Government Procurement Fun Facts
Fun Facts about Government Procurement
- Office supply company Staples publishes an 8000 item catalog directed at US government procurement agents. The catalog is available online and in printed form. Staples estimates that nearly 2 million printed catalogs are distributed each year.
- In late 2008, Chicago Public School officials purchased 30 cappuccino machines for a culinary arts program. Although the total cost was $67,000, procurement agents were accused of structuring the payments such that no invoice exceeded $10,000. This strategy allowed competitive bidding regulations and school board approval to be bypassed. Investigators observed that the same machines were available online for about 20% less.
- General Motors provides an online shopping program for government vehicles. At www.gmfleet.com/government, potential customers can browse a virtual vehicle showroom, compare warranties, and check out alternative fuel vehicles.
- The Association of Procurement Technical Assistance Centers (APTAC) represents 94 PTACs (Procurement Technical Assistance Centers) that provide assistance to businesses competing for government contracts.
- The State of Ohio procures people. This recent listing from procure.ohio.gov declared the requirements for a 2-year position in the Ohio Department of Public Safety:
- Government consumption declined steadily in comparison to Gross Domestic Product (GDP). From 1954 to 2000, good and services purchased by the US government declined from 28% to less than 10% of GDP. Refer to the graph below.
Government Consumption vs GDP
Fiscal Year 2008 U.S. Government Energy Consumption by Agency (top 5 agencies)
Energy Consumption (in trillions of BTUs)
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE12
Data Hiding is an aspect of Object Oriented Programming (OOP) that allows developers to protect private data and hide implementation details. In this tutorial we examine basic data hiding techniques in Java.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE5
A useful text editor is an essential component of any personal computer. Every day we need to make notes, compose documents, and record vital pieces of information. We depend on our text editor. Microsoft provided...
Ever been to a NASCAR race? I thought not. Here are my top 10 reasons why NASCAR racing doesn't rock.