Garden City Osteopathic Hospital
- St. Mary's Hospital - Livonia, Michigan
- Ford Motor Company - Livonia
- Crestwood Dodge Inc. - Famous for their TV commercials.
Good Things About Garden City: Arts and Culture, Professional Sports, Low Cost of Living.— Sperling's Best Places
Garden City is home to three "firsts" in the Dining and Retail Industries.
- These food services include the first drive-thru McDonalds, the first Little Ceasar's Pizza Treat (opened by Mike (Detroit Tigers shortstop) & Marian Ilitch in 1959); and
- Retail -- The very first KMart store was opened here.
All three stores listed above are still in business!
Some people report that the 12st McDonalds drive-thru window was opened in Arizona, but that was in 1974 and old timers in Garden City remember the McDonalds Drive Thru in their hometown launching in the late 50s or in the 60s. Garden City was first.
The cities joining Garden City as suburbs of Detroit include Dearborn Heights, Romulus, Farmington, Canton, Wayne, Westland, Livonia, Redford, and Inkster. Garden City itself was patterened after 19th century English gardens and was begun on 160 acres of land received by a private individual from Andrew Jackson in the 19th century.
KMart First Store
In Garden City in 1962, Kmart #4000 was the very first Kmart to open. Why it was numbered at "4000", we do not know. The store opened on March 1st, 1962 and remains open today.
Garden City Map Of Firsts
Garden City Area Attractions
Top 10 Local Jobs in Garden City and Detroit Suburbs
- Over 7,000 engineering positions, and additional technician jobs
- Truck Drivers - CDL; company and owner-operator.
- IT positions with major companies
- Occupational and Physical Therapists
- Store Managers and Assistant Managers, Retail Salespeople
- Computer Equipment Mfg. jobs
- Healthcare and related jobs in hospitals
- Market Researchers
- Retail Sales & Marketing Representatives
- Account Executives - sales related positions such as in Financial Services.
Major Engineering Companies Near Garden City
Ford Motor Company, Harman International, ZF TRW, United States Navy Reserve.
Garden City enjoyed access to over 40,000 job postings in or nearby the town during March 2016. These jobs involved healthcare, trucking jobs, retail sales, food service - and work with the University of Michigan in over 400 positions alone.
Around The Community
- Davenport University - Dearborn
- Dorsey Business Schools
- Henry Ford Community College
- ITT Technical Institute
- Lawrence Technological University - Southfield
- Madonna University
- Schoolcraft College: Radcliff-Garden City
- University of Michigan - Dearborn
- Virginia Farrell Beauty Schools
- Wayne State University - Detroit.
Special Needs Schools
Burger School For Students With Autism - This facility supports preschool through high school grades for Wayne County, Michigan. Ages 3 through 26 are accepted, with ages 3 through 16 instructed in as separate building.
Burger School for Students with Autism is committed to maximizing the potential of each student to gain independent and self-fulfillment.— Masthead of Burger Bulletin
Burger School Campuses
Local Hungarian Citera Performance by Edina Teglasi
Award Winning Local Magician - Pokemon Card Competition
Garden City Middle School (1st place Div1) - 2014 Michigan State Pom Pon Competition
Community Corner Recipe
View the videos presented at right for local businesses and other interesting activities in Garden City.
The following recipe is one submitted by an anonymous cook to a Garden City Michigan newsletter. These popcorn balls could be adapted for any season or holiday of the year, by your choice of appropriate colors.
COLORFUL POPCORN BALLS
- 9 cups of popped popcorn
- 1/4 cup (4 ounces) of butter or margarine
- 1 bag (10 ounces) of large marshmallows - white or colored
- 6 Tablespoons of fruit-flavored gelatin mix, your choice
- Put popcorn into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt your butter and marshmallows over low heat.
- Stir in gelatin until completely dissolved.
- Pour gelatin over popcorn and toss to coat evenly.
- When cool, lightly butter your hands and quickly shape the mixture into popcorn balls, either large or small or both.
© 2008 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
The active Bakken Oil Field has taken over the state with vacant jobs waiting to be filled. Hundreds of oil wells have been OK'd for drilling in 2014 - 2016.
The Top 10 Employers of Ohio include two large universities, two major hospitals, two sectors of government, two aerospace and aviation employers, and two private manufacturing corporations, with more to come.
After writing resumes, cover letters, and job applications, candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. Here's what to avoid saying during the interview.