Top 10 Hot Jobs in Harrisburg-Lebanon-Carlisle PA
Harrisburg is on Several TOP Lists
This Metropolitan Area and local labor market is near the celebrated city of Hershey, Pennsylvania and located in the Susquehanna River Valley across Dauphin, Cumberland, and Lebanon Counties. The four anchor cities of this metro area are Carlisle, Harrisburg, Hershey, and Lebanon, all of which are generally less than an hour's drive from one another.
Harrisburg is a leader as one of the 100 Best Communities for Young Peoplein America and the larger Greater Harrisburg Area is among the Top 25 Best Medium Sized Cities for Jobs and Business in the US as well. It is recommended for mid-careerists, young adult professionals, and workers that want to raise families.
This area is called the Capital Region and encompasses all four cities around the PA State Capital of Harrisburg. The region is steeped in the history of colonialization, the American Revolution and the Civil War as well as by the famous Hershey's Chocolate.
Greater Harrisburg has undergone revitalization and a thrust toward green industries and sustainability, while targeting its youth for education and training programs to ensure them well-paying jobs in the future. Three of these programs include:
- Black Achievers: Mentoring and education program that matches successful African Americans in business with youth from grades 8 - college. Many college graduates then return to the program as mentors for others.
- On Second Thought & Cares for Youth:Peer Education Leadership Programs for health education. targets unhealthy sex attitudes and other agendas. Participants maintain a GPA of 2.5+ and a set code of conduct.
- Students Helping Our Communities: Targets at-risk ages youth 8 - 17 for volunteerism, community pride & ownership, independence, and positive self-esteem. Offers academic tutoring as well.
The other anchor cities in the Harrisburg metro area are also involved in revitalization, building or reconstruction with green building materials and techniques, and the development of additional parks, pathways, and open spaces as well as alternative and sustainable energy. Hershey may appear to be an amusement park, especially when lit at night, but it has its share of green intiatives as well.
The nearby City of Lebanon was named the Second Least Stressful City in the United States in the 2000s. Sperling’s BestPlaces did this survey and found Harrisburg and Carlisle to have low crime, low divorce rates, short avg commuting times & low unemployment. Hershey is economically healthy because of the chocolate based retail, amusement, and tourism & accommodations and hospitality trade. All of this area is also known as Amish Country, which brings additional tourism and other retail dollars into the area.
- Top 10 Hot Spots in Pennsylvania
Hot Spots in Pennsylvania that are interesting, fun, and some that you have never considered.
- Top 5 Hot Pennsylvania Dutch Travel Destinations
Lancaster County, Pennsylvania is the long-time home to groups of people that together comprise the Plain People, but there's much more than than meets the eye in these wonderful folks.
SE Central Pennsylvania
Largest Metro Area Employers
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania State Government
- US Federal Government
- Hershey Foods Corp.
- Highmark Blue Shield - Insurance
- Tyco Electronics Corp.- Electronics
- Penn State Hershey Medical Center
- Penn State Childrens Hospital
- Pinnacle Health
- Labor & Industry - Harrisburg; state inpections.
- Additional Health Facilities
Top 10 Metro Jobs That Offer the Most Openings
- Transportation & Related Material Moving Jobs
- Food Preparation and Service
- Management Occupations
- Office and Administrative Support
- Healthcare Practitioners and Technicians
- Material Moving Workers - Non-transport
- Sales and Related Positions
- Motor Vehicle Operators
- Education, Training, and Library Service
- Business & Financial Operations
Jobs Increased Since January 2008
Additional Fast-Growing Jobs in IT, Health & Business
- Computers & Mathematics Jobs
- Computer Specialists
- Healthcare Support Jobs
- Health Technicians/Technologists
- Health Diagnosing & Treating Professionals
- Personal Care and Service
- Information/Records Clerks
- Food and Beverage Service
- Building/Grounds Cleaning & Maintenance
- Business Operations Specialists
Top 10 Fast-Growing Occupations
The jobs in the following list are exanding in numbers by high percentages, anywhere from 50% to 100% increases. The BOLD entries offer the highest numbers of jobs in this list.
- Geological & Petroleum Technicians - Energy - Natural Gase, Oil, other.
- College-Level Area, Ethnic & Cultural Studies Teachers - Education
- Museum Technicians & Conservators - Culture/Arts, Tourism, Education
- Occupational Therapist Aides - Health
- Tree Trimmers/Pruners - Lanscaping, sustainability. conservation.
- Motorboat Mechanics - Recreation and Tourism.
- Environmental Engineers - Conservation, green building, and sustainability.
- Aerospace Engineering & Operations Technicians
- Network Systems & Data Communications Analysts
- Home Health Aides - Highest number of new jobs on the list.
Green industries and sustainable energy occupations are rising in importance and numbers of jobs created annually, requiring additioal skiiled IT (computer) professionals in those fields as well. Aerospace jobs are growing inthis are adjacent to The US Space Coast.
Harrisburg - Hershey - Lebanon - Carlisle
Higher Education and Sport Teams
Education and Training Institutions
These facilities provide professional and technical training in all of the occupations and industries listed above. Environmental Law in particular is a growing field that some have not yet considered as a profession.
- Dickinson College Dixon University Center
- Harrisburg Area Community College – Multiple Locations.
- Harrisburg University of Science and Technology
- Penn State Dickinson Law School
- Penn State Harrisburg Eastgate Center
- Temple University Harrisburg Campus.
- United States Army War College
- Widener University Harrisburg Campus & School of Law
Sports teams in a variety of conferences and leagues offer recreational and some employment opportunities. Some of the educational facilities above have teams in addition to those listed below.
- American Hockey League - The Hershey Bears - Hershey PA
- Harrisburg City Islanders USL Soccer
- Harrisburg Horizon EBA Basketball
- Harrisburg Lunatics PIHA In-line Skate Hockey
- Harrisburg Senators EL Baseball
- Harrisburg Stampede AIFA Indoor Football
Employment with Hersey Entertainment & Resorts is available through this portal: www.hersheyjobs.com/.
Hersheys publishes lists of jobs that include full-time, part-time, and seasonal positions nd interested workers can sign up for email notification of new jobs and work related news at Hersheys. Facilities for work include gift shops, a museum, dining facilities, and the candy making plant itself as well as other venues.
Hersheys offers college internships and attends local employment Fairs as well in search of good applicants for their open positions and emerging new jobs.
Hershey Park Lightning Racer
The PennDutch Inn Mystery Series by Tamar Myers
More by this Author
New York City is committed to maintaining and expanding parks, waterways, greenways, and energy-efficient commercial building & urban renewal. The city is known as the Greenest Big City in America.
Job listings in New Jersey doubled in the four years between January 2010 to January 2014.
Since 2010, news from BLOOMBERG BUSINESSWEEK has been that Canada and Australia were little touched by The Great Recession. New jobs continue to increase.